Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 26th March 2008, 20:52   #16
Rai
BHPian

Default No more RPM Problem

Hi All,
After the throttle Body Cleanup 10 days back I absolutely DO NOT have this problem anymore.
I tried all sort of Driving Style and voila...Problem is GONE.
Thanks guys for good suggetion.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 21:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hip Hip Hooooray! FIAT Throttle Body ki Jai!!!

Why havent i heard of throttle bodies in other cars going "kaput"!!! Is it only with FIAT?!!
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 11:05   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Hi All,
After the throttle Body Cleanup 10 days back I absolutely DO NOT have this problem anymore.
I tried all sort of Driving Style and voila...Problem is GONE.
Thanks guys for good suggetion.
Good to hear Rai. Enjoy driving. Rev all you want. Have a ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Hip Hip Hooooray! FIAT Throttle Body ki Jai!!!

Why havent i heard of throttle bodies in other cars going "kaput"!!! Is it only with FIAT?!!
That is because all Fiat enthusiasts are so conditioned from hearing of problems with service centres, that they first check with friends about possible solutions for problems before going to the service centre.

Also, if you keep facing problems with the service centres (I have not, not once with my Fiat) you tend to become a bit of a mechanic yourself, and therefore are more comfortable discussing matters below the hood even if your are not an "enthusiast".
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 12:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi Gemi,

> Why havent i heard of throttle bodies in other cars going "kaput"!!! Is it only
> with FIAT?!!

I had pointed him to a message in PUG by the good doctor.

He has mentioned that it is for the 1.6 engine only. So maybe some design issue or extra sensitivity to dirt.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 12:46   #20
BHPian

I see a similar pattern emerging in my Lancer lately. Guess throttle body clean-up is the best bet. I showed it to a mechanic in Navi Mumbai and he had no clear-cut idea what the problem could be.

He said it could be the ignition coil, the spark plugs, rpm sensor.
wanderlustindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 12:49   #21
BHPian

I had to have my Maruti 800's throttle body cleaned twice or thrice in four years. So, I think its not only Fiats that have this problem, or even 1.6's more precisely.
Old 27th March 2008, 23:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

Rai. Sorry to hijack your thread. THought i could use this same thread instead of starting another.

My Adventure has started showing irregular rpms. These are the details
- 3 weeks back i start the car and i see the rpm meter dancing between 300 and 2000 mark. Luckily THings become fine after some time.
- The same thing repeats after another week.
- Today i see the rpm meter settling at 1.1K after some running. When the accelerator is pressed the rpm falls to 200 and the engine stalls unless you move the car with the clutch slightly pressed.
- Once engine is switched off for 10 min everything is normal till a few minutes of running.
- Checked ECU on computer but no errors.
- On the last 40 liters i could run only 300km!!!! So the mileage has taken a good hit.
- Acceleration feels a bit slow once in a while. Not sure if its just a feeling.

I went to the service centre and the guy says he could change the throttle body. HE says that there is nothing to clean in the throttle body. Say the spare its just a butterfly valve. I also did felt that there is nothing really to clean in there. Since i am still under warranty i think its better to get it changed. But want to confirm if its really the throttle body. What do the symptoms look like?
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 11:05   #23
BHPian

Hi Gemi, most often these erratic rpm problems are traced to sticky throttle body or dirty sensors. I am no expert, and am speaking from what I have learnt from my mechanics and these forums in the past. I suggest you delve through the archives of team-bhp and pug and fiat club and you will definitely find more information.
Old 30th January 2009, 18:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
- Today i see the rpm meter settling at 1.1K after some running. When the accelerator is pressed the rpm falls to 200 and the engine stalls unless you move the car with the clutch slightly pressed.
i am facing the same issue since day before yesterday. i had cleaned the TB during June '08.

how is your 1.6 running? did you solve your car's erratic RPM problem?

Last edited by planet_rocker : 30th January 2009 at 18:02.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 12:12   #25
BHPian

Hi My petra 1.6ELX also completed 50K and is giving me the same problems as you have described. So I guess I have to get the throttle body looked into. Thanks for sharing, hopefully problem will be solved.
shbhrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 16:03   #26
DRC
BHPian

there is a stepper motor in the throttle body to control the idling, which acts up sometimes. Check and get it cleaned. solved.
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote