Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread

Old 6th December 2009, 16:49   #16
BHPian

Default Opel Corsa Fuel Efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_7703 View Post
Everybody knows that Opel Corsa does not return a good FE. Iam sure average KMPL for an opel COrsa would be less than 10 in city and 12-14 in highway. My Corsa 1.4 GSI returns 7-8 in city without AC, 10-12 in highways with 40% AC ON.
I have a 2001 Opel Corsa Sport. Use it for long trips, going to Kerala and back. Returns a FE of 14.5 Km/L with 100% A/C on. Use normal petrol with Iftex System-G or Speed.
Old 6th May 2010, 16:18   #17
BHPian

You simply have to live with it. There is very little you can do to get a higher fuel economy. It is a well documented fact about the car. You should not have bought it when you knew this would happen. Anyway having said that I know how every one likes a better FE.

Here is what I do to achieve that.
  1. Change gears between 2500 - 3000 RPM.
  2. Add System - G Fuel Additive or try and use higher octane fuel.
  3. Have the air filter cleaned regularly.
  4. The car responds poorly to bad fuel, So get the jets etc etc cleaned. (Basically go to GM and tell them you got bad fuel in the car and insist that you see the process. At the GM I visit I am known as the LAL SWING WALA KADHOOS by the mechanics because I make them actually do the work instead of just washing the car and giving it back. )
  5. See if your spark plugs are working correctly. When they don't work properly, fuel is wasted as it is not completely combusted.
  6. Get the engine decarbed regularly. Very important.
  7. 1 or 2 PSi more in all the tires.
With all this I get an average of 8 - 10 in the city and 12 on the highway. With the A/C on full.
Hope this helps.
Old 28th June 2010, 15:47   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Get the engine decarbed regularly. Very important.
  1. 1 or 2 PSi more in all the tires.
With all this I get an average of 8 - 10 in the city and 12 on the highway. With the A/C on full.
Hope this helps.
Hi , I agree with most of the tips. But frequent de-carbing is not required. de-carb if not properly done could have some adverse affects on the cylinder head ( from personal experience ) .

I would also say, get the throttlebody cleaned. all these help.
Te authorised dealers also have a 'target' , they have to give the 'numbers' to their managers, hence push for de-carb .

also, getting just a free flow headers only and removing the cat-con, makes corsa driving a pleasure .

I love my corsa !!
Old 29th June 2010, 16:22   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
Hi , I agree with most of the tips. But frequent de-carbing is not required. de-carb if not properly done could have some adverse affects on the cylinder head ( from personal experience ) .
Decarbing only has adverse affects on a cylinder head if it is done after a lot of mileage. If it is done say every 45K kms, your engine will be in perfect condition. As wear increases carbon acts as a filler and hardens inside gaps etc and if it is removed the engine will in all probability require an overhaul.
Old 29th June 2010, 16:56   #20
buz
BHPian

Quote:

also, getting just a free flow headers only and removing the cat-con, makes corsa driving a pleasure .
Hi,

Can you please explain by free flow headers and what is the cat-con? I could try these in my car as I have already had the engine decarb-ed and still get a mileage of only 8 kmpl in the city.
Old 29th June 2010, 17:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Decarbing only has adverse affects on a cylinder head if it is done after a lot of mileage. If it is done say every 45K kms, your engine will be in perfect condition. As wear increases carbon acts as a filler and hardens inside gaps etc and if it is removed the engine will in all probability require an overhaul.
hi, yes you are right. What I mean is , the de-carb must be done properly. The car has to be maintained at a steady rpm during the process. some technicians in a rush, keep the car at a higher rpm for a prolonged time, thinking it cleans better and faster .

the proper way to de-carb would be to dismantle the engine, pull it apart and clean it.

also, I have seen SA's reccomending a de-carb for the first time to cars that have clocked 80K plus miles.

source: close friend who is a service advisor at Hyndai ***
Old 29th June 2010, 20:34   #22
BHPian

Quote:
hi, yes you are right. What I mean is , the de-carb must be done properly. The car has to be maintained at a steady rpm during the process. some technicians in a rush, keep the car at a higher rpm for a prolonged time, thinking it cleans better and faster .

the proper way to de-carb would be to dismantle the engine, pull it apart and clean it.

also, I have seen SA's reccomending a de-carb for the first time to cars that have clocked 80K plus miles.

source: close friend who is a service advisor at Hyndai ***
Very good point there. It is a delicate process and must be done by properly trained techs.

Well opening the engine every time is certainly not viable for most people.

I can't comment on Hyundai cars' decarb requirments as I have never owned one myself. But IMO 80K is bordering on risky for an Opel.
Old 2nd July 2010, 01:17   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buz View Post
Hi,

Can you please explain by free flow headers and what is the cat-con? I could try these in my car as I have already had the engine decarb-ed and still get a mileage of only 8 kmpl in the city.
8 is decent in my opinion. See a few of my previous posts about how to get better FE in the Corsa. A free flow exhaust will not improve the FE of the car. Cat-con (catalytic converter) is a part of the exhaust system. It causes a reaction with the exhaust fumes to make the car more environment friendly. It also slows down the flow of the exhaust gasses. Google it to find out more. The Wikipedia article seems accurate enough to me.

Note from Mod : Please continue the discussion in the maximum Fuel-Efficiency article (ARTICLE: How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency)

Last edited by GTO : 2nd July 2010 at 17:56. Reason: Adding thread closure note
Closed Thread