Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th March 2008, 11:44   #1
BHPian

Default Swift VXI Tail light - A query

As my Swift VXI has been only driven by me, never had an opportunity to check out the back of the car with lights on. My query is whether the tail panel on the rear bumper a reflector or a tailight ? When I inspected it I found that no lights are coming on. Checked with flooring the brake pedal too !!
But I had observed it to be working on some Swifts on the road. ? Checked the manual and it only mentions the top tailight on the hatch door .
I felt some wires behind the bumper panel from below. Thinking of getting it checked after some guidance on the thread.
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 11:49   #2
BHPian

Same thing happens on my friend's Ldi.

To me it looks like that it is used as a tail light only in top end verions -Vdi & Zxi(I might be wrong). In the other versions-Lxi,Vxi and Ldi , it is just a reflector or might also be a empty box with no bulb inside.

BTW: Cant it be the rear fog light instead of brake light??
revved_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 11:54   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
In the other versions-Lxi,Vxi and Ldi , it is just a reflector or might also be a empty box with no bulb inside.

Thats completely incorrect. Its a puddle-lamp for use in highway driving. You turn it on by the actuator next to the main headlamp control switch on the same stalk.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 11:56   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
You turn it on by the actuator next to the main headlamp control switch on the same stalk.
But AFAIK, that actuator is fixed and non movable on a Swift Ldi, have not got a chance to check that on any other variants.
Old 7th March 2008, 11:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Woow mag,i never knew this,I believe its the same case with many swift owners too.Thanks for the info buddie.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 12:15   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
As my Swift VXI has been only driven by me, never had an opportunity to check out the back of the car with lights on. My query is whether the tail panel on the rear bumper a reflector or a tailight ? When I inspected it I found that no lights are coming on. Checked with flooring the brake pedal too !!
But I had observed it to be working on some Swifts on the road. ? Checked the manual and it only mentions the top tailight on the hatch door .
I felt some wires behind the bumper panel from below. Thinking of getting it checked after some guidance on the thread.
The same light is there on the WagonR VXi which I won. The rear light should come on when you turn the actuator switch next to the headlamp switch to full.

It should work the same way with your car too since its a VXi. If it doesn't, get it checked at your next servicing, cos IMHO, its not an urgent thing.
elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 12:24   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But AFAIK, that actuator is fixed and non movable on a Swift Ldi, have not got a chance to check that on any other variants.
It cannot be turned on independantly. The headlight switch must be turned on fully first for the puddle lamp control switch to be turned on.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 12:25   #8
BHPian

Oh,ok thanks for the info will check that out!
And wat is the use of a puddle lamp at the rear bumper?
Old 7th March 2008, 12:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
And wat is the use of a puddle lamp at the rear bumper?
Exactly, what i thougth all this time was 'puddle light' is something you usually find in SUV's and other tall vehicle and that it is located on the bottom of the door... so when you swing the door open, the light glows so that you dont step into a puddle... is it not??
Spinnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 13:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

is that a rear fog lamp or a puddle lamp. i thought the puddle lamps are present on the doors panels, front and rear bumpers' sides. the ones in the swifts and wagon Rs (vxi) are rear fog lamps IMO.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 13:19   #11
BHPian

AFAIK Maruti calls it as "rear fog lamp" and it exists in Vxi ( which is my car) and Ldi ( which is my friends car).

As @Mag has expained, the headlight has to be switched on, then the separate control alongside has to be switched on;you can see the corresponding indicator illuminated in the instrument panel.

Last edited by menonrajesh : 7th March 2008 at 13:21.
menonrajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 13:28   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Woow mag,i never knew this,I believe its the same case with many swift owners too.Thanks for the info buddie.
ram
Its the same even in the SX4. The SX4 has only 1 reverse lamp i.e. in the LHS tail light cluster. In the RHS cluster, the reverse lamp is missing and that place is used as a Rear Fog Lamp and the procedure to put it on is the same as in the Swift.

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 7th March 2008 at 13:30.
prince85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 14:05   #13
BHPian

Thanks Mag, it was indeed a revelation to me reg. the process of switching it on. Will try this out.
I cannot understand why the User Manual is silent about all this..
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 14:17   #14
BHPian

Still confused ..what can this be used for ?
2theMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 14:38   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
Still confused ..what can this be used for ?
hmm..Thats a question I can just think that 'its just another tail lamp'.
To be frank, I have never thought it as much useful. Still I switch it on when I hit highway / fog.
menonrajesh is offline   Reply With Quote