Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2014, 18:43   #31
BHPian
 
DeepakMenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 261
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: Detecting worn engine mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Thanks SirAlec That would be close to Rs.6000 here, but it doesn't say its for the W124s. I found these at Eurocarparts:

--------------
Lemforder Engine Mount (Left & Right) Part No.: 337220675
Lemforder Engine Mount (Left & Right) List Price 78.50
Our Price 53.40
--------------
Q-Drive Engine Mount (Left & Right, Right) Part No.: 337220140
Q-Drive Engine Mount (Left & Right, Right) List Price 59.30
Our Price 28.74
--------------
Q-Drive Engine Mount (Left & Right, Left) Part No.: 337220670
Q-Drive Engine Mount (Left & Right, Left) List Price 78.50
Our Price 29.94

Lemforder,Qdrive.. Out of these, which is the one that is used originally in a W124.

On W124 Engine mounts, prefer OEM Lemforder is good, however the OEM is better manufactured

But before you jump into buying, have you measured your engine mounts to see if they need replacement? unless they have already leaked out

E220 OEM Part number :A1242401717

The above is for cars with Air Conditioner

Cheapest on internet link below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1242401717-M...-/110565665698
DeepakMenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 22:47   #32
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,451 Times
Default Re: Detecting worn engine mounts

I am planning to change the mounts for my swift VDI (2008) as well. The vibes are perceptible primarily on the steering wheel (only at idle). They aren't unmanageable, but they have come in the last 10k (car is now at 110k) km, and I'm thinking of changing it. Are there any other causes I should rule out before I ask MASS to make the change?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 23:41   #33
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,357
Thanked: 13,308 Times
Default Re: Detecting worn engine mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I am planning to change the mounts for my swift VDI (2008) as well. The vibes are perceptible primarily on the steering wheel (only at idle). They aren't unmanageable, but they have come in the last 10k (car is now at 110k) km, and I'm thinking of changing it. Are there any other causes I should rule out before I ask MASS to make the change?
Is this the first time the mounts are being changed since purchase?

How does the car feel on cranking, shut down and while steady pace cruising?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 00:05   #34
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,451 Times
Default Re: Detecting worn engine mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Is this the first time the mounts are being changed since purchase?

How does the car feel on cranking, shut down and while steady pace cruising?

Anurag.
First time indeed.

On cranking there is a definite vibration which is felt, much lesser on shutdown, and no vibration at all while on the move.

The vibes are only at idle.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 00:09   #35
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,357
Thanked: 13,308 Times
Default Re: Detecting worn engine mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
First time indeed.

On cranking there is a definite vibration which is felt, much lesser on shutdown, and no vibration at all while on the move.

The vibes are only at idle.
I guess they are on their end.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 08:30   #36
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 818
Thanked: 1,647 Times
Default Re: Detecting worn engine mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Are there any other causes I should rule out before I ask MASS to make the change?
You could also check the alternator / A/c belts. If they are loose or towards the end of their life / worn out, there would be similar vibrations.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 11:07   #37
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,451 Times
Default Re: Detecting worn engine mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
You could also check the alternator / A/c belts. If they are loose or towards the end of their life / worn out, there would be similar vibrations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I guess they are on their end.

Anurag.
So I rechecked and here's my observation -
Steering wheel - Clutch - Gearshift
Startup Slight Significant X
Idle Slight(like a low intensity hum) X X
Shutdown Slight Significant X

At shutdown, the vibes are felt in the seat/cabin as well.

Does that help diagnose better?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 18:03   #38
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,357
Thanked: 13,308 Times
Default Re: Detecting worn engine mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Does that help diagnose better?
Yes your diagnosis does the engine mounts are off. Generally the vibrations are not to be reaching the cabin floor and seats so I feel the mounts don't have much left in them, please them when you can else the internals also will start vibrating (Anyway Maruti's are famous for rattles).

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 18:48   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 2,186 Times
Default Re: Detecting worn engine mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I am planning to change the mounts for my swift VDI (2008) as well. The vibes are perceptible primarily on the steering wheel (only at idle). They aren't unmanageable, but they have come in the last 10k (car is now at 110k) km, and I'm thinking of changing it. Are there any other causes I should rule out before I ask MASS to make the change?
,

Hey, when was your last oil change ?

Secondly, get the steering wheel opened and get the clips and nuts adjusted.

Thirdly, the steering column has a fixing plate which attaches the steering rod to the body by a -U- type plate, get that tightened.

I am 100% sure you don't need mountings changed. Trust me.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 18:56   #40
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,357
Thanked: 13,308 Times
Default Re: Detecting worn engine mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
,

Hey, when was your last oil change ?

Secondly, get the steering wheel opened and get the clips and nuts adjusted.

Thirdly, the steering column has a fixing plate which attaches the steering rod to the body by a -U- type plate, get that tightened.

I am 100% sure you don't need mountings changed. Trust me.
Since he has vibration in the seat and cabin the steering can't induce so much and IMO it is the engine mounts.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 19:01   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 2,186 Times
Default Re: Detecting worn engine mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Since he has vibration in the seat and cabin the steering can't induce so much and IMO it is the engine mounts.

Anurag.
That is only at shutdown, that's okay. I have a 90 thousand Km run Swift Diesel too and trust me, this is normal.

At idle the low intensity hum kind of vibration he is mentioning is creeping in through the clutch pedal. This is normal too.

The vibration at startup is due to engine being cold.

I 100% believe, all this is normal.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 22:54   #42
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,451 Times
Default Re: Detecting worn engine mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Yes your diagnosis does the engine mounts are off. Generally the vibrations are not to be reaching the cabin floor and seats so I feel the mounts don't have much left in them, please them when you can else the internals also will start vibrating (Anyway Maruti's are famous for rattles).

Anurag.
I think as much. By the way the trusted ex-GM of Apra, a large GGN dealer (200+ vehicles/day on weekends), told me as much. Let's see when i get the time to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
,

Hey, when was your last oil change ?

Secondly, get the steering wheel opened and get the clips and nuts adjusted.

Thirdly, the steering column has a fixing plate which attaches the steering rod to the body by a -U- type plate, get that tightened.

I am 100% sure you don't need mountings changed. Trust me.
Humyum, your diagnosis doesnt agree with my experience. this low intensity hum is there in the steering even at idle after 500km in a single day (recent ooty drive).
The oil was changed about 500km or three weeks or so back.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 22:59   #43
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,357
Thanked: 13,308 Times
Default Re: Detecting worn engine mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I think as much. By the way the trusted ex-GM of Apra, a large GGN dealer (200+ vehicles/day on weekends), told me as much. Let's see when i get the time to do it.

Humyum, your diagnosis doesn't agree with my experience. this low intensity hum is there in the steering even at idle after 500km in a single day (recent ooty drive).
The oil was changed about 500km or three weeks or so back.
I am saying this because of my experience with my friends Ritz VDi ABS that has clocked 66K in 4 years also had the vibration issue at idle and it was felt on the seats more. The ASC guys said it is normal so I gave them my Ritz to cross-check which was at 1.05 lac kms without any vibrations so they agreed for the engine mounts changed. Now the car feels vibe-free.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 04:12   #44
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,451 Times
Default Re: Detecting worn engine mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I am saying this because of my experience with my friends Ritz VDi ABS that has clocked 66K in 4 years also had the vibration issue at idle and it was felt on the seats more. The ASC guys said it is normal so I gave them my Ritz to cross-check which was at 1.05 lac kms without any vibrations so they agreed for the engine mounts changed. Now the car feels vibe-free.

Anurag.
Thanks - how long did the engine mount replacement for his ritz VDi take?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 17:25   #45
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,357
Thanked: 13,308 Times
Default Re: Detecting worn engine mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Thanks - how long did the engine mount replacement for his ritz VDi take?
He had given the car for regular service so the engine mounts were also replaced at the same time. The job was not specific for engine mounts replacement.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hydraulic Engine Mounts vs Rubber Engine Mounts amalji Technical Stuff 16 29th October 2015 14:57
OS (MS XP Pro) not detecting 4gb ram!!! Shan2nu Gadgets, Computers & Software 16 12th February 2010 17:18
Nissan working on pedestrian-detecting cars ac 427 The International Automotive Scene 2 19th April 2007 14:39
Chassis mods for engine mounts. passionpurple Technical Stuff 2 20th April 2006 21:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks