Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread
Old 27th March 2008, 16:11   #1
Default Parking on a slope

My handbrake in my Hyundai Accent 2000 model is weak. I have been told that on a downward slope (decline), i should always park it in reverse gear; and on an upward slope (incline), I should park in first gear. Is that correct?
I had recently parked my car on a decline in reverse gear (handbrake not working) and I noticed my car slowly inching forward. It freaked me out but luckily bricks were handy. Is it normal that gear does not do the job of parking brakes so well, or is it due to a problem in my car?
Without the handbrakes working, what is a sure shot way to ensure firm parking on sloping ground? Is it essential that I keep my handbrake in good shape?
They also say that on a slope, one should point the wheels turning away from the curb. Is there a logic to it?

Note From Support Staff: Please remove all formating like font, size & color tags before posting
Old 27th March 2008, 16:18   #2
Team-BHP Support

Please use the existing thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...k-incline.html (What is the correct way to park on an incline?)
Closed Thread