Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 28th March 2008, 11:16   #1
Rai
BHPian

Default Fiat Petra - Some Queries

Hi all,

I have Four queries regarding Fiat Petra 1.6 EX.

1. Most of the times when I change gears (to upper or to lower)
I hear a sound 'thud', with a small jerk. What is this?
Is it my driving style? or Do I need to look into something?
2. When I put the key to 'ON' just before starting, I see a red
figure (LED Picture), like 'Hand Blower' or a 'sprayer' next
to Fuel Gauge. What is this? Heater? (Like we have in Diesel Engines?)
3. When I am driving on a Bad Road, I hear a sound from back as though
my Trunk or Back Door is Open. What is this? Signs for me to change
Shocks?
4. I am from Bangalore and currently I am taking my Petra to 'Manipal
Motors'. Is there any other good Mechanic or Garage in Bangalore
which Deals with Petras?

Hope somebody will answer my Queris. Thanks in Advance.
Regards
Vinu
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 11:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Hi all,

I have Four queries regarding Fiat Petra 1.6 EX.

1. Most of the times when I change gears (to upper or to lower)
I hear a sound 'thud', with a small jerk. What is this?
Vinu
Dont really know but i hear the same in my adventure and my friends Stile 1.6. So i have been living happily thinking its normal.

Quote:
Vinu
Thats the Fuel pump working. Its injecting fuel. You need to wait till the light goes off before starting the car. The light stays on in case the ECU detacts any error/malfunction.

Quote:
Shocks?
Vinu
Shuold be a loose exhaust pipe. Try shaking the pipe when your car is stationary. If you hear the sound get it aligned by the service guys.

Quote:
which Deals with Petras?

Hope somebody will answer my Queris. Thanks in Advance.
Regards
Vinu
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 11:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

The jerking which you experience while down shifting MAY be because of your driving style. You've to rev-match while you down shift (keeping the same speed) before you release the clutch, otherwise it won't be smooth.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 13:14   #4
BANNED

Most of the above said cases are present in our Petra too. I believe some of these are sortable. Others, just have to live with it I think.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 15:51   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. Most of the times when I change gears (to upper or to lower) I hear a sound 'thud', with a small jerk. What is this? Is it my driving style? or Do I need to look into something?
It can be attributed to your driving style or some minor problem with your car. Ensure that you depress the clutch complete when you change gears. While releasing the clutch don't just let go. Hold for a split second with 90% depressed and let go. Shift gears above 1500 rpm. Surprisingly I have never heard of the thud which Zak, you and gemithomas talk about. What exactly is the scenario in which this happens?

If the driving style doesn't sort the problem, get your clutch bled maybe.

Quote:
That is an indicator of the cars fuel pump building up the required injector pressure for starting the car without damaging them. It also goes off as soon as the fuel pump relay cuts off.

Quote:
Shocks?
First ensure that there is nothing lose in your boot. The spare wheel is held by a bolt which should be tightened with the same spanner you use to remove your wheel. To check whether your shocks have gone weak or not, rock the car from the rear vigorously, as soon as you let go the car should stop rocking. How many kms have you done so far?

Quote:
which Deals with Petras?
No clue, PM a few Bangalore Fiat owners. Finneyp would be of good help here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Most of the above said cases are present in our Petra too. I believe some of these are sortable. Others, just have to live with it I think.
Yours is a Diesel right? And which of the above in your car is not sortable?
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 16:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Rai, Hariprasad Automobiles, Chamrajpet has some experienced Fiat mechanics, you can try them, here is their Address & directions:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post496360 (Best service for Fiat at Bangalore)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post501068 (Best service for Fiat at Bangalore)

Last edited by finneyp : 28th March 2008 at 16:11.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 23:48   #7
Rai
BHPian

Default Servicing

Hi All,

Thanks for the advices.
Yes I will take my car to Hariprasad for service.

I agree with some of you saying may be my driving style is the Problem. All these years I was owning SUVs. Scorpio, Safari & Tata Sierra. I wanted a small car for Bangalore Traffic and hence This is my first shift from Diesel Vehicle to Petrol Vehicle.
By the way, I bought this car, Fiat Petra, around three months back. Previous owner of this car was owner of Fiat Dealer in Mangalore. (Well, not a demo Car but was personal Car).
This is one of the first Fiat Petra which was released in India itseems (as per the previous Owner) and hence my RC book still says as Fiat Sienna because as per them when this car was realeased, it was next version of Sienna, and Petra was not official yet. Its a 2003 early Model 1.6 Petrol which has cover 45000 KMs so far.

Well, whatever may be the story, But I like this car very much and its a very smooth car.
Only thing which worries me sometimes is, my 1994 Tata Sierra give me a city mileage of 12 KMS per Liter with 100% AC but this car give me mileage of only 8 KMs per Litre with 100% AC. But hey luxury and smoothness of this car (for its size & Price) is uncomparable. Its a value of money car. I love it.
Regards
Vinu
Old 29th March 2008, 13:00   #8
BHPian

Default 8 KMPL is too less

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks for the advices.
Yes I will take my car to Hariprasad for service.

I agree with some of you saying may be my driving style is the Problem. All these years I was owning SUVs. Scorpio, Safari & Tata Sierra. I wanted a small car for Bangalore Traffic and hence This is my first shift from Diesel Vehicle to Petrol Vehicle.
By the way, I bought this car, Fiat Petra, around three months back. Previous owner of this car was owner of Fiat Dealer in Mangalore. (Well, not a demo Car but was personal Car).
This is one of the first Fiat Petra which was released in India itseems (as per the previous Owner) and hence my RC book still says as Fiat Sienna because as per them when this car was realeased, it was next version of Sienna, and Petra was not official yet. Its a 2003 early Model 1.6 Petrol which has cover 45000 KMs so far.

Well, whatever may be the story, But I like this car very much and its a very smooth car.
Only thing which worries me sometimes is, my 1994 Tata Sierra give me a city mileage of 12 KMS per Liter with 100% AC but this car give me mileage of only 8 KMs per Litre with 100% AC. But hey luxury and smoothness of this car (for its size & Price) is uncomparable. Its a value of money car. I love it.
Regards
Vinu
Rai, driving and riding in this car is definitely excellent. 8 KMPL is very less unless you are talking about a Diesel. I own a Petrol one for close to 4 yrs, Its possible to drive it in such a way you get at least 10+. It depends on your shift pattern. Did you try shifting late (not too much), say 15, 25, 35, 50. I consistently get around 10 and 10+ by shifting late, always with AC. I felt since the car is a little heavy it needs shifting a little late.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2008, 13:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

@ Rai , I own a Petra D but have not experienced any compaints from your list. Regarding the noise while shifting gears i guess its driving style( No offence) or its maybe something wrong in your car.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2008, 13:42   #10
BHPian

Its a hydraulic clutch and probably pressing clutch pedal all the way down will make it a noiseless shift. Half clutch shift definitely can cause noise. This is what I observed in my vehicle.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2008, 20:29   #11
Rai
BHPian

Default Gear Shifting

Hi All,

I agree with you guys abt Clutch Pressing. I have habit not pressing the Clutch all the way down. I got this habit from my Diesel Vehicle, especially I got this habit from my Tata Sierra and to an extent from my Tata Safari. I will change this habit.

Well, I absolutely have no complaints abt my Petra. I just love its ride. I am just trying to improve it further!!!!

I think I know the reason for low mileage. I remeber, my previous owner telling me that only major service happened was on Valves. I don't know what type of Service was done. I didn't give much importance to that. Since my previous owner was the owner of Fiat Dealership in Mangalore, I thought everything must be very perfect. May be I need to get it rechecked and also may be I need to get the Timing Rechecked. Hopefully this will improve the mileage.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Regards
Vinu
Old 9th April 2008, 11:57   #12

Post Fiat Petra - Car Manual

Hi,
Does anyone have the Factory Car Manual of Fiat Petra, the ones that are provided by the company to authorised workshops(not the one that comes along with the car) ?

-Thanks in advance
mchulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 14:35   #13
Rai
BHPian

Default Fiat Petra Probelm

Hi All,

As suggested earlier in this thread, I took the car today to 'Hariprasad Garage' . I told all the problems and the guys there are quite knowledgable. They could immediately understand the problem. (and ofcourse felt happy to see somany Petras, Palios, Unos there )

Well, in my Petra, after an hour of work on it, they told me that, my 'Timing setup' was way off itseems. and they are checking for other problems.
Will update you folks on the progress.
Rai
Old 13th April 2008, 19:26   #14

On the Petra, it could be due to wear on the wishbone bushes or ball joint, the symptoms you mentioned. Also check out the tripot joints of the driveshafts if there is some play. Usually occurs only after about 40k kms.
maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 13:39   #15
Rai
BHPian

Default Petra Issues Solved

Hi All,

As a follow up on my Petra 1.6 Petrol issues, I had been to Hari Prasad Garage in Bangalore today. Last time, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, my Timing was adjusted and looks like it solved all the problems.
These folks in HariPrasad Garage, seems like, well knowledgable in FIAT. In Particular, Mechanic named: Venkatesh. He claims that he has got awards From Fiat as a Best mechanic. He says he can fix any Problems of Fiat Petra/Palio.
So Guys, if you are in Bangalore, and have problem in Fiat Palio/Petra, take your Vehicle to this Guy, Venkatesh in Hariprasad Garage. As he claims, he is the award winner, as the best Fiat Mechanic (By Fiat India Company),