Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th February 2013, 22:31   #46
BHPian

Default Re: How fast ECU learns the driving style?

Ah well yes I can see my mistake then, i known it isn't hard to use algorithms to change parameters based on driver style but just never saw it implemented in the stuff I've used. And considering Motec ecus are the highest end stuff I've cone across, and I've seen the Bosch Motorsport ecus do a lot more like predict power and torque on the fly I might have hurried into just saying "hey no this isn't possible".

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th February 2013 at 08:34.
jayeshrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 23:47   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeshrc View Post
Ah well yes I can see my mistake then, i known it isn't hard to use algorithms to change parameters based on driver style but just never saw it implemented in the stuff I've used. And considering Motec ecus are the highest end stuff I've cone across, and I've seen the Bosch Motorsport ecus do a lot more like predict power and torque on the fly I might have hurried into just saying "hey no this isn't possible".
No problem. What do you use the the Motec ecu's for? Is that to modify cars for track days and such?

How do you go about programming the various maps? Are there default settings, or do you have ways of optimizing it yourself. I know some garages in the Netherlands and the UK who had these "rolling roads". So they actually adjusted the curves and setting under actual driving conditions and loading of the car.

On the Alfa Spider IV there was an aftermarket chip available. Basically just an EPROM, pre-programmed. Many owners bought one and just plugged it in the Bosch Motronic system. Made a big chance in drivability. Never understood why Alfa never modified it themselves.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 00:19   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeshrc View Post
i agree. no ecu learns your driving style or anything. simple placebo effect. if any change at all the reset itself must be making a small difference

What I experienced was indeed what i really felt. And only after noticing those effects did I check for whether a reset has happened, so its not simple placebo effect. In the case of this particular car, the differences were there. Maybe they were small, but was easily noticeable.

Maybe the words we use here, like learning etc, might not be the correct terms. And the jerks while shifting gears, are now gone and is almost back to normal after around 100 kms of driving. Brakes were back to normal almost immediately after around 2 days of drive.
sarathlal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 05:54   #49
Senior - BHPian

The Honda Civic AT does 'learn' the driving style. Quite perceptible over a period of time. Quite good at that too ! There is no " simple placebo effect" to this. LOL.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 12:39   #50
ACS
BHPian

My ride is SX4 diesel and it's ECU quickly picks up the driving change, its amazing. I think not only mine other cars as well do the same.

I used to have this feeling most commonly when I am driving a good stretch and suddenly came across a city in between, it suddenly senses the gear shifts, acceleration changes which affects the power/torque delivery. Well, after all its all up to the ECU and the way it is designed.
ACS is offline   Reply With Quote