Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd April 2008, 13:29   #1
Default Fuel indicator in spark whether a correct measure of amount of fuel

How far fuel indicator on in the central console give correct idea of amount of fuel left in the tank. Normally I fill Petrol when the needle is quite close to the 'E' mark on the meter. Yesterday i had put app 20 liters of Petrol . Initially the needle went quite far on the right side close to 'F' mark, but just after a drive of say 20 kms , it drifted back significantly . Going by the indicator calibration , it appears almost 4/5 liters of Petrol is consumed , which can not be the case .
can others share his experiences.
bkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 13:36   #2

Do not rely on fuel indicator too much, it's just an indicator not a true measure.
If you witness such sudden needle drops again, have it checked in ***.
sukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 14:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

the fuel indicator is just that - a indicator.

the position of the indicator also depends on the slope your vehicle is on - ie either slanted left / right.

based on what you say, it is not possible for such a huge shift. maybe when you filled in the fuel your vehicle was tilted on a specific side which made the needle move to 'F'.

Best case is to check the fuel gauge on a level road, even better, on your parking slot. This was, you always have the same 'error' when making the reading.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote