Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th April 2008, 13:26   #16
BHPian

Another option would be to fabricate a jerrycan carrying rack at the rear door of the Scorpio. I looked at one in India Garage in Blr and it looked nice. It is certainly safer and more comfortable to carry fuel outside the vehicle rather than inside. I have also heard that it is preferable to use the metal jerry cans rather than the plastic ones especially when travelling in the hills.

Rgds
indianrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 16:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

Ramkay, just go to some spare shop and ask for Metal can for carrying fuel. You will find both roof top and in-cab cans.

They are of good quality and air tight.. Get it and scorp tank filled at last station.

Last edited by rkbharat : 10th April 2008 at 16:58. Reason: Sorry, I assumed you are from delhi, so I suggested Kashmere Gate, changed the location
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 11:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Just read in the safari 2.2l manual.

The supplementary fuel required to be mixed with diesel should be Kerosene or Aviation Turbine fuel.

Ratio's:

For Summer Diesel (Diesel : Suppl fuel)
Upto 0 Deg C - NO Need
0 to -10 Deg C - 70:30
-10 to -15 Deg C - 50:50
For Winter Diesel (Diesel : Suppl fuel)
Upto 0 Deg C - NO Need
-15 to -20 Deg C - 70:30
-20 and below Deg C - 50:50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Just confirmed from my sources. I'm told that there are two grades of diesel sold in the country. Summer grade and winter grade.
Summer grade is good enough till about 6 degrees and the winter grade diesel will retain its characteristics till -7 degrees. All the high altitude places have winter grade diesel.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 21:44   #19
BHPian

Default Re: Carrying Fuel... How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Just read in the safari 2.2l manual.

The supplementary fuel required to be mixed with diesel should be Kerosene or Aviation Turbine fuel.

Ratio's:

For Summer Diesel (Diesel : Suppl fuel)
Upto 0 Deg C - NO Need
0 to -10 Deg C - 70:30
-10 to -15 Deg C - 50:50
For Winter Diesel (Diesel : Suppl fuel)
Upto 0 Deg C - NO Need
-15 to -20 Deg C - 70:30
-20 and below Deg C - 50:50
Sir, ignited an old thread !
Is that the proportions of Supp fuel itself makes it a Summer or Winter diesel ?? simply checking, the Winter's (-20) is 50:50, which is same as Summer's (-10 to -15). thanks in advance for a response to my query/doubt.

regards,

Pranav
pcpranav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 15:59   #20
BHPian

Oh boy let me offer some easily procurable solution to this fuel carrying business in vehicles with a common passenger/luggage airspace.
Start collecting 2 liter coke / pepsi bottles and use them when required, keep a carton to place the bottles in your SUV / car. The best thing about this setup is that all you need to buy is a small funnel to fill the bottles up with fuel.
The other highlight is that you wont be struggling with a heavy 25 litre can = approx 25 kg of weight when the time comes to transfer the fuel, just uncap the bottles and fill the tank up nice and easy.
Off Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 16:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
Oh boy let me offer some easily procurable solution to this fuel carrying business in vehicles with a common passenger/luggage airspace.
Start collecting 2 liter coke / pepsi bottles and use them when required, keep a carton to place the bottles in your SUV / car. The best thing about this setup is that all you need to buy is a small funnel to fill the bottles up with fuel.
The other highlight is that you wont be struggling with a heavy 25 litre can = approx 25 kg of weight when the time comes to transfer the fuel, just uncap the bottles and fill the tank up nice and easy.
Hi Rohan,
That is indeed a neat tip.
And even if you use a part of the load, unlike a 20/25 Ltr can where it could create space above the liquid line and therefore vapours/fumes could be generated,in this method to a great extent even the vapours would be limited.

Only pain is the tedious process of filling them up - but then you win some, you loose some.
And yes, keep them far away from the trip's drinking bottles filled with...err...Coke/Pepsi ?!!
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 16:54   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
That's a great tip. When I got my Xylo serviced, I got the empty maxomile containers from the workshop. Post cleaning and currently empty, one is used as emergency fuel can in the Xylo.
Having a handle is helpful, capacity is 2L, airtight and with a regular shape easy to store.

p.s. - And no mistaking them for aerated drinks and making your ride go 'Brrrrr'

Last edited by mmxylorider : 4th May 2011 at 16:56.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 18:11   #23
BHPian

A used water bottle with it's base cut off serves as good 'funnel'. This avoids the spillage over the rim like in a regular funnel and filling rate is faster. The neck is just the right size to fit the fuel refill pipe of a Scorpio.
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 20:43   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

FYI, in the US, regulations state that fuel should always be carried in a red colour container so that everyone understands exactly what it is.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 17:06   #25
BHPian

The problem is that we need to get containers before we start talking color codes in India.
Off Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 10:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

Ramkya,

I procured to plastic cans of 20L capacity each from a nearby Coke manufacturer. The concentrate is transported by Coke to these local manufacturers in these plastic cans. They are very sturdy and have square base so they sit tight inside the car. Infact, every long trip I do carry one filled up 20L can with me as this gives me peace of mind in these mile long traffic jams offlate on highways

The plastic cans have been in use from last 6 years now with out an issue
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 07:41   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
The plastic cans have been in use from last 6 years now with out an issue
Hi Surya
Nice info.
Could you pls help me in where I can get that plastic can you mentioned in this post. I stay in bangalore but I have some friends in hyderabad and what is the cost?

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th June 2015 at 08:29.
StallionAmit is online now   Reply With Quote