Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2008, 17:51   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
ramkya1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Palakkad, Keral
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 362 Times
Arrow Carrying Fuel... How?

Hai Techgurus,

I am planning to drive Kargil-Padum-Kargil on a scorpio and need to carry Diesel. The distance to cover is about 600 KM, if we do the full monty till Zangla, the capacity of 45 ltrs on that altitude and terrain woulld give me max 425 kms, I have to carry at least 50 ltrs of Diesel, (no fuel stations on this stretch) to make it back without sress.

Heard that Diesel Fumes inside the cab can be pretty bad, some people have reported being giddy. Choices:

1. Fix up a roof rack and tie the jerry can of fuel on the top, just 2 jerry cans of 25 ltrs each will do the trick. I am worried about the roof weight since the Scorp has high centre of gravity and on terrain like this adding weight on top best avoided.

2. Options to carry fuel, jerry cans (looks a little stupid, Ive never carried fuel) inside the cab. If it's air tight, on heights of 16000+ feets up will that be a problem?

3. Does mountain heights have any impact on the volalility of Diesel? Can it create more fumes? The average temps are likely around 10-20, if not lesser.

Thanks in advance for your inputs,

--Ramky

===========

Last edited by ramkya1 : 9th April 2008 at 17:57.
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 18:09   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,545
Thanked: 1,599 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
3. Does mountain heights have any impact on the volalility of Diesel? Can it create more fumes? The average temps are likely around 10-20, if not lesser.
Sir
-At higher altitudes the volatility will increase.
- Fumes??? or did u mean vapours? In a air tight container inside the cabin u can carry fuel without any vapour leak.

Regards
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 18:12   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,798
Thanked: 745 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Hai Techgurus,

I am planning to drive Kargil-Padum-Kargil on a scorpio and need to carry Diesel. The distance to cover is about 600 KM, if we do the full monty till Zangla, the capacity of 45 ltrs on that altitude and terrain woulld give me max 425 kms, I have to carry at least 50 ltrs of Diesel, (no fuel stations on this stretch) to make it back without sress.

===========
Scorpio's fuel capacity is 60 liters, not 45. One 20 liter plastic can on top should do the trick.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 18:25   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
ram_hyundai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calicut ,trisur
Posts: 2,019
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Try procuring a rack for the jerry can which can be fixed at the rear of the vehicle.This would be the best way for carrying the can.

ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 18:35   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,766
Thanked: 89,480 Times
Default

Get a branded 20 liter Jerry Can, and remember to always keep it filled to the brim with fuel.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 19:32   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
ram_hyundai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calicut ,trisur
Posts: 2,019
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

One more point ,i have heard of Anti-freeze fuels.Does that apply only to petrols or both petrol and diesel.If its true with diesel get a stock of that too.Correct me if i am wrong.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 22:12   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,545
Thanked: 1,599 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
One more point ,i have heard of Anti-freeze fuels.Does that apply only to petrols or both petrol and diesel.If its true with diesel get a stock of that too.Correct me if i am wrong.
ram
Ram
What is an antifreeze FUEL ?
I have heard of some additives but never seen them at any petrol pumps.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 22:51   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,860
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Ram
What is an antifreeze FUEL ?
I have heard of some additives but never seen them at any petrol pumps.
The easiest way to get anti-freeze fuel is to mix a bit of petrol with the diesel!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 23:43   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

I am told that normal fuel in high-altitude region comes pre-mixed with antifreezants.

I have never had any problem with fuel with or without antifreezants. Despite starting up the car after an overnight halt at Sarchu (4200m MSL) in sub-zero temperature. And on the Manali-Leh run, my Matiz gave me better mileage than normal.

Carried extra petrol in a sealed plastic can - despite the limited space in the hatchback Matiz, no problems with fuel odour.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 04:25   #10
BHPian
 
Ignazio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Turin-Italy
Posts: 128
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Hi all
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
The easiest way to get anti-freeze fuel is to mix a bit of petrol with the diesel!
I have done that! Many years ago in my Opel Astra TD, very little winter diesel available in my area at that time, I was used to put 2-3 ltr of petrol in a full tank of about 40ltr.
Now in the winter in Europe, everybody is selling diesel with additive to avoid paraffine cristallisation below -4 -5 C. If you are going at low temp with regular diesel, add petrol in it, will help.

Ciao!

Ignazio
Ignazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 04:30   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
ram_hyundai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calicut ,trisur
Posts: 2,019
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

KP,At high altitude the fuel freezes and you get starting issues.to avoid that the fuel sold there is added with some agents which deprive the fuel of the freezing property.All fuels sold in hill stations are anti freeze fuels.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 08:49   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 656 Times
Default

This seems to be a fantastic tip. In all my 32+ years of driving and tinkering, never heard of this...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignazio View Post
Hi all


I have done that! Many years ago in my Opel Astra TD, very little winter diesel available in my area at that time, I was used to put 2-3 ltr of petrol in a full tank of about 40ltr.
Now in the winter in Europe, everybody is selling diesel with additive to avoid paraffine cristallisation below -4 -5 C. If you are going at low temp with regular diesel, add petrol in it, will help.

Ciao!

Ignazio
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 09:21   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 244 Times
Default

Very true, the winter diesel has some additives to prevent freeze. But I dont think it will be a sub-zero temp area at this time of the year.!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I am told that normal fuel in high-altitude region comes pre-mixed with antifreezants.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 09:40   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
ramkya1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Palakkad, Keral
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 362 Times
Arrow Correct Capacity.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Scorpio's fuel capacity is 60 liters, not 45. One 20 liter plastic can on top should do the trick.

Dan, tnx for that pointer, checked up the manual too, it ways 60 ltrs. That would give us 55 usable ltrs, that means its an issue of carrying about 25 ltrs.

About the anti-freee, then adding a little petrol with the diesel seems to be the easiest to do.

Will it harm a CRDE engine in any way?

Dadu......... the day temp in Aug/Sep would be around 20-25, night historical data is about 5-10, but can go down to 0 on special rare days; below zero, not probable.

--Ramky

Last edited by ramkya1 : 10th April 2008 at 09:42.
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 10:21   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,545
Thanked: 1,599 Times
Default

Just confirmed from my sources. I'm told that there are two grades of diesel sold in the country. Summer grade and winter grade.
Summer grade is good enough till about 6 degrees and the winter grade diesel will retain its characteristics till -7 degrees. All the high altitude places have winter grade diesel.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India trammway Commercial Vehicles 77 17th May 2017 21:10
Gypsy 410: Maximum Load Carrying Capacity atheistrical 4x4 Technical 12 9th December 2013 23:14
Carrying medicines to Dubai Bass&Trouble Shifting gears 33 29th April 2009 10:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks