Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th April 2008, 22:01   #1
BHPian

Default Need help on using the auto (NHC CVT)

Am planning to take the NHC on a long drive. Have only been using D, P, R and N levers. Can anyone explain what does 'S' and 'L' stand for and when to use them? thx!
Minardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2008, 22:39   #2
Team-BHP Support

Arrow Cvt

For regular driving, use D.

For a slightly faster throttle respone use S, as in Sport. Higher performance. Will help in hilly areas by limiting shifts.
Depending on transmission, the overdrive ratio may/may not be used - I'm not aware what happens in case of a CVT.

L stands for low ratios. This limits your transmission to the first 2 ratios - in some cases may use the first 3 ratios. The L mode is used in case you have trouble going up a very steep slope, or if you have trouble getting starting-traction on a slippery surface.
Will also help you in hilly terrain - more torque.

Note that your fuel consumption will be higher in both cases - using S & L.
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2008, 23:10   #3
BHPian

Thanks aah! In short, for less steep ghat section, use 'S' and for very steep (Ooty) ghats use 'L'? And I presume it can be changed on the fly without the need to stop the car. I am sorry if these questions sound dumb, but better to make it sure!
Minardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 00:35   #4
BHPian

No, you can definately handle all the ghats in D...

L is rarely if ever needed [If you're stuck in traffic on an incline]
S will be fun on the ghats, as you'll see higher revs, but then again, not needed...

I've been driving an auto for 3 years now, rarely used the L or 2 as it is in my auto...[No S option]
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 00:39   #5
Team-BHP Support

Smile S&l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi View Post
Thanks aah! In short, for less steep ghat section, use 'S' and for very steep (Ooty) ghats use 'L'? And I presume it can be changed on the fly without the need to stop the car.
No problems.
Yes, additionally you can use S mode on curvy roads too.

The thing is you don't have to use S or L.

S will give you some faster acceleration - increase your shift limits (your upshifts will happen at a higher rpm, etc.).

The L, you don't need to use unless you feel the car is really having trouble moving / getting up a slope - it will also help you coming down a steep slope (engine braking), so you don't wear your brake pads out.

You can change between D & S on the fly - no problems.

For L, you'd better be doing a very slow speed - say around 10 - 15km/h. Any higher and there'll be a jerk and a sudden loss of speed as the engine begins revving at higher rpm.
(eg. imagine what'll happen if you're driving a manual transmission car in 5th gear at 60km/h and while slowing down, instead of shifting down into 4th, or 3rd, you shift by mistake into 2nd or 1st).
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote