Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2008, 16:14   #1
BHPian
 
ramki067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 562
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Aftermarket Dead Pedal?

Hi all,
I would like to know whether i can add a foot clutch rest like in a Santro. A DIY job or so would be helpful.

Thanks,
RAmki.

Last edited by ramki067 : 15th April 2008 at 16:21.
ramki067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 17:29   #2
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: hyderabad,london
Posts: 441
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

just go to a carpenter and tell him what you want and he will does it for you with a wooden block.....
zenopio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 17:37   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,747 Times
Default

Get one of those racing pedals and have it fixed on the floor of the car. Any mechanic will be able to fix it.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 20:12   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 143 Times
Default

Why would one need a clutch foot rest?

What is a racing pedal and how is it different from what the WagR has now?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 20:44   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,747 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Why would one need a clutch foot rest?

What is a racing pedal and how is it different from what the WagR has now?
The correct term for a clutch foot rest is a "dead pedal". The topic has been discussed before. Maybe this link could help : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...extenders.html (Pedal Extenders)

Dead pedal ensures that one does not rest his foot on the clutch. Riding the clutch causes serious clutch wear and hence some cars are factory fitted with a dead pedal. I have seen such a pedal fabricated and fitted in a rally esteem.

Racing pedals are aluminium pedals which can be sourced from any auto accessory shop. They are sold under various popular brand names. They have a racy look and some are backlit too (streetglow pedals).
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2008, 13:15   #6
BHPian
 
ramki067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 562
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

Racing pedals are aluminium pedals which can be sourced from any auto accessory shop. They are sold under various popular brand names. They have a racy look and some are backlit too (streetglow pedals).

How are these racing pedals look like and is a foot rest attached to it or so?
ramki067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2008, 14:53   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 244 Times
Default

These are metal sheet pedals with holes and bumps for grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
How are these racing pedals look like and is a foot rest attached to it or so?
You answered your question yourself. Goto Hyundai A.S.S. and buy a spare dead pedal for Santro, screw it onto your WagonR (any acc. shop will do it in 5 min).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi all,
I would like to know whether i can add a foot clutch rest like in a Santro. A DIY job or so would be helpful.

Thanks,
RAmki.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2008, 15:31   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,747 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
How are these racing pedals look like and is a foot rest attached to it or so?
Dead pedals are not attached to any of the pedals like gas, clutch or brake pedals.

This pic should help you understand what a dead pedal is. The dead pedal is the big pedal at the extreme left.

The regular pedals in the pic are racing pedals (in some cars they are an aftermarket fitment).
Attached Images
 

Last edited by n_aditya : 16th April 2008 at 15:32.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2008, 15:58   #9
BHPian
 
ramki067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 562
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

Thank you very much guys... will go to some Hyundai showroom and enquire. I really wanted it and decided when my left leg started paining after driving from my home in Rajajinagar to Marathalli outer ring road to my office!

Thanks,
Ramki.
ramki067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 11:36   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
normally_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,367
Thanked: 387 Times
Default

Ramki,

Updates on this ?
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 12:04   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,975
Thanked: 16,772 Times
Default

Isn't it more comfortable to rest the foot on the floor, while highway drives?

May be since i've got used to this, i find dead pedal usage uncomfortable on long drives.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 12:16   #12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,453 Times
Default

Making a clutch foot rest in a Wagon R.

Materials required
1) Cotton waste
2) One pair of Brand new shoes.

Method one - for those who drive with their shoes on.

Remove shoes from box, take shoes home in a plastic bag. Wear shoes for next occasion out.
Fill up box with cotton waste and shove it next to the clutch on the left side. Remember to keep dhakkan on after filling it up with the waste.

Rest foot on it repeatedly.



Method 2: For those who drive without shoes.
Remove shoes from box. Take one shoe home in a plastic bag, along with the dhakkan of the shoe box.

Place left shoe inside empty show box, without a dhakkan. Pack up cotton waste around all edges to secure left shoe.
Shove the shoe+box combination next to the clutch on the left side.

Place foot inside left shoe which is inside shoe box.

Rest.

Now for the other shoe.

Step 1 - Buy left hand drive car....

I know what you're thinking, the clutch is still on the left. But to the left of the clutch is the door. The shoe will fall out.
Step 2 - Place right shoe to the right of accelerator.
Step 3 - Place right foot in it and rest.
Step 4 - Pretend it is left foot.

Alternatively you can make a left foot rest and right foot rest and pretend that you are giving birth in the car.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 31st May 2008 at 12:20.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 12:26   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
PatienceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,159
Thanked: 261 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Isn't it more comfortable to rest the foot on the floor, while highway drives?

May be since i've got used to this, i find dead pedal usage uncomfortable on long drives.
I cannot use a car for long without dead pedal. May be since I was used to the dead pedal in Santro, Palio and Lancer. I am 6' 2" tall and found Swift uncomfortable without dead pedal. That is one of the main reasons why I went for Getz.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 14:54   #14
BHPian
 
somebodystopme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 502
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I cannot use a car for long without dead pedal. May be since I was used to the dead pedal in Santro, Palio and Lancer. I am 6' 2" tall and found Swift uncomfortable without dead pedal. That is one of the main reasons why I went for Getz.
You Seriously decided to buy another car just for Dead Pedal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Making a clutch foot rest in a Wagon R.

Materials required
1) Cotton waste
2) One pair of Brand new shoes.

Method one - for those who drive with their shoes on.

Remove shoes from box, take shoes home in a plastic bag. Wear shoes for next occasion out.
Fill up box with cotton waste and shove it next to the clutch on the left side. Remember to keep dhakkan on after filling it up with the waste.

Rest foot on it repeatedly.



Method 2: For those who drive without shoes.
Remove shoes from box. Take one shoe home in a plastic bag, along with the dhakkan of the shoe box.

Place left shoe inside empty show box, without a dhakkan. Pack up cotton waste around all edges to secure left shoe.
Shove the shoe+box combination next to the clutch on the left side.

Place foot inside left shoe which is inside shoe box.

Rest.

Now for the other shoe.

Step 1 - Buy left hand drive car....

I know what you're thinking, the clutch is still on the left. But to the left of the clutch is the door. The shoe will fall out.
Step 2 - Place right shoe to the right of accelerator.
Step 3 - Place right foot in it and rest.
Step 4 - Pretend it is left foot.

Alternatively you can make a left foot rest and right foot rest and pretend that you are giving birth in the car.
Wahh. What a Solution Sam. Its very rare people with your genius are born to enlighten the knowledge on mortals like us.

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th July 2009 at 17:35. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed.
somebodystopme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 15:36   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
PatienceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,159
Thanked: 261 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
You Seriously decided to buy another car just for Dead Pedal?
No friend, that was one of the main resons for deciding on Getz when I was looking out for a hatchback.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Integrated Head Units - Is this the death of the aftermarket for aftermarket HU's ajmat In-Car Entertainment 44 27th July 2011 16:48
*Installed* - Dead Pedal in my Mahindra Scorpio getsurya Modifications & Accessories 10 28th December 2010 04:01
Need Help: Brake pedal pulsating!!! stevie Technical Stuff 4 27th October 2006 20:41
Gas-pedal modulation: adjustable ? meerkat Technical Stuff 5 2nd June 2006 13:13


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks