Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th April 2008, 23:56   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default The REAL cost of a Himalayan Odyssey!

Guys,

Donno if it is the right forum, but this came about from:HVK saab's experiences (Which vehicle to buy for a Himalayan Road Tour?).

When I went to leh, despite some sections being quite abysmal, all that the P180 (~22k old) required, was an oil change in leh (i'm paranoid). It had its counter balancer shaft changed courtesy a bad mechanic - but that was before the leh trip. After leh, nothing whatsoever was done. Just a good thorough service.

But then, just want to know - for someone who'd have done some such trips - how expensive does it work out to be? How much have people actually spent in terrains like Ladakh, Spiti/northeast and maybe Chhatisgarh/MP interiors?

Would be a good reference. I have a sneaking thought that maybe my bike was not such a bad idea afterall.

PS: Mods, put it here, because this is also an indicator of how much abuse can some cars take/dont take. else kindly move.

Last edited by phamilyman : 17th April 2008 at 23:58.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2008, 12:27   #2
BHPian

I am sure HV Kumar and Bunny Punia will be able to help. PM them.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2008, 13:31   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

HVK I've already gotten his details in that post. Bunny imo has done alot on his ZMA. IIRC his family's gypsy days would be too far back to compare - just wanna see how today's cars handle the same travels. am PMing Suman/GD - their beasts scorch the roads often
Old 18th April 2008, 16:16   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Guys,

Donno if it is the right forum, but this came about from:HVK saab's experiences (Which vehicle to buy for a Himalayan Road Tour?).

When I went to leh, despite some sections being quite abysmal, all that the P180 (~22k old) required, was an oil change in leh (i'm paranoid). It had its counter balancer shaft changed courtesy a bad mechanic - but that was before the leh trip. After leh, nothing whatsoever was done. Just a good thorough service.

But then, just want to know - for someone who'd have done some such trips - how expensive does it work out to be? How much have people actually spent in terrains like Ladakh, Spiti/northeast and maybe Chhatisgarh/MP interiors?

Would be a good reference. I have a sneaking thought that maybe my bike was not such a bad idea afterall.

PS: Mods, put it here, because this is also an indicator of how much abuse can some cars take/dont take. else kindly move.
OT: which model P180 was that? i have a dec 2k6 model and it's good to know that all your's needed was an oil change. how far did you travel on it?
silver_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 01:58   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

mine is an apr 05 model white alloys. takes quite a decent bit of touring and its share of TLC. So back then, it did about 3600km ex amdavad, and spare the issue with the bad worksmanship leading to counter-balancer screwing up (2800 post that), P180 did it all without skipping a beat.
Old 30th April 2008, 13:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
just wanna see how today's cars handle the same travels. am PMing Suman/GD - their beasts scorch the roads often
Sorry for the extremely late reply to your PM but have been travelling & was off-line.

Unfortunately, I haven't been scorching this territory for a while now due to circumstances. In the past (till 2005), we've done some part of Himachal or the other, every year. In those days, I had my Ikon 1.6 & never had to spend anything specifically to "prepare" the car. The regular services at the stipulated intervals apart, all I would do before a trip like this would be to send the car to the workshop to have a general check-up done, just to ensure that all nuts & bolts were tight & all place & all fluids were topped up.

Of course, I haven't done Leh but have done Manali, Dalhousie-Khajjiar, Sarahan-Kalpa apart from the usual Shimla etc.

Now that I have the beast, a Leh trip is on the cards but I don't know when (circumstances, remember)?

Last edited by suman : 30th April 2008 at 13:11.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 00:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

We took an old retrofitted diesel engined Gypsy to almost all parts of Ladakh in 2006. Actual maintainence expediture at various places was as follows:-
1. Clutch plate replacement, Brake drum replacement @ Manali 4000 Rs
2. Spring leaf repair and replacement @ Marhi 1000 Rs (500 for the taxi charges from Manali to Marhi)
3. Broken Silencer Repair @ Leh 200 Rs
4. Bought a accelerator wire @ Leh 250 Rs
5. Diesel pump repair @ Army wkshp Karu Free of Cost
6. Spring leaf and U bolt repair @ Leh ( after we retruned from PangongTso) Rs 500.

No other repair was paid for as all other minor repairs like clogged lines, broken wires etc were repaired by self.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 01:44   #8
BHPian

Wandernomad and GD Sir's estimates should be bang on here. Both have done Leh trips. In fact Wandernomad even told me once that he had gone to Leh when he was 18 on a bullet, and in the process inspired me to replicate the same althogh whether I am able to do it is doubtful at this moment. However if it happens it would probably be after June 4 after I am done with my entrances , even if it doesn't happen I could come along with you or HVK sir when you do such a trip, provided you permit.
Vikram check your PM

Last edited by revvedup : 1st May 2008 at 01:45.
revvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 07:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

I can speak for two cars here, as we did the trip together in July 2007 - my Scorpio and friend's Tavera. At start, the Scorpio had about 8000 on the clock and the Tavera about 18000 kms. 4 persons + baggage in the Scorpio and three + baggage in the Tavera.
Did Del-Pahalgam-Srinagar-Kargil-Leh-Pangong Tso-Khardungla-Sarchu-Manali-Del.
Neither car required ANY attention/repair whatsoever during the trip or after the trip.
Just lucky? Or can there be other conclusions?
We're planning a more elaborate repeat in Sept this year, to include Zanskar and Suru!

Rather surprised to read about the converted Gypsy above. Years ago, in 1997, I had done Kinnaur and Spiti in my Gypsy 1000. 3 adults, 2 kids and baggage. This was quite apart from numerous other trips in Himachal and Kumaon. Roads were worse in almost all sectors compared to what they are today.
Again - zero problems. Upon return from Spiti, there was a squealing sound audible at times. Got this attended to in Delhi - 2 'crosses' (universal joints) had a damaged bearing each (dust ingress past the seal) and were replaced. Cost was about Rs. 500/-).

Last edited by anupmathur : 1st May 2008 at 07:40.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 09:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

BTW, forgot to mention earlier, that a typical SUV/MUV lasts not more than 4 to 5 years with the Taxi operators who only do this route.
That gives a good idea of the 'true' cost of a Himalayan Odyssey!

What happens after that period? I forgot to ask the taxi-wallahs in Leh!
Old 1st May 2008, 10:37   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

yeah boss, but those cars get 500km of solid beating daily. That is more painful than doing the regular call center duties in dilli
Old 1st May 2008, 11:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yeah boss, but those cars get 500km of solid beating daily.
Another good pointer to the 'true' cost of using vehicles in that terrain is the Taxi tariffs being charged. At least Rs. 10000/-, more like 12000/-, for Manali-Leh. That's easily at least DOUBLE of tariffs prevailing on the plains.
Old 1st May 2008, 12:01   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

saar,

risk premium. How much inflation in africa? same funda
Old 2nd May 2008, 17:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

Dont be surprised Anup. That converted gypsy was a very brave soul to ahve endured what we threw at her.lolz.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 17:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
That converted gypsy was a very brave soul to ahve endured what we threw at her.lolz.
I was almost certain that some extreme stuff must have been attempted!

I still swear by the Gypsy as being the most adept at handling 'our' himalayas!