Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th December 2014, 10:08   #631
BHPian

Default Re: OEM car battery life - How long did your OE battery last?

My Amaron battery is now past 7 years old (June 2007) and it is still working ! However, since the past one week, it has refused to crank on two occasions, guess it is finally time for a change now. It actually ran on two cars as well, for 5 years in my Esteem and for 2+ years in my Omni !
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2014, 12:19   #632
BHPian

My Skoda Rapid OEM battery(brand is Exide not Varta) lasted exactly 3 yrs and 50k kms. I have replaced with Amron 74DIN. Battery gave indications like long cranks and did not want to wait till last minute. I have checked the battery health and replaced by purchasing from batterybahi.com.
Previously my swift vxi battery lasted more than three years. Afterwards i sold my car, hence no idea of its history.
What my experience tells is diesels need early battery replacements than their petrol counterparts. Does the number of cranks(kms on odo) influence the battery life?

Last edited by hillsnrains : 27th December 2014 at 12:20.
hillsnrains is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2014, 11:26   #633

Mine is still working from May 2006 in a Honda city which has ran 23K during these 8 years. But today morning after stopping at a restaurant, Car did not start despite several attempts. Called Honda road side assistance etc, but nothing worked out and after 30-40 minutes of wait, I tried again and was able to start Engine and bring the car to home and even finish some work. I think I can still use it for some time, but planning to get it replaced as soon as possible. It is Amron battery.
samoukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2014, 12:14   #634
BHPian

My OEM Hyundai Santro battery (EXIDE) lasted exactly 5 years and 71k kms. On her 5th birthday, she refused to start when I was leaving for home from office. Called ICICI Lombard online assistance (which I got free with my 5th year insurance renewal) and they reached the office parking in less than half an hour. Jump started her and I immediately replaced the battery with AMARON as her 5th birthday present

Last edited by Repsol : 29th December 2014 at 12:17.
Repsol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2014, 13:11   #635
BHPian

My hyundai i20 exide battery is now into its 5th year ,but sometimes it drags a bit before starting.The exide, which is on my 2 year old cruze is giving me problems and i dont think it will last one more year.
vindrider2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2014, 15:39   #636
JLS
BHPian

My Wagon R, purchased in 2006, needed a battery change in 2011. This was mainly due to car remaining in garage for long periods and barely driven.

My Accent, purchased in 2008, had its battery drained twice (in 2013) as headlight remained on. I was mentally prepared for battery replacement, however drained battery came back to life after 24 hr charging both times, and even after these incidences car started in half cranking each time, and it did not have any other battery issues till I sold the car in Oct 2013. Accent was regularly driven around 60 KMs every day.

Regards,
JLS
JLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2014, 18:15   #637
BANNED

My Jan 2010 Ritz is still running on its original battery, the car has done around 75,5XX kms. Though last week the car was in hibernation and I need to get it jump started yesterday, the weather is not helping the case either.
BANDHAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2015, 07:14   #638

I have a Ford Fiesta 1.6SXI purchased new in Nov 2011. But the car was manufactured in Jan 2011. Self driven for long runs only (I have 2 other small cars for local short runs ), it has covered only 17,000km in three years . In March 2015, I shall make a trip to Goa (my 4th trip and 2nd in this car). The battery which is running fine is 4 years old. I feel I should replace it before the trip, as a matter of caution but should I buy from Ford Service Center OR my nearby Amaron Dealer.( My Wagon R VXI had an OEM Exide which lasted exactly 5 years).
If I buy from Dealer I can demand a latest manufactured battery not more then a month or two old. The Ford Service Center on the other hand may put in an older battery. But I have read that when Battery is changed in some cars, the ECU etc may be affected. In that case better to get it replaced by Ford. Please advise.
This is my first post as I have just joined this esteemed group.
SanjayDalal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2015, 11:38   #639
Distinguished - BHPian

Default OEM car battery life - How long did your OE battery last?

^ Why would you want to replace the battery? Is it giving you trouble or you just have a feeling that it's gonna go kaput soon?

As far as affecting the CPU is concerned, I don't think just changing the battery will cause a problem. If that be the case then so many cars in the country would be in trouble

PS: welcome to the Team-BHP fraternity and wish you many happy miles in here. Do read the forum rules and abide by them

Last edited by IronH4WK : 26th January 2015 at 11:40.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2015, 13:17   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The OE Amaron Black-700RMF 65Ah battery on my Scorpio lasted all of 5 years and 2 months, and was replaced yesterday.
Sir I just found this for Safari Storme
Amaron AAM-GO-00105D31L on some online sites.
Is there any difference in 105D31L and 105D31R ?

I sent you a PM, please send me the contact details of the place where you got the battery.
Styler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2015, 17:20   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjayDalal View Post
I have a Ford Fiesta 1.6SXI purchased new in Nov 2011. But the car was manufactured in Jan 2011. Self driven for long runs only (I have 2 other small cars for local short runs ), it has covered only 17,000km in three years . In March 2015, I shall make a trip to Goa (my 4th trip and 2nd in this car). The battery which is running fine is 4 years old. I feel I should replace it before the trip, as a matter of caution but should I buy from Ford Service Center OR my nearby Amaron Dealer.( My Wagon R VXI had an OEM Exide which lasted exactly 5 years).
If I buy from Dealer I can demand a latest manufactured battery not more then a month or two old. The Ford Service Center on the other hand may put in an older battery. But I have read that when Battery is changed in some cars, the ECU etc may be affected. In that case better to get it replaced by Ford. Please advise.
I would suggest you buy a battery and carry it along with you as a spare. I did the same thing when I drove down to Goa last June as my battery then was almost 7 years old. BTW - am still using the same Amaron battery 7.5 years strong !
Old 28th January 2015, 17:50   #642

Thank you for your suggestion to carry a new battery as a spare. But what did you do with the new battery after coming back from Goa. Did you store it at home or return it to the Dealer for a bit of cash less?
I will talk to my neighbourhood Dealer in a day or two and post his reaction.
I did call SC Ford , (Goregoan-East) workshop today and they gave me the following quote. They had only one brand.
Microlite : the one with 3 year warranty cost Rs.6,325 and the one with 2 year warranty cost Rs. 5270. The cash back for old battery is Rs.500.

My Amaron Dealer in Kandivali (East) quoted Rs.5,190 for the one with four year warranty. However I forgot to ask how much would be the cash back for the old one.

Incidently; apart from the standard steel stepney, I will also carry a spare alloy wheel (not tyre), since I have read that a badly dented alloy, if one goes through a big pothole cannot be repaired. I have invested in two spare alloys which I store at home!
SanjayDalal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2015, 11:53   #643
BHPian

No, I used the battery for my other car since that battery too had gone kaput. I suggested that you carry a spare battery only so that you are at peace and there is no tension of battery failing. There are some battery shops in Bangalore that even give you a battery as standby for hire, maybe you can explore that option too in Mumbai !
Old 29th January 2015, 19:47   #644
BHPian

Default Re: Any input on TATA GREEN Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
I was stranded on the highway yesterday as my OEM battery in my NHC 06 (Standard Furokawa),..went Kaput after 3 years.

I had no option but to replace; the only battery available was TATA green battery 38B20L. The dealer said the OEM was 32 ampere and the TATA was 38 ampere and hence better. I got the battery with original invoice and dealer stamped warranty card (18 months replacement, and 19-36 month pro-rata replacement).

What was surprising was the price just Rs.2,600/-
Do I have a wrong spec. battery ??

The car seems to start and run alright.
Hey, bumping an old post. How was your experience with TATA Green? I am considering it for my Zen.
fighterace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2015, 20:13   #645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjayDalal View Post
A warm welcome to you, to the society of pathological obsession with cars. .

Change of battery is not warranted, unless cranking power has gone down. better check hoses, fan belts, etc.- they can cause more grief than a dead battery.

I'd suggest that you get the battery checked from a good (and ethical) battery shop. Nowadays they have an electronic instrument to check the cranking capacity of your battery, and will be able to tell you what is needed. Check the electrolyte levels, and top-up if necessary. Make sure they DO NOT OVERFILL- leaking acid can eat up the car. Remove the battery for this operation- one moron scarred mine by placing a hydrometer dripping acid on the car body, so make sure it's a good mechanic and not some 16 year old punk doing the job. Modern batteries normally don't need a top-up- this is just for your peace of mind.

If you decide to replace, then get it from a battery seller- you will get a much better deal. As for the ECU, at max it will be reset, which is not a bad thing to happen.

After having done all this, buy a good set of jumper cables, and learn how to jump start the car. Keep in in the trunk all the time, esp. when going for a long trip. This will serve you better in the long run than a spare battery- saves weight, is less hazardous to carry, doesn't deteriorate with age, and is useful in many situations. And remember- even a brand new battery, esp. a brand new battery, can fail abruptly.

Remember the dictum- chalti gaadi ko chhedna nahin chahiye.

All the best for the trip.
fighterace is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote