Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th April 2008, 14:52   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Since you noticed the high temp after your engine overheated, there is a good chance that the engine oil has degraded. So definitely get an oil change done also.
the mechanics will tell you its okay, but don't listen to them.
since Pune is scorching instead of 10W40 get an engine oil where the upper number is 50
You get 15W50 and 20W50 in the market
In all probability, the engine oil has degraded. I filled in a ltr of coolant. The temperature guage displayed normal yesterday and this morning as well.
However, returning back from Lavasa, I switched on the AC and the guage moved up a bit. Its now displaying at the 2/3rd level, whereas usually its at the halfway mark. I think I will flush out the oil and replace with new engine oil. And top-up some coolant as well.
wanderlustindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 21:17   #17
Team-BHP Support

check your cooling system while at that, engine oil even if it deteriorates, temp will not climb more that 10% than usual, thats why the cooling system is in place
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 10:35   #18
BHPian

The car started overheating again and I took it to the mech yesterday. Its the water pump that has gone bust. Not very happy times for my dear Lancer.
wanderlustindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 11:33   #19

Default Same Situation in my Alto

Hi All, yesterday all of sudden while runing my AC stopped working. Blower was on. I came back home assuming some problems with the ac cooling mech. In the eve again i took my car out and on the signal when i switched off my car - it refused to start. I had to push it alone to the left side with family on board. Opened the bonet. It was all burning hot with burning smell. little smoke. Coolent box was dry empty. the cover was open. there is a straw kind of pipe which goes down attached to the cover. I filled water. no go. went to near by bakery poared 7 - 8 jugs of water slowly in 15 mins and waited there for more half an hour. engine started. it was 10 PM in the night home was still 3 kms. Same happened again once. repeated the same steps. I dont see any alarm lights on the dashboard.
*** How to take my car to service center? is the engine damaged due to this? will the pickup reduce. car 3 years old out of warranty , what will be aprox repair cost?Please advise. Regards, Karim Bhai
Karim Bhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2018, 20:43   #20
BHPian

Default Re: Coolant liquid leakage

Rejuvenating a very old thread as there is a need for me! My VW Golf 6 started showing red blinking indicator warning saying that I have to check the cooling liquid. I drove with it as such for about 300+ km and on Friday, I took it to the mechanic and he filled it with the cooling liquid and told me that it is not normal for the cooling liquid to drain completely. So now within 2 days the whole liquid is out. So there is some leakage somewhere. I'm taking my car tomorrow to check it out! The question is how much should I expect in terms of repair cost? Just a rough figure?
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2018, 21:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Rejuvenating a very old thread as there is a need for me! My VW Golf 6 started showing red blinking indicator warning saying that I have to check the cooling liquid. I drove with it as such for about 300+ km and on Friday, I took it to the mechanic and he filled it with the cooling liquid and told me that it is not normal for the cooling liquid to drain completely. So now within 2 days the whole liquid is out. So there is some leakage somewhere. I'm taking my car tomorrow to check it out! The question is how much should I expect in terms of repair cost? Just a rough figure?
Cost depends on the nature (fix or replace) and number of problems discovered during the check up. Generally coolant loss points to a leak in the cooling system for e.g. the radiator or a hose, OR a engine head gasket failure.

Have you checked the engine oil? It should be clear without any light coloured emulsion or froth. If it is discoloured and/or frothy then you may have a leak, normally in the head gasket, as well which is causing the coolant to seep into the engine's combustion chambers. This mixture of coolant with the oil forms an emulsion. This emulsion does not lend itself to good lubrication. So if left unchecked it could cause engine damage too.

And I'd strongly advise against driving the car in this state. Utilise the services of a tow or flatbed recovery truck and have the car transported to the mechanic.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2018, 21:50   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

And I'd strongly advise against driving the car in this state. Utilise the services of a tow or flatbed recovery truck and have the car transported to the mechanic.
Tomorrow morning the first thing will be that I'm going to take it to the mechanic and leave it there. It is just 3 kms away from where I live. I hope this should be fine! The mechanic who refilled the liquid on Friday told me that I should observe it for the next couple of days, but I did not expect it to be so bad as it is now. It completely drained in a span of less than 2 days. The mechanic will check and let me know where the leakage is. I hope that is is not a dramatic repair!

Do you think that the 300+ km that I drove with the warning might have already caused some damage?

Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited by joe1980 : 29th April 2018 at 21:53.
Old 29th April 2018, 22:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It completely drained in a span of less than 2 days. The mechanic will check and let me know where the leakage is. I hope that is is not a dramatic repair!
In 2 days? Your car has a major coolant leak which I think could be caused by a defective hose pipe or a corroded radiator. You would normally see coolant pooled under the engine. Did you check? Coolant leaks get worse when the engine is hot and cooling system is under pressure.

How large a bill depends on how much has to be repaired/replaced, something only the technician will be able to tell you after he has diagnosed the cause.

Quote:
Do you think that the 300+ km that I drove with the warning might have already caused some damage?
Well, complete loss of coolant can lead to catastrophic engine failure i.e. seizure so I just hope the engine didn't seize on the journey. It can also have an impact on the water pump if it runs dry. Didn't you get warning signs on the dash (temp gauge for e.g.) or the engine not revving up, white smoke from the exhaust, etc?

Your car needs immediate inspection and repair. Don't drive it without a diagnosis and fix.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2018, 22:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
In 2 days? Your car has a major coolant leak which I think could be caused by a defective hose pipe or a corroded radiator. You would normally see coolant pooled under the engine. Did you check? Coolant leaks get worse when the engine is hot and cooling system is under pressure.

How large a bill depends on how much has to be repaired/replaced, something only the technician will be able to tell you after he has diagnosed the cause.

Well, complete loss of coolant can lead to catastrophic engine failure i.e. seizure so I just hope the engine didn't seize on the journey. It can also have an impact on the water pump if it runs dry. Didn't you get warning signs on the dash (temp gauge for e.g.) or the engine not revving up, white smoke from the exhaust, etc?

Your car needs immediate inspection and repair. Don't drive it without a diagnosis and fix.
There was this coolant indication that was blinking all the time, the temperature indicator on my Golf 6 was always hovering around 90 even with the coolant indication blinking. I don't remember noticing any white smoke or whatsoever!

When you say engine seizure, do you mean that the car should have already broken down when driving? That did not happen luckily. I hope that the Golf 6 has a cut off feature that acts to prevent the engine from getting over heated. But where can I check against if this feature is built in my car's model? Have you got an idea?

Should I take the risk and drive this additional 3 km to the mechanic tomorrow? Or should I better get it towed?

Last edited by joe1980 : 29th April 2018 at 22:41.
Old 29th April 2018, 22:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There was this coolant indication that was blinking all the time, the temperature indicator on my Golf 6 was always hovering around 90 even with the coolant indication blinking.
That means there was coolant but the level was low because of the leakage. Warning systems are made/designed to alert you BEFORE a complete failure of a vital component occurs.

Therefore, pay attention next time to ALL the dials, gauges and lights. Most important dials and lights? In order of importance: brakes + ABS, airbags + SRS, engine oil pressure, engine temperature gauge, check engine light, alternator/battery charging,

If any one or more of these are activated means you should not drive unless absolutely necessary. If brakes/ABS lights go on mid journey slow the car down and stop the car ASAP using a combination of brakes + engine braking. You can also activate (pull up on) the parking brake lever gradually to slow the car down. This system applies the rear brakes using a cable and is not dependent on hydraulic pressure.

Do not use the car with an oil pressure alert or coolant temperature alert light on. If driving halt the car right away and switch off the engine.

The others like check engine and battery charge indicators will let you drive but do so only in emergencies.

Quote:
When you say engine seizure, do you mean that the car should have already broken down when driving? That did not happen luckily. I hope that the Golf 6 has a cut off feature that acts to prevent the engine from getting over heated. But where can I check against if this feature is built in my car's model? Have you got an idea?
I don't think your car suffered a seizure which is why you could drive 300 km. And no, there's no car that switches off its engine automatically due to overheating whilst on a highway. It is too risky. That decision is left to the driver as it should always be. However, the engine can stop functioning due to mechanical failure as in the case of seizure.

In some cases and depending on severity the ECU MAY put the engine (and an automatic transmission) into limp mode and not allow you to exceed a certain road speed/engine RPM.

Once again, pay attention to those dials and lights.

Last edited by R2D2 : 29th April 2018 at 23:00.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2018, 23:00   #26
BHPian

Quote:

Do not use the car with an oil pressure alert or coolant temperature alert light on. If driving halt the car right away and switch off the engine.

The others like check engine and battery charge indicators will let you drive but do so only in emergencies.

I don't think your car suffered a seizure which is why you could drive 300 km. And no, there's no car that switches off its engine automatically due to overheating whilst on a highway. It is too risky. That decision is left to the driver as it should always be. However, the engine can stop functioning due to mechanical failure as in the case of seizure.

In some cases and depending on severity the ECU MAY put the engine (and an automatic transmission) into limp mode and not allow you to exceed a certain road speed/engine RPM.

Once again, pay attention to those dials and lights.
Thanks for all your suggestions. Henceforth I will pay attention to these details.
joe1980 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2018, 10:24   #27
BHPian

When you have coolant leakage, it's ok to fill water to drive to the garage (provided you keep filling it to avoid getting dry).
Water is best for heat transfer - the (chemical) coolant is added for the following benefits:
1. Coolant prevents corrosion while water circulates in the engine block. (For this reason, it's also better to add battery water rather than tap water to the coolant tank).
2. Reduces the freezing point of water, so that water does not freeze that easily in cold countries.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 30th April 2018 at 10:29.
jinojohnt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2018, 16:25   #28
BHPian

I just understood from the mechanic that the Water pump is defect and it is causing this leakage. Seems that the Water pump should be replaced. I haven't yet got a price indication as to how much this would cost! I hope that it is not so expensive! But this is annoying that this car from VW is needing such repairs in a span of 5 years. Is this normal?

Last edited by joe1980 : 30th April 2018 at 16:38.
Old 30th April 2018, 16:51   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just understood from the mechanic that the Water pump is defect and it is causing this leakage. Seems that the Water pump should be replaced. I haven't yet got a price indication as to how much this would cost! I hope that it is not so expensive! But this is annoying that this car from VW is needing such repairs in a span of 5 years. Is this normal?
Water pumps are expensive. And your car's WP could have failed due to wear and tear (is it a high mileage car?) OR a lack of coolant.

I'd suggest you ask him to check the rest of the system, radiator, hoses, engine block and heater coils (under the dash)
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2018, 17:12   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Water pumps are expensive. And your car's WP could have failed due to wear and tear (is it a high mileage car?) OR a lack of coolant.

I'd suggest you ask him to check the rest of the system, radiator, hoses, engine block and heater coils (under the dash)
It is a Golf 6. It has seen in 5 years roughly 100000 km! I got an expensive quote to get this fixed! Well I have no choice now. Got to fix it! I'm planning to change the water pump, drive belt, guide roller in one package.

They told me that they checked it and only after that did they find the WP to be the culprit. Should I ask them for the radiator, hoses and engine block as well? I'm not sure if they did this, but that would cost me additional money if I would do that. Now tell me one thing, should I first replace the WP as per the mechanic, drive the car for a couple of days and observe it for further leakages? Should the problem not go away, I go back and check for the radiator, hoses and so on? Is this a valid approach? The problem for me is that the more I ask them now, the more they are going to charge and the more time it would take for me to get my car back.