Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th April 2008, 14:52   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Since you noticed the high temp after your engine overheated, there is a good chance that the engine oil has degraded. So definitely get an oil change done also.
the mechanics will tell you its okay, but don't listen to them.
since Pune is scorching instead of 10W40 get an engine oil where the upper number is 50
You get 15W50 and 20W50 in the market
In all probability, the engine oil has degraded. I filled in a ltr of coolant. The temperature guage displayed normal yesterday and this morning as well.
However, returning back from Lavasa, I switched on the AC and the guage moved up a bit. Its now displaying at the 2/3rd level, whereas usually its at the halfway mark. I think I will flush out the oil and replace with new engine oil. And top-up some coolant as well.
wanderlustindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 21:17   #17
Team-BHP Support

check your cooling system while at that, engine oil even if it deteriorates, temp will not climb more that 10% than usual, thats why the cooling system is in place
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 10:35   #18
BHPian

The car started overheating again and I took it to the mech yesterday. Its the water pump that has gone bust. Not very happy times for my dear Lancer.
wanderlustindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 11:33   #19

Default Same Situation in my Alto

Hi All, yesterday all of sudden while runing my AC stopped working. Blower was on. I came back home assuming some problems with the ac cooling mech. In the eve again i took my car out and on the signal when i switched off my car - it refused to start. I had to push it alone to the left side with family on board. Opened the bonet. It was all burning hot with burning smell. little smoke. Coolent box was dry empty. the cover was open. there is a straw kind of pipe which goes down attached to the cover. I filled water. no go. went to near by bakery poared 7 - 8 jugs of water slowly in 15 mins and waited there for more half an hour. engine started. it was 10 PM in the night home was still 3 kms. Same happened again once. repeated the same steps. I dont see any alarm lights on the dashboard.
*** How to take my car to service center? is the engine damaged due to this? will the pickup reduce. car 3 years old out of warranty , what will be aprox repair cost?Please advise. Regards, Karim Bhai
Karim Bhai is offline   Reply With Quote