Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 28th April 2008, 22:00   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Ac compressor gone bust?

Last night Indica's AC stopped working. The orange light on the control panel would not light up.
I checked the fuses and found that this fuse was blown up. Its a 10A fuse. I put in a spare fuse and that too blew up.
I went to the electrician today, and he tried to trace the short.
When he directly hooked the compressor by wire, the wire started overheating.
The compressor is shorting.
He says that only on opening the compressor he will get to know.
Best case, its a simple wiring short which he can fix, worst case I would need to buy a new Subros compressor. Grey market cost(originality guaranteed) is 7800+1200 for consumables, and including labor the total cost will be 9000.
I will also call Subros authorized service tommorow and try to get a quote from them regarding the cost and if they offer any guarantees.

I know for a fact that they charge 7800 for compressor overhaul, so I think the cost is going to be significantly higher than 7800.
Other doubt I am having is that this is subros, which inherently stands for lousy quality.
This compressor was overhauled near the 50K mark on the odo. I have seen compressors last 150K without any trouble on other cars.
The car is at 100600 as of now.

Any advice or tips? Its 40 degree+ in Delhi, and I plan to get it fixed ASAP
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2008, 23:49   #2
BHPian

Default Faulty A/c Compressor

HI, let me please clarify that subros does not stand for bad quality. The probelem you have mentioned is basicaly from the faulty magnetic clutch of the compressor. This in INDICAS happens because of the location of the compressor on the engine, it is so low that mud and slush enters the rotor bearings . TATA Motors should think of doing something about it . Subros compressors are DENSO JAPAN design and are very efficient and put very less load on the engine. So far as your probelem is concerned since you are in DELHI you can get your comp. removed from the car and give it to SUBROS compressor repair center at NOIDA. After being overhauled here the compressor is gauranteed to work like new and they allso give warranty. For your help iam giving phone numbers 0120-2551017,0120-2521888, Mr. KHAN 09810598666.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Last night Indica's AC stopped working. The orange light on the control panel would not light up.
I checked the fuses and found that this fuse was blown up. Its a 10A fuse. I put in a spare fuse and that too blew up.
I went to the electrician today, and he tried to trace the short.
When he directly hooked the compressor by wire, the wire started overheating.
The compressor is shorting.
He says that only on opening the compressor he will get to know.
Best case, its a simple wiring short which he can fix, worst case I would need to buy a new Subros compressor. Grey market cost(originality guaranteed) is 7800+1200 for consumables, and including labor the total cost will be 9000.
I will also call Subros authorized service tommorow and try to get a quote from them regarding the cost and if they offer any guarantees.

I know for a fact that they charge 7800 for compressor overhaul, so I think the cost is going to be significantly higher than 7800.
Other doubt I am having is that this is subros, which inherently stands for lousy quality.
This compressor was overhauled near the 50K mark on the odo. I have seen compressors last 150K without any trouble on other cars.
The car is at 100600 as of now.

Any advice or tips? Its 40 degree+ in Delhi, and I plan to get it fixed ASAP
alankarmotor is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 00:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have replaced my subros at app 80k, so you should be happy that yours lasted 25k more.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 01:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer - I would definitely give a shot to Pompei/Alankar's advice. He knows what he's talking about.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 01:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Tanveer - I would definitely give a shot to Pompei/Alankar's advice. He knows what he's talking about.
I still have my old compressor with me, maybe someone can get it serviced & use it. But still, I feel servicing an old one for almost the cost of a new one is certainly not worth the trouble.

@alankarmotor... how much would it cost to get the compressor serviced ?
Old 29th April 2008, 02:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
But still, I feel servicing an old one for almost the cost of a new one is certainly not worth the trouble.
Agreed but what if the servicing cost is 1/4th or 1/5th of the cost of a new Compressor? Makes sense then doesn't it?
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 08:54   #7
Team-BHP Support

Now what is this alankar service? Where in Delhi and how much. I intend to ping subros also today.
But my gut feeling is that the compressor has gone for good. Its done 100K+. These things have a limited life I think, right?
Old 29th April 2008, 10:09   #8
Team-BHP Support

Compressors going bust seems to be the norm of the season. Couple of my friends had the same problem though one happened at 1.5L km ( OHC) and another at 90k Km (Zen)
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 10:25   #9
Team-BHP Support

Subros does gives limited warranty after overhaul, their job is usually good since they dont do any fixing, rather they just replace the bust part.

Am with Alankar on his suggestion or get a new compressor and just plonk it in, maybe a better and bigger unit
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 10:59   #10
Team-BHP Support

I am not too happy with subros service. At around 50K I got AC compressor overhaul because the bearing was making noise.
At that point they replaced the bearing, and charged me the AC compressor overhauling amount which is 7000+ (through TASC)
The bearing noise returned at around 80K, but I decided to live with it as its very little.
what seems to have happened now that the compressor itself is shorted.
My mechanic(though a roadside one) is very competent, and he has assured me he will try to repair the compressor first. If he can't then I can get a new compressor and he will plonk it for me.
Old 29th April 2008, 12:47   #11
Team-BHP Support

why dont you try an after market imported compressor, they are cheaper and much more reliable.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 13:04   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
why dont you try an after market imported compressor, they are cheaper and much more reliable.
just what i was about to suggest!! i have installed an aftermarket compressor on my m-1000. the capacity of this compressor is larger than the stock subros (don't remember the exact number) but cooling had improved substantially. it cooled faster and brought temperature down much lower than the stock unit.

i think the unit which is installed in my car is thermo-king or super-king or something. its been 8 years and 45k kms and no problems at all. had to fill gas just once about 3 years back.

p.s : don't know if its common on all cars but my car is a lot more sluggish than it used to be on the stock compressor unit. but the interior cabin comfort in peak summers MOREEE than makes up for it!
flipsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 13:11   #13
Team-BHP Support

good idea I must say.
Meanwhile the car is with the mechanic and afternoon I will get to know whether the compressor can be repaired.
If not then we will search for an after market compressor(non Subros).
Old 29th April 2008, 13:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
just what i was about to suggest!! i have installed an aftermarket compressor on my m-1000. the capacity of this compressor is larger than the stock subros (don't remember the exact number) but cooling had improved substantially. it cooled faster and brought temperature down much lower than the stock unit.

i think the unit which is installed in my car is thermo-king or super-king or something. its been 8 years and 45k kms and no problems at all. had to fill gas just once about 3 years back.

p.s : don't know if its common on all cars but my car is a lot more sluggish than it used to be on the stock compressor unit. but the interior cabin comfort in peak summers MOREEE than makes up for it!

That must be Superking, one of the best. Great to know you are enjoying the powers of that AC, but the 1000 will seriously lack power when you have that AC on. I was contemplating doing that, but then stuck to the original specs.
Old 29th April 2008, 13:30   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
That must be Superking, one of the best. Great to know you are enjoying the powers of that AC, but the 1000 will seriously lack power when you have that AC on. I was contemplating doing that, but then stuck to the original specs.
i think your right.... its superking. its a little too much on the 1000 but guess thats just compromise i'l have to live with! (for now )
flipsyde is offline   Reply With Quote