Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th April 2008, 22:42   #1
BHPian

Default AC Issues. High Engine Load

I'm facing a lot of problems in my Accent 1.6L just after the service from Samara Hyundai.

I had a terrible experience with Samara Hyundai, Maya Puri, New Delhi.

I wont recommend anyone to visit that place for any car checkup.

They messed up with my engine, dashboard, ac, steering, clutch and everything.

Now, i had to fight with them to fix them all, still its not been fixed.

This time they really messed up with the AC.

As soon as the ac compressor goes on, car looses its smoothness and engine is taking a lot of load.

What can be the problem?

Compressor belt is too tight?
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 23:41   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I will be following this closely. our alto's AC is effed up. On petrol it was 15kmpl without ac, 11 with ac. Now on CNG, since AC being used last one month, suddenly clutch slippage has come up (16k km total, 6k km on CNG.). But MASS (rohan/apra) find no wrong with ac! let's hope its just minor - but pickup has completely died.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 01:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

You can call Hyundai help line at following citing the dealership greivance.
Maruti is quick to act, don't no much about hyundai.

1800-11-4645 Toll Free
Or email at
cr@hmil.net.

BTW what did they do, did they refilled the gas, after which the problem cropped?

It could be
1. belt tension
2. referigant oil low.

PS: I am assuming the cooling is good. i.e compressor is working, gas is R134a.

Last edited by SirAlec : 30th April 2008 at 01:59.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 09:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Did u refill Ac gas?If yes then there will be a change in a load characterstics as less of AC gas will put less load on the engine then properly filled gas.
Compressor belt too tight is also possible.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 10:07   #5
Rai
BHPian

Hi,

I dunno how the AC Compressor is in Accent, but I had similar problem in my Tata Safari, where in, whenever I switched on AC it used to give heavy load to Engine.
It turned out that the 'O' ring of AC Compressor was bad and hence oil leaked from Compressor..... I overhauled the AC Compressor with an expert AC Mechanic and things were back to normal afterwards.
So as 'SirAlec' put it in this thread, check the Compressor Oil.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 09:11   #6
BHPian

thanx for the replies guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I will be following this closely. our alto's AC is effed up. On petrol it was 15kmpl without ac, 11 with ac. Now on CNG, since AC being used last one month, suddenly clutch slippage has come up (16k km total, 6k km on CNG.). But MASS (rohan/apra) find no wrong with ac! let's hope its just minor - but pickup has completely died.
I have a big engine mate. My pickup don't completely dies on CNG and also have a TAP installed in my car.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...erformance+cng (Performance Mods for CNG Cars)

So, CNG is not an issue. I'm getting problems in Petrol too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
You can call Hyundai help line at following citing the dealership greivance.
Maruti is quick to act, don't no much about hyundai.

1800-11-4645 Toll Free
Or email at
cr@hmil.net.

BTW what did they do, did they refilled the gas, after which the problem cropped?

It could be
1. belt tension
2. referigant oil low.

PS: I am assuming the cooling is good. i.e compressor is working, gas is R134a.
Yeah i had gone for a AC Level 4 Service. They refilled the gas and it is chilling like anything.
Its of no use they will again call me and wont do anything. There is just one sernior tech guy for the car and he helped me a lot. Rest whole staff is like they wanna thug their customers.

You know what stupid reason they gave me, that its because of CNG clippers. I asked them to remove my CNG clippers and put the car direct on petrol taking off all the connections for CNG. Again they faced a lot of problem.

Then they already messed up with my Green Twin Cone and had a good fight with them for it. They were putting the blame on me that My Green Twin Cone messed up with my Car. I said what the hell man you know anything about the air filters or just thugging the guys.

8-9 customers were there, and i was really killing each and every ques raised by them on the exhaust and air filter mods.

On that day their senior tech guy was on leave. You know what they told me next? haha My Exhaust is creating a problem because of the back pressure. I told them you fools it is a free flow exhaust. Man Samara New Manager and their New staff is full of idiots, but their past staff was really superb.

Right now my car is there with an expert, i asked him to check that along with the suspension overhaul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Did u refill Ac gas?If yes then there will be a change in a load characterstics as less of AC gas will put less load on the engine then properly filled gas.
Compressor belt too tight is also possible.
Yup Level 4 service. Yeah, This point is already there in my mind. I had googled abt it and found Compressor belt problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Hi,

I dunno how the AC Compressor is in Accent, but I had similar problem in my Tata Safari, where in, whenever I switched on AC it used to give heavy load to Engine.
It turned out that the 'O' ring of AC Compressor was bad and hence oil leaked from Compressor..... I overhauled the AC Compressor with an expert AC Mechanic and things were back to normal afterwards.
So as 'SirAlec' put it in this thread, check the Compressor Oil.
thanx bro. i will surely search abt this thing too.
Old 9th May 2008, 11:50   #7
BHPian

I went to Samara last saturday for 2nd free service. Just Had one issue with Rear Seat and the same could not be rectified by them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
Man Samara New Manager and their New staff is full of idiots, but their past staff was really superb.
thanx bro. i will surely search abt this thing too.
You talking about Gaurav? Heard the same from a couple of more customers which were present at the time I went for servicing.
The things are pretty much disorganised and everything seems to be messed up.

No Q following. They just put a block on ur car and there is No funda of First Come First Served.

I had to constantly tell each and everyone to first take the car to wash bay, then for oil change and so on....

I was not at all satisfied with the way they work.
achopraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2008, 11:01   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
I went to Samara last saturday for 2nd free service. Just Had one issue with Rear Seat and the same could not be rectified by them.

You talking about Gaurav? Heard the same from a couple of more customers which were present at the time I went for servicing.
The things are pretty much disorganised and everything seems to be messed up.

No Q following. They just put a block on ur car and there is No funda of First Come First Served.

I had to constantly tell each and everyone to first take the car to wash bay, then for oil change and so on....

I was not at all satisfied with the way they work.
Yup bro. i'm talking of Mr. Gaurav. He has so much attitude i really i can't tell you. Their Previous Manager was really a gem and he was really friendly with the customers and i always have my problems fixed. If i tell their previous manager that its an emergency, and request him which happened once, my car was fixed in an emergency.

Samara just have 1 good senior tech, Harpreet. He had always been very much helpful to me in any case. Its just AC thing, was not under his control rest car is working perfectly fine. I will recommend you to visit Hans Hyundai or if possible Company Owned Hyundai Plaza at mathura road. Samara don't have senior techs man, only one guy is there rest they are all local mechanic types. Even Local Guys do better job than them. Mr. Gaurav, Uff i really don't wanna see his face so much full of attitude, now nothing is left there. But for plaza you need to take appointment from them because there is a backlog of 15 days. Yesterday itself i had been to Plaza for my Elantra CRDi. I asked for the appointment from them for AC Problem in Accent. It is 15 days waiting haha. Man, they are really good. my Elantra always goes there and i'm very much happy with their service and that too quality work till date.

By the way, for which car you had been to Samara?
Old 11th May 2008, 11:13   #9
BHPian

hi guys,
in fact ive been having troubles with the AC in my esteem vxi

i cant find a logic in the behaviour, because at times it works at times it does not work

the blower is working fine and the yellow AC light is ON whenever i switch it ON
but the cooling comes and goes whenever it wants.

i switch it OFF completely and after some time when i switch it ON, it might start working.

any clues on whatz happening
joe_mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2008, 11:28   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_mclaren View Post
hi guys,

i cant find a logic in the behaviour, because at times it works at times it does not work

the blower is working fine and the yellow AC light is ON whenever i switch it ON

i switch it OFF completely and after some time when i switch it ON, it might start working.

could be a clogged orifice / expansion valve, if yes change it and would be good to flush for any dirt, metal which could screw up the compressor, vaccum refil gas. Also make sure to change the drier.

if its orifice its a tedious job to get under the dash for access to evaporator to get to orfice.

Last edited by Jr Godzilla : 11th May 2008 at 11:39.
Jr Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2008, 11:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_mclaren View Post
hi guys,

Go for the AC service for your car and tuning. I'm not sure about Esteem's AC but in Accent if idle rpm goes below 600 then my AC Compressor will just trips off.

You need to checkout your thermostat too. It may cause such problems.
Old 11th May 2008, 11:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
Go for the AC service for your car and tuning. I'm not sure about Esteem's AC but in Accent if idle rpm goes below 600 then my AC Compressor will just trips off.

You need to checkout your thermostat too. It may cause such problems.
If your AC compressor trips below 600rpm then its the problem with your vaccum pipes (engine) whose job is to maintain the vaccum and increase the rpm when the AC is ON. you need to check whatever sensors you have MAF O2 etc (I am not sure of which sensors but I am sure of the what I wrote above).

I may be wrong on this one but I guess your idle should be around 800 anyway without AC.
Jr Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2008, 16:29   #13
Rai
BHPian

Default AC - At times it works at times it does not work

===============================================

The above mentioend problem could be due to faulty AC Thermostat switch. Normally its inside the Dash Board (I guess near the glove box) which switches off the AC when temperature reaches desired limit and switches on the AC when the temperature inside the cabin raises.

Once I had the similar issue in my Tata-Sierra and by replacing the AC thermostat (which was just behind the glove box) this erratic behavior was fixed.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2008, 23:30   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
If your AC compressor trips below 600rpm then its the problem with your vaccum pipes (engine) whose job is to maintain the vaccum and increase the rpm when the AC is ON. you need to check whatever sensors you have MAF O2 etc (I am not sure of which sensors but I am sure of the what I wrote above).

I may be wrong on this one but I guess your idle should be around 800 anyway without AC.
It may be due to weak compression of the car. or AC Barring Problem which i think i have in my car right now and as you said vaccum and rpm increases a lil bit because of the load on the engine.
yup Idle RPM should be 800 RPM without AC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post

The above mentioend problem could be due to faulty AC Thermostat switch. Normally its inside the Dash Board (I guess near the glove box) which switches off the AC when temperature reaches desired limit and switches on the AC when the temperature inside the cabin raises.

Once I had the similar issue in my Tata-Sierra and by replacing the AC thermostat (which was just behind the glove box) this erratic behavior was fixed.
It depends on car to car. It is a sensor near the middle aircon (inside the dash board) in Maruti Cars like Alto, swift etc. I really dont have any idea abt other cars which controls the tripping of AC Compressor.

My Accent will be going to Hyundai Plaza soon like in few days and can tell abt its details on that day itself about thermostat and many other details about Accent's AC.
Old 12th May 2008, 02:00   #15
BHPian

Default Opel Astra

Hey people,
I have same problem in my old Astra. At first i thought its because my car has become old and perhaps the engine has lost it's power or something but after reading this thread, i now have doubts.

Car - 98 Opel Astra 1.6 Petrol.
Without the AC on, the car performs brilliantly, but as soon as the AC is switched on, the engine takes a hell lot of load and believe me, the car becomes so sluggish that im sure a taxi can overtake me.

(Well, perhaps im exaggerating but it does become way too sluggish as if the car has added a few hundred kgs to it)

Any suggestions will very helpful.
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote