Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th March 2010, 21:40   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Ok I'm done with Exide now. My pulsar has seen 2 batteries in 2.5 years. I gave it for charging last week and it died today. I took it to the shop and he said that the battery is gone.
He suggested Amaron and quoted 1700 for it.
My Lancer also has a Amaron battery (INR 3500 with 300 INR for my old Exide).

Lets see how the new brand works out.
Prince ,
I got Amaron 9 AH sealed battery and installed my self . .1400 Rs . JC road signal there is a amaron dealer (GNT marketing if I am right ) next to kalyani bajaj spares .

PS:Apply Vaseline to contacts after installation , not grease .This can be applied for cars contacts also ,infact any battery contacts .I repeat apply Vaseline.
Attached Thumbnails
Oh No! Exide battery woes again-dsc00762.jpg  

Last edited by black12rr : 20th March 2010 at 21:44.
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 22:07   #167
Senior - BHPian

Hey thanks man! Wonder why he said 1700. I will use Vaseline like you said. Thanks Brah!
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 00:20   #168
Senior - BHPian

^^^Why is everyone so stuck on Vaselene? Lesser brand, cheaper petroleum jelly works much better for this purpose and lasts longer!
Raccoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 11:22   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Why is everyone so stuck on Vaselene? Lesser brand, cheaper petroleum jelly works much better for this purpose and lasts longer!
Simply because it's the commonly available one. I've always felt that normal petroleum jelly is better for applying at terminals than Vaseline !
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 13:18   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
bcos that's what available or easily spotted on the dressing table . let me buy a pack of petroleum jelly next time . But Vaseline is even more refined ,so battery should be happy . .
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 19:11   #171
Senior - BHPian

I bought a brand new exide battery last week.Ever since it's been installed the car starter acts funny.The starter almost every time on the 1st crank stops halfway,typical of a 800 starter when the battery is weak,and the starts up.On the second tries,it seems fine.Is something wrong with the starter or the battery?
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 20:06   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I bought a brand new exide battery last week.Ever since it's been installed the car starter acts funny.The starter almost every time on the 1st crank stops halfway,typical of a 800 starter when the battery is weak,and the starts up.On the second tries,it seems fine.Is something wrong with the starter or the battery?
I'd suspect the battery is partially discharged...get it checked.

But because it is a new battery, I wouldn't suspect battery failure just yet. There may have been a reason for a low state of charge. May be it has not been charging well due to loose clamps? Happens when dealers install batteries in a hurry.

Cheers!
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 20:43   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In all probability the starter motor needs new carbon bushes. How old is the car ? Also get the alternator charging checked. If the charging is not upto the mark, it would not give enough amperage to the starter.

My motto after 25 years of owning cars is - EXIDE (once the most trusted brand) is no longer reliable. Go with Amaron, Prestolite, Globatt (New Brand), Minda, Bosch. Not essentially in that order. These will go a much longer way than the earstwhile trusted EXIDE

Hope this helps

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 29th May 2010 at 20:44.
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 00:51   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I'd suspect the battery is partially discharged...get it checked.

But because it is a new battery, I wouldn't suspect battery failure just yet. There may have been a reason for a low state of charge. May be it has not been charging well due to loose clamps? Happens when dealers install batteries in a hurry.

Cheers!
IMO, just because it is new does not put it above suspision, ESPECIALLY when it is an Exide! We have had a new Exide which kicked the bucket in the 1st week itself.

In fact, since the battery is an Exide and its new, I would suggest testing the battery 1st.

Do not continue using the car this way. It could damage the starter.
Old 30th May 2010, 09:40   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO, just because it is new does not put it above suspision, ESPECIALLY when it is an Exide! We have had a new Exide which kicked the bucket in the 1st week itself.

In fact, since the battery is an Exide and its new, I would suggest testing the battery 1st.

Do not continue using the car this way. It could damage the starter.
Agreed Raccoon...that's what I suggested too i.e. checking the battery 1st

But I'd give Exide the benefit of a doubt (given my decades long positive experience with the brand) and proceed to check the clamps, charging system etc before condemning the batt. If it IS a faulty battery then I too am going to have 2nd thoughts about Exide. As many people have said before the quality has deteriorated.

A battery on a shelf self discharges slowly but surely. A CA/CA battery (such as Tata Green and Exide Matrix) can go without a charge for 6 months and a SB/CA (low maintenance) for 3 months before sulphation sets in and capacity plus life is compromised. Hence it is important to check the month of mfr.

I was impressed by Amaron's fit and finish (you remember that PM thread we were on earlier this year) and it is definitely a main contender when it comes to buying a replacement.

As an aside, my OEM Exide Freedom batt (and the car) is now nearly 20 months old, a time span I consider its 1st quality check and half life for an (OEM) battery which as a rule of the thumb is generally 30-40 months in a hot tropical country like India. So far no issues as should be the case with meticulous maintenance. Lets see how long it lasts.

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 30th May 2010 at 09:41.
Old 30th May 2010, 09:45   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
My motto after 25 years of owning cars is - EXIDE (once the most trusted brand) is no longer reliable. Go with Amaron, Prestolite, Globatt (New Brand), Minda, Bosch. Not essentially in that order. These will go a much longer way than the earstwhile trusted EXIDE
Prestolite is an Exide Brand, right?
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 09:58   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Prestolite is an Exide Brand, right?
Yes it is. But not the Indian Exide, it's the US based company. They cannot use the Exide name in India for obvious reasons and is present here thru the Prestolite brand.

Cheers!
Old 30th May 2010, 20:04   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Agreed Raccoon...that's what I suggested too i.e. checking the battery 1st
Cheers!
Yes, of course I recall. Its always best to start checking stuff thats easiest to check, hence I suggested battery 1st.

sumeethaldankar, do let us know what was at fault, after you fix it.
Old 30th May 2010, 21:06   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, of course I recall. Its always best to start checking stuff thats easiest to check, hence I suggested battery 1st.

sumeethaldankar, do let us know what was at fault, after you fix it.
well i did go to the dealer again today, he connected the battery to some box like thingy and on came a a light which said the status was ok.Now the thing is , we tried the starter at the dealers place a couple of times and the car started just fine.But when i came home , i parked the car, switched off the ignition and switched it on again,the fan came on and again the battery struggled to crank the car.I switched off and started again it started normally.

According to the attendant at the dealer there is no problem with the battery but he was also not saying that the alternator was at fault.When i mentioned about the half crank thing he asked me to switch on,switch off and start.Will try that tommorow morning but i am seriosuly doubting the exide.
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 22:26   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
well i did go to the dealer again today, he connected the battery to some box like thingy and on came a a light which said the status was ok.Now the thing is , we tried the starter at the dealers place a couple of times and the car started just fine.But when i came home , i parked the car, switched off the ignition and switched it on again,the fan came on and again the battery struggled to crank the car.I switched off and started again it started normally.

According to the attendant at the dealer there is no problem with the battery but he was also not saying that the alternator was at fault.When i mentioned about the half crank thing he asked me to switch on,switch off and start.Will try that tommorow morning but i am seriosuly doubting the exide.
What the dealer seems to have done is a load test that cleared the battery and your alternator/charging circuit. If the battery was bad it wouldnt have cranked the engine at the second attempt.

Here's a common thing - some starters do not disengage from the flywheel when the car starts and the starter continues to turn at revs far beyond what it's designed for. The starter may be overheating coz of this. Get it checked, carbon brushes and all.

BTW, another suspect is the starter relay.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers!