Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th July 2012, 03:38   #256
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Oh No! Exide battery woes again

Ok, I'm a known Exide battery hater, but now I guess I'm going to be a Exide Bat Mobile service hater as well.

Car was unused for quite sometime and the battery ran down enough to make it impossible to start the car. Needed the car urgently on the same day, so called the Bat Mobile service at night. They came in an hour or so.

For no reason, for testing the battery, the guy removed one (or both, I don't recall) terminals. After it was done, it seemed that one of the terminals was not fixed tightly enough. This was discovered after he jump started the car. And before I could react, the guy just pulled out the terminal while the car was running!!

In case somebody does not know what this can do, read this.

This is just plain disgusting. Seems Exide does not even train its guys to do something as simple as jump starting. Or if they are trained, can't be bothered to care about such things. Now no Exide and no BatMobile in my life. They are the most hazardous things you can do to your vehicles. I have mentioned many times earlier what their sub-standard and low-life batteries have done to my vehicles, so wont repeat again.

Its better to get the battery bench charged, no matter what.... unless of course you are stuck somewhere with absolutely no options.

Beware guys, of this low grade service... the fiendish Batman in the friendly sounding Bat Mobile can fry your car. And don't be so sure if you think you can prevent them from doing this or something else before the damage is done... it happens faster than you can react. And you may also get a lecture on how they know their job and have been doing it for x centuries and similar gibberish (exactly as mentioned in the article in the link). And that wasn't enough of the crudity - the guy also started to crudely bang the terminal somewhere on the engine bay itself, among other things. I'm keeping my fingers crossed tightly that it hasn't caused any damage.

I'm seething enough to shoot off a complaint to Exide. But do they even entertain complaints for the BatMobile service? Can't see this option anywhere. Anybody knows?

Last edited by Raccoon : 29th July 2012 at 04:03.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2012, 09:26   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
For no reason, for testing the battery, the guy removed one (or both, I don't recall) terminals. After it was done, it seemed that one of the terminals was not fixed tightly enough. This was discovered after he jump started the car. And before I could react, the guy just pulled out the terminal while the car was running!! I'm seething enough to shoot off a complaint to Exide. But do they even entertain complaints for the BatMobile service? Can't see this option anywhere. Anybody knows?
Wow man! Disconnecting the battery can be dangerous to the electronic equipment in your car. Very disappointing indeed. I'd have throttled the man if he had done this. Better to closely supervise a 3rd party adjusting or working under the hood.

It is certainly better to get your battery bench charged - if you have a charger. I had to travel and my car would be unused for about 2 1/2 weeks, I took out the battery and connected it to a charger at home. The battery was on continuous charge for that duration and maintain at 100% SOC for that duration.

Unfortunately other than Exide nobody offers this service and nearly all drivers avail of it at some time or the other. I saw a new i10 being jump started by an Exide batmobile service person yesterday. My Dad has availed of it too. When you are stuck on the road due to a battery problem without your own jumper cables, their service does come as a life saviour.

PS - come to think of it, an ASC may offer a break down rescue service. Nearly all car mfrs offer this nowadays. You can contact Maruti's dealers too.

Last edited by R2D2 : 29th July 2012 at 09:28.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 01:01   #258
Senior - BHPian

^^^Thats what I said - these people cause damage so quickly, they are more than capable to do the needful even if you are breathing right under their noses. The guy had no qualms to even start to bang the removed terminal on the bonnet itself!! You can imagine what kind of guys they hire for the service.

I know its a free service, but this free can prove to be super expensive if this is the way they are trained.

Btw, what kind of charger do you have? Do you get cheap household trickle chargers in India? I could definitely use one. Last time I gave it to Amaron for bench charging they did not do a great job either - they didn't even charge the battery fully and they charged a fair bit too... including extra for home service. But even that is heavenly compared to Bat Mobile.

Gotta check on Maruti's break down service now.

Tried to send a complaint/feedback on the Exide site. After taking time to type it all, the site throws up an error when you try to submit the form. So now I can hate their website too.

People can gauge Exide's professionalism from all this.
Old 30th July 2012, 17:44   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Btw, what kind of charger do you have? Do you get cheap household trickle chargers in India? I could definitely use one.
Gotta check on Maruti's break down service now.

Tried to send a complaint/feedback on the Exide site.
I bought two microprocessor controlled chargers when abroad. The commonly used one is a 1.25A Deltran Battery Tender. Also bought a Black & Decker 20A uProcessor charger that can jump start a car with - it has a peak 60A jump start capability. This I use in case the battery ever goes flat. Never used it so far.

You get trickle chargers in Pune..only go in for the automatic SMPS models - but the mfrs are unknown to me at least. Please choose carefully as a bad charger can wreck your battery. There's one guy I almost purchased a charger from but changed my mind - Nana Industries at Shivajinagar. Check out some more here:

Automobile Battery Charger in Pune, India on Infomedia Yellow Pages

BTW, Exide's site especially exidereachout.com is as flaky as sites can get. Works on and off and definitely conks off at night

I had written into Exide from this site and got a response in a days time

Try this page: Contact Exide

Cheers!

PS - Come to think of it, maybe you can check with a battery dealer for a charger, for e.g the guy at S'nagar former Amaron store. He would know for sure where and which one to buy

Last edited by R2D2 : 30th July 2012 at 17:54. Reason: Added PS
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 03:15   #260
Senior - BHPian

^^^Thanks so much for the info! Will check it out tomm as its real late right now. Meanwhile, just one question - any idea about the price? Its something I'd need once in maybe several months, so not keep on spending much on it. Whats more, I hope it doesn't occupy much space... my folks already think I'v plans to open a garage or something.

As for the contact Exide link, I guess I tried to submit my concern on the same form, but it wouldn't get accepted. Will try again later... or maybe I'm just wasting my time, sigh!

Last edited by Raccoon : 31st July 2012 at 03:18.
Old 31st July 2012, 11:35   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile, just one question - any idea about the price? Its something I'd need once in maybe several months, so not keep on spending much on it. Whats more, I hope it doesn't occupy much space... my folks already think I'v plans to open a garage or something.
No idea about the price or size of the local chargers. Before you contact these local manufacturers, do speak with that ex Amaron dealer on FC Road opp the Police grounds, or any other well known battery dealer for help on good quality chargers. These guys use trickle chargers and will certainly know where to get them. Try to get a switching (SMPS) microprocessor controlled charger if possible.

yeah I know what you mean about the garage - same here. DIYer that I am, there's a collection of tools that makes my room appear much like a technicians garage. LOL!

Let me know how your search for the charger goes.

Cheers!
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 18:06   #262
Senior - BHPian

^^^Thanks mate, I'll do that when I get some time to be around that side. That ex-Amaron dealer should be a good starting point. He even helped me get a decent hydrometer too. Too bad he no longer deals with Amaron. I'v not had a terrific experience with Amaron's current dealer.
Old 29th September 2012, 10:34   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Its better to get the battery bench charged, no matter what.... unless of course you are stuck somewhere with absolutely no options.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed tightly that it hasn't caused any damage.
If something had been damaged (engine electronics, etc), you'd probably have seen it by now - yellow check engine light, or red charging system light would be on in the instrument cluster.

I've owned at least a couple dozen vehicles over nearly 30 years; I drove / restored a lot of older cars and was always on a budget, often stretching the life of under-rated batteries. I had a set of jumper cables in the car at all times and know a little about jump-starting - and I never once saw any damage done to any vehicle. So I cannot agree that bench-charging is superior or that there's some inherent risk factor with jump-starting, if done properly.

BTW, the proper procedure for jump-starting is this:

1. Neither car should be running, or touching each other.
2. Connect the one end of the positive (red) lead of the jumper cable to the positive (+) terminal of the dead battery, making sure the clamp is tight and you've got a good "bite".
3. Connect the other end to the positive terminal of the good battery, ensuring the same.
4. Connect the negative (black) jumper cable lead to the negative (-) side of the good battery.
5. Connect the other end of the negative lead to a ground point on the frame or engine block of the dead vehicle - NOT TO THE BATTERY!

6. Start the vehicle with the good battery.
7. Start the dead vehicle.
8. Once running well, remove the leads in the reverse order.

It is important, in all of this, to make sure your jumper cable clamps don't touch each other or other earthed (grounded) parts of either vehicle EVER during the entire connection / removal process. Good idea to keep the positive lead clamped back on its own insulation so that it can't touch anything else until getting it attached where it's supposed to be.

Anyway, this has always worked for me. Here in India, you have people trying to jump-start cars with old scrap pieces of domestic electrical wiring, etc - too small and with no clamps. Bad practices and ignorance complete the recipe for disaster. Get some good cables and follow the above procedure and you will save yourself a lot of time / hassle / expense and risk of personal injury.
ringoism is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 11:20   #264
BHPian

Dear Bhpians,

I have an Exide battery ( stock ) in my car which is merely 18 months ,

On an Occassional inspection of the engine bay I always tend to find white powder around the vicinity of the battery , sometimes on the nuts and bolts next to the area of the battery but the overall battery seems to be clean with no leaks.

Seems like there is something that seems to splurge all over from the battery but am unable to figure out from where , the powder gets washed if if sprayed on with water but after a few days tere is always more !!

Could you please advise as to how this powder gets aformed around the battery area , it seems to corrode the surface at certain sections as well !

Please advice
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 23:49   #265
Senior - BHPian

The Exide that came in my i20 conked off so bad that even after trickle charging with battery tender for a few days, it just wouldn't hold charge anymore!

Had to jump the car and tried to charge by driving the car, but the car accidentally stalled(my mistake) and didn't start again! lol

Just bought a Bosch battery( Mega Power Silver S5 12v 45AH). Wonder how long it'll last!

Hope they make like a Li-Ion battery in the same form factor with enough punch, the lead-acid batteries itself might contribute to 10% of the weight from the engine bay!
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 16:11   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Dear Bhpians,

I have an Exide battery ( stock ) in my car which is merely 18 months ,

On an Occassional inspection of the engine bay I always tend to find white powder around the vicinity of the battery , sometimes on the nuts and bolts next to the area of the battery but the overall battery seems to be clean with no leaks.

Seems like there is something that seems to splurge all over from the battery but am unable to figure out from where , the powder gets washed if if sprayed on with water but after a few days tere is always more !!

Could you please advise as to how this powder gets aformed around the battery area , it seems to corrode the surface at certain sections as well !

Please advice
There are a few possibilities
1. The battery is regularly overcharging. This overheats the battery and in the process some acid may spill out of the filling holes. This is what leaves the residue. get the charging circuit checked.

2. There may be a crack in the battery wall. Take the battery out. Clean and dry the sides, top bottom and all the metal around it. Check every day. You will be able to find the leakage point.

3. Though rare, the battery may have been over filled - beyond the level marked. In that case it will spill acid on rough rods.

4. The battery may not be tightly bolted, so will spill when ever the car jumps.

Just as a routine maintenance -
. Coat the terminals with petroleum jelly, not grease, every three months.
. Tighten the filling holes once a month.
. Tighten the mounting bracket(s) during servicing.
. Avoid washing the battery with a hose, take it out and wipe it clean.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 02:06   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
If something had been damaged (engine electronics, etc), you'd probably have seen it by now - yellow check engine light, or red charging system light would be on in the instrument cluster.

I've owned at least a couple dozen vehicles over nearly 30 years; I drove / restored a lot of older cars and was always on a budget, often stretching the life of under-rated batteries. I had a set of jumper cables in the car at all times and know a little about jump-starting - and I never once saw any damage done to any vehicle. So I cannot agree that bench-charging is superior or that there's some inherent risk factor with jump-starting, if done properly.
Can't agree with that. Just because no fault has been manifest in your specific cases, it does not mean its the right thing to do. Its like those mechanics who say its perfectly fine to disconnect the battery on a running car. What is wrong remains wrong, and should ideally not be attempted, except maybe in emergency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
There are a few possibilities
1. The battery is regularly overcharging. This overheats the battery and in the process some acid may spill out of the filling holes. This is what leaves the residue. get the charging circuit checked.

2. There may be a crack in the battery wall. Take the battery out. Clean and dry the sides, top bottom and all the metal around it. Check every day. You will be able to find the leakage point.

3. Though rare, the battery may have been over filled - beyond the level marked. In that case it will spill acid on rough rods.

4. The battery may not be tightly bolted, so will spill when ever the car jumps.

Just as a routine maintenance -
. Coat the terminals with petroleum jelly, not grease, every three months.
. Tighten the filling holes once a month.
. Tighten the mounting bracket(s) during servicing.
. Avoid washing the battery with a hose, take it out and wipe it clean.
Do all that and more and also try praying, blackmagic, religious rituals, charity and whatever else you can think of. Most Exides will still leak and fume and corrode things it its vicinity. NOt much you can do to compensate for a bad quality battery. I have to do none of the above for my Amaron and Base Terminal batteries. Never even applied petroleum jelly. The BT has even been overfilled by the %$#@! dealer. And yet the terminals are PERFECTLY clean, no corrosion or fuming or leakage anywhere.
Old 8th October 2012, 08:54   #268
BHPian

My Exide car battery is 4 years old & still going strong, never needed charging even while I was away from the country for 5-6 months & the car was unused. I had disconnected the battery & it started in one go!
Another thing the Amco battery in my bike lasted a little more than 5 yrs.
raihan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 21:25   #269
BHPian

Quote:
What is wrong remains wrong.

...Do all that and more and also try praying, blackmagic, religious rituals, charity and whatever else you can think of.
Hmmm... well, I'm not a moral relativist, so I agree that what's wrong is wrong... but who gives the final word on what's "wrong" in this case??? :-) I'm actually curious to know whether any broadly recognized automotive authority has definitively explained how/why jump-starting is "WRONG" even WHEN DONE PROPERLY, and what specific problems it can / does cause. Besides my own couple dozen cars and broad reading of many car tech mags over the years, I was around car fanatics (on a different continent) most of my life - and in a few decades cannot remember hearing of a single case of a car or its components being damaged by jump starting.

I'm not going to suggest that my own prayers for a car (or the mechanic working on it - namely, me) have never been answered. But miracles are sort of the exception to the rule, and one rule is that definitive "rules" in automotive technology generally have some theoretical / experimental basis on which to make definite assertions about do's and don'ts...

Just my two paise, I'll let it rest now...http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images.../deadhorse.gif

Regards,
Erik
ringoism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 09:53   #270
Senior - BHPian

The battery in the fiat has started to ooze out liquid from the holes in the filling cap(few drops).

I have an ammeter in the car and the behavior is proper: it goes to 30A at startup, within seconds comes to 10 and then to 2/3 Amps.

There is no overfilling the battery fluid also. Now why is it leaking then?
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote