Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st November 2012, 16:57   #271
BHPian

Default Re: Oh No! Exide battery woes again

My OEM batter with my car Inidca Vista TDI (Diesel engine same as Indigo) lasted 3 years 7 months. The OEM battery was EXIDE MF50Z having 50 AH rating, it was not a maintenance free battery. Is it enough life for a battery on a diesel car?

My car was seldom used and if used it was used for long drives.
amit_purohit20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 17:07   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20
My OEM batter with my car Inidca Vista TDI (Diesel engine same as Indigo) lasted 3 years 7 months. The OEM battery was EXIDE MF50Z having 50 AH rating, it was not a maintenance free battery. Is it enough life for a battery on a diesel car?

That's pretty good for an OEM battery especially with a diesel car that wasn't used much. My experience with OEM, especially Exide batteries, is 18-40 months. I replaced my car's battery at 20 months as a proactive measure, it was showing signs of weakness though it would have been able to pull on for at least another year according to the dealer. However my car also doesn't get much running so that's a contributing factor in lower life expectancy. The Exide Matrix had been running well for 29 months without a single problem.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 17:08   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post

Similar battery Exide OEM , model MF50Z lasted for 4 yrs, 10 months in my Indica Turbo DLX, but the car was run daily clocking 42K kms till now. May be daily running helped in increased battery life in my case.

In Diesel cars, anyways battery life are lesser than similar petrol avatars by 6m - 1 yr .

Yours is on lower side , but anything more than 4 years in a diesel car is generally exception.
Amazing is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:17   #274
Senior - BHPian

My OEM exide battery in linea died exactly after 1 years and 10 months. Exide truly sucks. Always had bad experience with all exides i own.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 13:34   #275
Senior - BHPian

Default Do you check your battery periodically?

For all those who say their battery died prematurely(<3 yrs) , can you tell me did you inspect and top up the distilled water every 6 months ? Even if the battery says maintainence free, if it has openable holes at the top it requires SOME maintainence!

We have used exide batteries in all our vehicles . Except one all of them have served us for >3 yrs!

And the exide battery that came with my pulsar is running today even after 5 years. Yes 5 yrs!Now it has started showing signs of weakness! I just make it a point to top up the battery and clean the terminals , apply vaseline every 6 months.

And dont trust that your service center will top up battery during service. Most of them skip this. I know it by experience. Buy a 1 ltr Distilled water bottle for ~~ Rs15 and a syringe for Rs10(Make sure you dispose of the needle in a hospital since its very hazardous!) and check/top up battery every 6 months and see it magically increase its life.

Like we do wheel balancing/alignement periodically, this also must be done periodically.
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 14:22   #276
Senior - BHPian

I've been driving cars/riding bikes for nearly 3 decades now and used all brands of batteries except Amaron and ACDelco. The most reliable have been Exide, SF, Amco and Standard (now defunct) in that order. Quality has improved tremendously over the past 3 decades. It is important to remember ALL OEM batteries are built to a price. If they last over 3 years then it's great but be prepared for a replacement within that timeframe.

I currently use Exide in my cars, inverter and multiple UPS systems. We have an Amaron set in one UPS.

If a battery doesn't last very long it is mostly due to the environment including, temperature (bug bear in India), depth and frequency of discharge, charging systems and lack of maintenance.

Based on an incident back in 1988 I replace the battery proactively in most instances before it goes dead on me. Late model cars put a heavier load on electrical systems and batteries due to preponderance of electrical accessories and electronic control systems. If you have an auto transmission this proactive replacement is a must unless you want to try your luck at jump starting the car with your own or borrowed set of jumper cables.

Will I buy an Amaron? Yes, if nothing else to try it out. I did search for one but couldn't get the correct model and a freshly manufactured battery when I went in for a replacement for my car's OEM battery back in June 2010.

Exide's factory in Pune helps in getting fresh stock, while Amaron was rare. I was advised by the Amaron dealer to wait for fresh stock or go in for AC-Delco which I declined. Date of manufacture is a very important factor in determining how long your after market battery will last. A battery that sits on the shelf for more than 3 months in Indian conditions is likely to sulphate and fail earlier than a battery from a newer batch.

Most of us on TBHP spends 10s of thousands of Rupees on accessories and tyre upgrades right after the car is delivered. If you believe you have an OEM battery that could fail go ahead and replace it with a new one of your choice. A battery replacement is between Rs 3-9K depending on model. This peace of mind is worth it IMO.

Last edited by R2D2 : 22nd November 2012 at 14:24.
Old 23rd November 2012, 03:31   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
The battery in the fiat has started to ooze out liquid from the holes in the filling cap(few drops).

I have an ammeter in the car and the behavior is proper: it goes to 30A at startup, within seconds comes to 10 and then to 2/3 Amps.

There is no overfilling the battery fluid also. Now why is it leaking then?
You haven't mentioned the brand, but if its leaking, it has to be Exide. No other battery in India can match its advanced and patented technology of leaking and fuming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
For all those who say their battery died prematurely(<3 yrs) , can you tell me did you inspect and top up the distilled water every 6 months ? Even if the battery says maintainence free, if it has openable holes at the top it requires SOME maintainence!

We have used exide batteries in all our vehicles . Except one all of them have served us for >3 yrs!

And the exide battery that came with my pulsar is running today even after 5 years. Yes 5 yrs!Now it has started showing signs of weakness! I just make it a point to top up the battery and clean the terminals , apply vaseline every 6 months.

And dont trust that your service center will top up battery during service. Most of them skip this. I know it by experience. Buy a 1 ltr Distilled water bottle for ~~ Rs15 and a syringe for Rs10(Make sure you dispose of the needle in a hospital since its very hazardous!) and check/top up battery every 6 months and see it magically increase its life.

Like we do wheel balancing/alignement periodically, this also must be done periodically.
Well, no. Maybe true for Exides (except VRLA). For eg. Amaron says (some/many) of its models will not need a top up for life. In fact the dealer told me Amaron has instructed them NOT to top them up (I'm guessing top up will be ok only if there is water loss due to overcharging). Amaron 2 wheeler batteries are VRLA, so question of topping the up does not arise. As for my personal experience, the Amaron in my car is maybe over 3 years old now. It has been deep discharged maybe thrice. When I last bothered to check, there was no need to top it up. And there is no need for petroleum jelly either, as crust never forms around the terminals. Not even a trace. So again, thats something you should worry about if you are talking about Exide.

Last edited by Raccoon : 23rd November 2012 at 03:33.
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 08:31   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
You haven't mentioned the brand, but if its leaking, it has to be Exide. No other battery in India can match its advanced and patented technology of leaking and fuming.

Well, no. Maybe true for Exides (except VRLA). For eg. Amaron says (some/many) of its models will not need a top up for life. In fact the dealer told me Amaron has instructed them NOT to top them up (I'm guessing top up will be ok only if there is water loss due to overcharging). Amaron 2 wheeler batteries are VRLA, so question of topping the up does not arise. As for my personal experience, the Amaron in my car is maybe over 3 years old now. It has been deep discharged maybe thrice. When I last bothered to check, there was no need to top it up. And there is no need for petroleum jelly either, as crust never forms around the terminals. Not even a trace. So again, thats something you should worry about if you are talking about Exide.

Crust does not form in case of my exide too. I just clean the terminals of dirt and apply jelly! And what is VRLA? Does the amaron VRLA batteries have openable slots to be able to pour water in? If the slots are not present , then its a fully sealed unit and maintainence free.

Anyway, i told the above with my experience. I can afford 10 mins every 6 months to keep the battery last longer. Purely my personal practise.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 08:47   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Crust does not form in case of my exide too. I just clean the terminals of dirt and apply jelly! And what is VRLA? Does the amaron VRLA batteries have openable slots to be able to pour water in? If the slots are not present , then its a fully sealed unit and maintainence free.

Anyway, i told the above with my experience. I can afford 10 mins every 6 months to keep the battery last longer. Purely my personal practise.

VRLA stands for Valve Regulated Lead Acid these batteries are sealed and the electrolyte is a gel not liquid. These are mostly used in UPS batteries and lately 2 wheeler batteries as well. High end marques also use sealed batteries. They are sensitive to temps which is why they are placed in the boot not the engine compartment.

BTW I do not use Vaseline/petroleum jelly on my batteries' terminals and they have remained crust free for years:

a) Exide ATB OEM 2006 and 2008 (OEM batteries in my recent cars)
b) Exide Matrix 45AH 2010 (currently in use in my car)
c) Exide IT650 165AH Tubular battery 2009 (home inverter)
d) Exide Powersafe UPS 17AH x 4 units VRLA gel batteries 2012 (UPS, this is the 2nd set of batteries i.e. after the factory fitted set which was a Chinese brand)
e) Exide Safepower 7 AH x 2 units UPS VRLA gel batteries 2010 (UPS)
f) Exide Matrix 2010 55AH 2011 (used in my Dad's car)
g) Standard Furukawa 2002 (OEM in my Dad's car)

NONE of these, the oldest going back to early 2002 have ever leaked from the battery case ultrasonic welds or terminals. Of course if the Exide Matrix doesn't last as long as I expect it to then it is bye bye Exide.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 10:58   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

e) Exide Safepower 7 AH x 2 units UPS VRLA gel batteries 2010 (UPS)
R2D2, For computer UPS, there are 2 types of Exide namely Safe Power and Power Safe.
What is the difference, there is some price difference and also looks different.
How to find the date of manufacture in Exide computer UPS battery?
This information is pasted in Amaron Quanta batteries and easy to find.

My car battery (Exide Matrix) is more than 5 years old and till today there is no sign of failing except that at times the starting noise is little different and may be little longer.
Is it advisable to change now or to wait for at least 1 dead start?
My use is limited to city drives.
I am thinking of Amaron/Bosch/Exide.
Though I have had good experience with Exide for auto applications, I am thinking of Amaron for a change.
What do you think?
Jidousha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:21   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidousha View Post
R2D2, For computer UPS, there are 2 types of Exide namely Safe Power and Power Safe. What is the difference, there is some price difference and also looks different.How to find the date of manufacture in Exide computer UPS battery? This information is pasted in Amaron Quanta batteries and easy to find.?
Powersafe is a so called 'premium' model while Safepower is a budget range. Safepower is sold under the 'Chloride' brand name.

It is difficult to decode the manufacture date on a UPS battery. I can do it for a car battery but not UPS I am afraid.

And no, I do NOT work for Exide or any other battery mfr. I am from the computer/software engineering field. However, we do have a TBHPian who works for Exide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidousha View Post
My car battery (Exide Matrix) is more than 5 years old and till today there is no sign of failing except that at times the starting noise is little different and may be little longer. Is it advisable to change now or to wait for at least 1 dead start? My use is limited to city drives. I am thinking of Amaron/Bosch/Exide. Though I have had good experience with Exide for auto applications, I am thinking of Amaron for a change.
5+ years, that's quite good for a Matrix. Gives me some confidence.

If you find the starter turning over bit slower than usual I would suggest you get the battery and the car's charging system checked before you think of a replacement. The issue with the Matrix is that it is sealed so if even one cell goes dry and the battery fails you are stuck. Also, since you are in city and within reach of help from a battery dealer, car ASC etc, you can take a small risk and continue with the battery.

But if you plan to do a long distance journey definitely get it checked and if required change it to be on the safe side. Once again, Exide or Amaron is your choice..Bosch is not something I have used before but I have heard good things as they are supposedly manufactured by Amaron. However dealers discourage you from buying Bosch due to warranty and replacement issues. Buy an Exide or Amaron you won't go wrong.
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:57   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

It is difficult to decode the manufacture date on a UPS battery. I can do it for a car battery but not UPS I am afraid.

5+ years, that's quite good for a Matrix. Gives me some confidence.

If you find the starter turning over bit slower than usual I would suggest you get the battery and the car's charging system checked before you think of a replacement. The issue with the Matrix is that it is sealed so if even one cell goes dry and the battery fails you are stuck. Also, since you are in city and within reach of help from a battery dealer, car ASC etc, you can take a small risk and continue with the battery.
Thanks R2D2
Since I too could not find the date of manufacture on the Powersafe and Safepower batteries from Exide, I stopped using them and switched to Amaron Quanta though they are little difficult to source.
It is disappointing that Exide does not bother to ensure such information to be made available on the battery.
There is a date marking on the bottom of the battery shell which I suppose could be the date of it manufacture.
Due to this reason I guess there are lot of duplicates and recycled Exide batteries that ruin the reputation but Exide does not seem to care.
Who ever is the T-Bhpian working for Exide please note this and do something.

The car's electricals including the battery is regularly checked during service and everything is alright.
Since the service station reads the date of manufacture of the battery, they write a comment "Battery nearing end".
This has been reported for more than a year, yet the battery is going well.
You may be interested to know the first OEM battery in my car was Exide (may be freedom or such basic model) and it lasted for 5 years and 3 months.
May be I am too lucky I guess.
Jidousha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 14:16   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidousha
Thanks R2D2
Since I too could not find the date of manufacture on the Powersafe and Safepower batteries from Exide, I stopped using them and switched to Amaron Quanta though they are little difficult to source.
It is disappointing that Exide does not bother to ensure such information to be made available on the battery.
There is a date marking on the bottom of the battery shell which I suppose could be the date of it manufacture.
Due to this reason I guess there are lot of duplicates and recycled Exide batteries that ruin the reputation but Exide does not seem to care.
Who ever is the T-Bhpian working for Exide please note this and do something.

The car's electricals including the battery is regularly checked during service and everything is alright.
Since the service station reads the date of manufacture of the battery, they write a comment "Battery nearing end".
This has been reported for more than a year, yet the battery is going well.
You may be interested to know the first OEM battery in my car was Exide (may be freedom or such basic model) and it lasted for 5 years and 3 months.
May be I am too lucky I guess.
If there's any consolation, I remembered that Exide print the date of manufacture on the carton that generally holds 4 units . This is for Ups batteries only.

I've been pretty lucky with Exide car batteries except for the OEM in 2010 which had weakened but not died on me @ 20 months old.

The Matrix is being observed and at 29 months has been doing good so far, with no leaks, corrosion or any problem whatsoever. Of course it is well maintained as is the rest of my car. If it fails prematurely ie before 36 months, then no more new Exides even though there is a pro rata warranty coverage for 5 years. :-)
Old 25th November 2012, 03:31   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Guess your question has been answered by R2D2. VRLA batts don't have caps.

I concede that not all 4 wheeler Exide batteries leak and fume but some/many do! The point is that chances of an Exide fuming/leaking seems to be highest compared to any other battery. In fact even in garages I'v seen only Exide batteries leaking/fuming or with crusts around their terminals. I'm yet to see ANY other brand that likes/fumes like some Exides.

With 2 wheeler Exide batteries the situaiton is MUCH worse. In fact it seems most of them leak and fume. On tbhp itself, there is a thread running where hordes of people have complained how their 2 wheeler batteries have always leaked and fumed thru the years. And they definitely last less than other brands. Anybody interested/concerned may please search it out. Another brand that leaks and fumes nicely is Amco (not when it was Amco Yuasa, which used to be very good). Both these are on my blacklist and hate list due to the damage and loss they have caused me, and to others known to me.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 15:25   #285
Senior - BHPian

Resurrecting this thread with my set of woes related to the Exide Matrix.

a) My 31 month old car battery, the Matrix MA45L 45AH ran down after I accidentally left the boot lid open overnight. It was also partially discharged whilst testing the new ICE system that was installed last week. The magic eye began to show white which indicates a low battery charge. The battery was taken out and attached to an automatic bench charger. 24 hours later, no improvement. The eye continued to show a low state of charge..i.e. the battery isn't getting fully charged which isn't a good sign.

The battery was taken to the dealer whose worker opened the magic eye and confidently proclaimed that he would charge it and all would be ok.

b)The MA45L was taken in the Palio which has a ~20-24 month old DIN55 Exide Matrix battery. This battery was purchased in 2011. When I asked the dealer to check that too I was in for a surprise. The magic eye showed red which means low battery water levels. This car is sparingly used so there was absolutely no reason for water levels to drop.

I expressed my disappointment to the dealer mentioning that 2 batteries giving issues is a bit worrisome. He tried to brush it off by saying as long as the car is starting you shouldn't be worried! Here I was a little annoyed and told him that reliability is just as important. And these batteries seem to be anything but. I don't want a break down in the middle of nowhere.

Long story cut short - as since both batteries are under warranty and now with the dealer for charging and testing.

Lesson learnt - no more Exide Matrix batteries for me. If these fail I shall go in for an Amaron.