Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th May 2008, 12:09   #1
Default Timing Belt (Specific direction of rotation)

I decided to get the timing belt changed as I did a rough calculation of 5+yrs usage to approx 100K+ kms. So I bought the Original Timing Belt from Nissan (my cars a 1990 Nissan Laurel Altima - 2ltr - rwd - Manual).
The timing belt had instruction leaflet and also had two yellow marks for crank cam setting and 2 Arrow marks for belt travel.
I asked the mech to get it fixed and being a 2 hour job, remove fanguard cowl, all front pulleys to access timing cover (being a rwd theres a lot of room to work on easily I guess) so decided to spend time at a nearby joint and watch T20.
mech gives a buzz (time spent approx 1hr 45 mins) its ready.
checked to see if all hoses etc fixed right basic check. Labour ouchh ouchh BD 15 (approx Rs1500) cost of Belt BD 6.

the old belt had worn out but was still in good condition with minor hairline cracks. but had certainly gone over its scheduled change.

After driving back home i just remembered of the arrow marks on the belt. so i decided i will give it a check. opened up the 4 bolts holding timing belt inspection cover and could not see the arrow (guess its down somewhere near crank) so cranked but the thing spins so fast could not get to see the arrow. So opened up first plug and turned over the crank pulley and then what was not expected was done.
the dude installed the belt in opposite direction of arrow of travel.

went straight to the mech and showed it to him. and told ghim its wrong and needs to be turned to correct side. The dude gave me his fundas Saarrrr kuch nahi hoga hum 1 year ka guarantee deta.

Made the dude refix to how it should be. finally after another 1 hour 15 mins got all sorted.

Question to team bhp tech guru.
Since the belt was fixed wrong side of arrow travel and driven about 35kms @ 100+kmph then changed to correct side. Total time belt in this position about 6 hrs before rechange to correct marks. Will it cause belt to wear fast and do you suggest i replace the belt again. the labour and parts will cost me again but then the engine is intereference type and wanted to know your views.
Jr Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 15:20   #2
Team-BHP Support

I dont think major wear and tear would have happened, so dont worry too much and enjoy the car.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 04:53   #3
Team-BHP Support

I know that certain racing slicks (and other tyres?) are designed to be run in a particular direction. If you run them in the wrong direction the plys are more likely to start seperating.

Maybe the same logic applies with the construction of the belt?

Either way, as Jaggu said, i wouldnt worry about it over such a short period!!

Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 19:07   #4

thanks Jaggu & Rehaan. will do a visual check after a month just for my thinking head to relax!!
Jr Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote