Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 9th May 2008, 16:55   #1
BHPian

Talking Strange Swift Petrol Behaviour

I use my Swift Vxi for around 2/3 days a week. When I dont use the car for 5 days+, I get this 'thud-thud' sound from the front wheels when they rotate - the vibrations get transmitted to the steering too. When the brake pedal is depressed, the pedal judders (just like ABS! Mine is a non-ABS Vxi).

The vibrations go away completely after 10 min of normal driving, but the best way I figured is a dumb 'brute force' method - 2nd gear driving in 80/90 kmph and it dissapears in a minute.

I've no idea what causes this - got a cursory check done by a mechanic who says things look ok. If the car is not driven for 3/4 days, there is NO issue at ALL! Only surfaces when it exceeds 4 days...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated -my wife says maybe its the car's way of saying 'i miss you'!
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 17:59   #2
BHPian

From your description of the problem, your tyres may be suffering from flat-spotting. Tyres which have gotten hard due to disuse, or tyres whcih are very old are especially susceptible.
vipul_singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 20:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
Tyres which have gotten hard due to disuse, or tyres whcih are very old are especially susceptible.
How old is the car Himan? This is most likely an issue with the tires being hard in certain spots. Do check the tires and also the wheels, suspension and related parts as long periods of not using a car can cause lubrication on moving parts to harden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
maybe its the car's way of saying 'i miss you'!
Yeah. Looks like she has really taken to you and wants you to ride her often.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 20:57   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

Yeah. Looks like she has really taken to you and wants you to ride her often.
And HARD !

Strange ! Mine (2005 vxi) never had this problem. I mostly use mine only in the weekends.

Are the wheels stock ?
2theMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 21:01   #5
Team-BHP Support

Does the car gets washed regularly in between? If so its wet front brakes. Good idea to get the brakes checked anyways.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2008, 14:59   #6
BHPian

thanks a ton for the replies!

hi vipul/aditya, checked - no flat spots. had gone in for michelin energy xm1s 185/70s a few months ago - have done about 5000km in them, no issue at all either in braking/squealing in corners/ride comfort/steering. I maintain 33psi all around. the rims are stock. and i've removed the wheel caps and have put in the hub centre caps of the LXi.

jaggu da, i think you have a point there. the guy cleaning the car does his job zealously - i often see my front and rear rims and rubber dripping wet. shall i ask him to stop doing that? does this damage the discs? can't quite fathom how water causes such a judder!

and yes, i enjoy being taken for a ride by her!
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote