Team-BHP - Santro Xing 03 - Pickup Problem
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Santro Xing 03 - Pickup Problem (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/39549-santro-xing-03-pickup-problem.html)

I have a Santro Xing 2003 Model which has done 56xxx km's till date.
I had earlier planned to sell this but decided against it. I changed the tires at 49xxx km's - put Michelin XM1's and decided to keep it for a few more years.

I have a lot of attachment to this car as it was brought by my Dad and since he passed away a few years back, I have always kept it in very good condition and is used every day by virtually every family member. I also have an Accent which also belonged to my Dad and that is kept only for Highway use.

A few weeks back I have been having a few problems with the car - Whenever I put the AC on the pickup drops drastically and car climbs speed very slowly. Also if the car is loaded with 4 people it really takes time in building speed. The AC works fine and everything else is fine. I got the car serviced around 4000 kms back and would get it serviced very soon again.

All I want to know is that will this problem be solved during routine service or is it a serious problem ?

Problem is that Agra does not have a very good service station so if you guys think it is a big problem, I can take the car to delhi and get it serviced there.

Hi vkochar,

There are a couple of threads with the Santro powerloss complaint....it would do you good to screen through them. However, if the problem is only seen with the air-con, you are (luckily) not a victim of the infamous camshaft issue.

There's a 50k service right? Did it? I think they decarbonze, change plugs, clean this and that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 827889)
There's a 50k service right? Did it? I think they decarbonze, change plugs, clean this and that.

I have not gotten the extensive service done. I think decarbonising is still pending. I think I will get it done now. Should it improve things ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vkochar (Post 827917)
I have not gotten the extensive service done. I think decarbonising is still pending. I think I will get it done now. Should it improve things ?

I owned a Santro since 2003 which I recently sold. Other that a regular maintaiance i never had to do much.

Firstly check the basics, change the following:

Spark plugs
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Engine Oil n filter (hope u used to change every 5000km)

Has the FE also fallen drastically?

Varun, I think it's the A/C compressor at fault. It's about to pack up & hence is overloading the engine leading to the poor pickup.

Have it checked up at HMP & see if the cost of a new compressor is something you can justify or if you can live with the power loss. If you need a good independent garage in Delhi, PM me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragzv (Post 827953)
Has the FE also fallen drastically?

Yes it has, I get around 10 with 100 % AC on in only city Driving.

Thanks Ishaan for the tip, AC Compressor fault is inlikely because AC cooling is very good, as good as new in fact.

I think periodic service or extensive service might be the key to this. I am going to get it decarbonised and engine flushed or whatever and change the spark plugs and oil filter/air filter and change Oil. Lets see what happens then. It's probably going to cost me 4 - 5k.

vkocher get the 60K service done. its a biggie and they do a lot of stuff to the car. Things should sort out after that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aZa (Post 828892)
vkocher get the 60K service done. its a biggie and they do a lot of stuff to the car. Things should sort out after that.

How much would that cost ?? Please let me know if you have that Info. Would appreciate it really.

I finally took out some time and went and gave my car to an expert mechanic ( Local Guy having all Machinery and Ex Hyundai Service Guys )

I told him about the pick up problem and he said he will take care of it -

Here is what he did -

Oil Change - 650 Rs.
Oil Filter - 100 Rs. something
Air Filter - 150 Rs. something
Fuel Filter - 70 Rs.
Coolant - 340 Rs.

Service - 300 Rs.
Injector CLeaning - 100 Rs.
Washing - 100 Rs.

These costs I remember, might be a 100 rs difference here or there. I paid 1800 Rs. in total.

When he comes and delivers the car he honestly tells me that the pickup problem still has not been solved - Pick up is fine but when I am driving the car with AC on, then if it is on 3rd or 4th gear and car slows down, it takes some time to build speed and is frustrating at times.

There is an improvement overall in the car.

Mechanic says he will have to look again and he said something about Oxygen Sensors - I have no clue what that is !!! I asked him anything major and he says NO. I know the mechanic is a very honest guy.

Any Opinions ?? What do you think ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by vkochar (Post 826940)
I have a Santro Xing 2003 Model which has done 56xxx km's till date.
I had earlier planned to sell this but decided against it. I changed the tires at 49xxx km's - put Michelin XM1's and decided to keep it for a few more years.
[...]
A few weeks back I have been having a few problems with the car - Whenever I put the AC on the pickup drops drastically and car climbs speed very slowly. Also if the car is loaded with 4 people it really takes time in building speed. The AC works fine and everything else is fine. I got the car serviced around 4000 kms back and would get it serviced very soon again.
[...]
I finally took out some time and went and gave my car to an expert mechanic [...] Here is what he did -

Oil Change - 650 Rs.
Oil Filter - 100 Rs. something
Air Filter - 150 Rs. something
Fuel Filter - 70 Rs.
Coolant - 340 Rs.

Service - 300 Rs.
Injector CLeaning - 100 Rs.

[..] the pickup problem still has not been solved ...

Here are some possible things you can try.
1. Are your Michelin tyres of stock size or are they upsized? This will have some impact on pickup. I would recommend stock size for Santro, as Michelins have plenty of grip already. Also check tyre pressures. You should set them accurately when cold and I suggest you keep them above the recommended 30 psi (say, 32 psi for city, even higher for highway drives).

2. The petrol you are using will make a big impact. Adulterated petrol can badly affect pickup/top speed. I recommend (unadulterated) Speed or some equivalent premium fuel, as this will minimize the carbon deposits and keep your engine in good shape.

3. You can also ask the Hyundai guys to do throttle body cleaning, in addition to the stuff they have done.

4. Go to an authorized Hyundai dealer and get them to check the engine tuning (in particular, is the ECU working correctly?).

5. I suggest you take your Santro on a couple of highway trips too. I have a gut feeling that the ECU will perform better if you push the car hard occasionally, rather then just confine it to city driving.

6. Is your clutch OK? I am also wondering if bad wheel bearings can affect the car's pickup; I haven't changed mine for about 30000 kms now and I am getting a bit fidgety as Sanjay Hyundai keeps telling me they are fine.

My old (1-lit) Santro has done about 73000 kms now. I am using Speed 97 plus alloy wheels plus overinflated tubeless tyres (stock-size Turanza ER-60 at 36 psi). Also Sanjay Hyundai does throttle body cleaning at each service and I do engine flushing every 10000 kms. The car has terrific pickup, and the engine seems to be more or less at its peak now. Several Xing/Zen guys who challenged me have found my old Santro to be more than a handful. I think the wheels/tyres/pressures/petrol make a world of difference and it is a different car now.

Thanks rks - those are good tips and I will certainly consider them -

My Michelin tyres are stock size.
Petrol I am using is very good.

Other things I will get done soon.

what oil for 650 bucks? i think u can get Castrol Magnatec for 650.

Do a compression test to see if things are fine, check valve clearance also. Throttle body cleaning is also a good idea.

Car sold 2 days back @ 57000 Km's for 1.8 Lacs. Buying Verna CRDi now.

MODS - Please close this thread. Thanks for all your help guy's.