Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th May 2008, 19:14   #1
Default Using a battery tender to revive discharged battery

My 93 gypsy has been sitting for the past 3 months and wont start up. Can I use a battery tender that I use for my motorcycle? Its a 12V 1.25 amp Deltran tender that I use for my beemer and can plug into the cigaretter lighter socket to juice up the battery.

Here is the tender I have: Amazon.com: Deltran SuperSmart Battery Tender Plus 12-Volt 1.25 AMP Battery Charger: Automotive

P.S: Does the gypsy even have a cigarette lighter socket??
xxaarraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 19:55   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Somewhere i read that battery tenders & optimizers that are intended for motorcycle batteries are not sufficient enough to restore a dead automobile battery.

You may nevertheless try it out, the only con being it might take a really really long time to charge up.

Doesn't the tender have the crocodile clips to connect it directly to the battery?
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 19:56   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

This is fine for regular use. I do not think it will juice up a dead unused battery.
I suggest you hand over the battery to a battery- walla for charging. If the battery is still working, you will have it back the next day, fully charged.

But I suspect you may need a new battery.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote