Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th October 2005, 13:23   #31
BHPian

Quote:
I have Indigo GSX euro-III and i felt considerable performance boost with xtra premium. Also i have got 10-11 kmpl in city driving with 50% AC on. I tried speed, power & speed 93 before xtra premium. I would say for indigo euro-III this is the best fuel dont know abt other cars. compression ratio is 9:1 as per manual.

Yes i think Xtra Premium seems to be great. It's definitely better than power and speed(not speed 93,though).
Considering the fact that it's the same cost as Speed and Power- it makes more sense,coz of it's higher Octane rating.There is definitely a improve in the bottom end for the Baleno atleast using the Xtra Premium.

The prob is the distribution network of IOC. I topped up the tank from 2 different IOC outlets. The first one was great. But from the 2nd one, it was really bad. Early morning the Baleno was missing in the 1st , 2nd gear.. ( the car was shaking(jhatkas) )..
This problem happened immediately the next morning when i had topped up the tank. It has happened once again. But it only happens in the morning when you first start the car.

I guess it's bcoz of the Adulteration of the fuel(with Kerosene etc..).The prob is that IOC does not have company owned outlets like the BP pure for sure thing.

IOC shd increase their Quality and marketing. No wonder their fuel does not sell well. For 2 adjacent pumps the BP one always has a huge queue of cars, whereas the workers at IOC pump are almost dozing off!

Last edited by imjimmy : 20th October 2005 at 13:27.
imjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2005, 10:12   #32
Team-BHP Support

hey guys just a question. My pump guy told me that addign octane booster will improve my car's performance. I am not sure esp since he was refering to this knowing full well that i use speed 97.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2005, 12:15   #33
BHPian

Quote:
My pump guy told me that addign octane booster will improve my car's performance
which is this Octane booster. Can you let us know the brand and it's availibilty.

Is it different from the IFTEX-G which is a fuel additive commonly used for petrol and diesel cars.
Old 21st October 2005, 12:41   #34
Team-BHP Support

The bottle he showed me was green in colour. He called it octane booster. ANd that name Iftek sounds familiar.
Old 21st October 2005, 14:53   #35
BHPian

Iftek has several products I guess. I use a green color iftex bottle, work like a mouth wash bottle, and its known as system-G. BTW how much he quoted. system-g is around 228rs here in bang. If its this, then its just a additive.
Also navin, what u do for ur sail? 87? or any more... GM says it has to be 87+system-g.

Last edited by gkrishn : 21st October 2005 at 14:55.
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2005, 15:22   #36
Team-BHP Support

I used to use Speed 93 in the Sail but now use 97. Since I am still on the 1st tank of 97 I dont knopw if I am getting better milage with 97.
Old 21st October 2005, 15:41   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin
The bottle he showed me was green in colour. He called it octane booster. ANd that name Iftek sounds familiar.
Thats b'coz Iftex System G is the green thing that your wife's driver supposedly drinks!
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2005, 15:48   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Thats b'coz Iftex System G is the green thing that your wife's driver supposedly drinks!

But even then i think it's just a additive meant for cleaning the injectors. It's certainly not an octane booster.

BTW i was told that if you go for the Premium fuels there is no need for Iftex coz these fuels already contain additives..
Old 21st October 2005, 17:00   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit
yeah the same bottle.
Old 21st October 2005, 23:53   #40
BHPian

i take back my earlier words on power being a better fuel, i filled up on xtra premium, its great. i ran my zen on 5th gear at 30 kmph an the engine was running at 1K rpm, absolutely no knocking. please let me know of places in bombay where i can tank up on genuienly good xtra premium.
Also are there any good aditives , STP is availabe at approx 300 bucks and one entire bottle goes into asingle tankfull. any alternatives.???

Last edited by Kaizer Sozay : 21st October 2005 at 23:55.
Kaizer Sozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2005, 17:51   #41
BHPian

read this site link -
http://www.autocarindia.com/new/Information.asp?id=1265[color=#333333]http://www.autocarindia.com/new/Information.asp?id=1265[/color]
[color=#333333][/color]
[color=#333333]There it says - [color=#000000]Petrol will come with a higher octane rating and 91 RON will be standard in BS III markets. This is to promote higher compression engines that emit lower pollution but need the octane to go up from the present 87 RON.[/color]
[/color]
amitabh_kaushal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2005, 20:56   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
I used to use Speed 93 in the Sail but now use 97. Since I am still on the 1st tank of 97 I dont knopw if I am getting better milage with 97.
Any Update on the FE after tanking up on 97? coz its 10 bucks more than petrol with additives, just looking for feedback before i tank up.
Kaizer Sozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2005, 21:58   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajalphonso
Any Update on the FE after tanking up on 97? coz its 10 bucks more than petrol with additives, just looking for feedback before i tank up.
Hi,
I have a 2002 model Wagon R Lxi. Till very recently I used to use only Speed 93 in the car... and managed to get 14.5 kmpl constant in the city (Delhi) with the AC on (all summer). But for the past 2 months, I've shifted to Speed 97 (It's a tad expensive, but worth it!). Now, that its getting cold around here I don't use the AC that much. The car gives about 16.3 (tankful to tankful calc) in the city. But the best part is the very smooth power delivery. It pulls away cleanly without knocking, and less downshifting needed.

I did a recent day trip to Jaipur (on a full tank of 97)... a round trip of 540 km. With intermittent use of the AC & some crowded city streets (around the Hawa Mahal)... as well as a constant 100 kph on the highway... the car averaged 18.6 kmpl (tankful to tankful). I kept a bottle of STP Octane booster handy (Speed 97 is not available in Jaipur), but didn't have to risk filling there... as the car got me there & back on a single tank.

Cheers,
Roshun

p.s: The car also has a fucon fuel energizer device fitted (apparently keeps carbon deposits down).
Roshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2005, 22:17   #44
BHPian

Last week in UK BBC's Fifth Gear show, they conducted a test on how high octate fuel increases performance of the cars.

The result

For small cars (~ 100 hp) = no power increase at all
For medium cars (~150-200 hp) = less than 1% of so power increase
for sports cars (~250 hp) = appx 5% power increase

It didn't tell anything with fuel economy though - but suggested they will remain more or less same.

Verdict was:
For normal cars, high octane fuel hardly produce any advantage!
sbasak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2005, 22:21   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshun
Hi,
I have a 2002 model Wagon R Lxi. Till very recently I used to use only Speed 93 in the car... and managed to get 14.5 kmpl constant in the city (Delhi) with the AC on (all summer). But for the past 2 months, I've shifted to Speed 97 (It's a tad expensive, but worth it!). Now, that its getting cold around here I don't use the AC that much. The car gives about 16.3 (tankful to tankful calc) in the city. But the best part is the very smooth power delivery. It pulls away cleanly without knocking, and less downshifting needed.

I did a recent day trip to Jaipur (on a full tank of 97)... a round trip of 540 km. With intermittent use of the AC & some crowded city streets (around the Hawa Mahal)... as well as a constant 100 kph on the highway... the car averaged 18.6 kmpl (tankful to tankful). I kept a bottle of STP Octane booster handy (Speed 97 is not available in Jaipur), but didn't have to risk filling there... as the car got me there & back on a single tank.

Cheers,
Roshun

p.s: The car also has a fucon fuel energizer device fitted (apparently keeps carbon deposits down).

Pardon my ignorance, but from where do you get speed 97 petrol in Delhi.
And also about Fuel Energizer.. can you give some more details?.. i am asking this because my lxi is starting to give 12-13 kmpl max that too with ac on half the time...
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote