Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th May 2008, 19:26   #1

Default How to remove these scratches?

These scratches are on the bumper. Just hours after I removed this picture some kid has gone and dashed his cycle into my car and left a deep scratch on the metal part above the front left side wheel. I can feel the scratch with my finger and can see the white metal below.. I dont have a pic of that scratch right now. will upload that soon too.

The car is colored black. how to save my car from being mauled.
Attached Thumbnails
How to remove these scratches?-100_3148.jpg  

How to remove these scratches?-scratch100_3149.jpg  

How to remove these scratches?-scratch100_3150.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 3rd August 2011 at 15:01. Reason: Lets not be disrespectful to other fellow road users.
daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 23:45   #2
BHPian

You could try a rubbing compound to see if that reduces how visible the scratches are but from the pictures you have posted, the only way to remove them completely would be repaint the entire bumper. Hope that helps.
kartikkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2008, 09:54   #3
BANNED

take some paint and do touching over scratch with a small piece of cloth or small paint brush. let it dry and use rubbing compound after one day . it will make the scratch invisible to large extent.
note: only fill scratch dont apply paint over whole area but fill colour in scratch.
harry2223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2008, 10:58   #4
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Wink

For the scratches in metal part you can try some agressive rubbing compound.If the scratch upto bare metal , the only solution is use of touch up paint.Otherwish you can try "Scratch X" , a product from Meguiars, No 1 in car care product. For more details of the product and its uses refer to their web site Car Care Products: Car Waxes to Leather Cleaners, Meguiar's the Leader in Car and Surface Care since 1901.

Last edited by bluealw : 25th May 2008 at 11:17. Reason: spelling mistake
bluealw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2008, 12:35   #5
BANNED

rubbing compound are only helpful if scracth is on paint surface . but from picture we can see that the paint has been scratched and surface below paint can be seen therefore rubbing compound will not be helpful try touch up
harry2223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2008, 14:39   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry2223 View Post
rubbing compound are only helpful if scracth is on paint surface . but from picture we can see that the paint has been scratched and surface below paint can be seen therefore rubbing compound will not be helpful try touch up

Also since the colour is black, rubbing it out will make it kind of hazy.

But try with a very light rubbing compount (water based) from 3M.
Be gentle don't try to rub it all out in the first try.
Then apply wax and then some polish like Formula1 or turtle wax.

Grr...

I hate ppl who are ignorant enough to scratch cars.
I see a lot of ppl like that in our parking lot.
There should a law for that I guess.

If all this does't help have to paint I guess.
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2008, 16:02   #7

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
I hate ppl who are ignorant enough to scratch cars.
I see a lot of ppl like that in our parking lot.
There should a law for that I guess.
these people are arnd 2.5 feet tall and if you try to warn them ..their parents come out and make a tamasha asking where else will the children play!!! ...Well not too close to my car doesnt seem to go down well with them!!!

and yes ...there should be a law
daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2008, 18:04   #8
Team-BHP Support

my bad, the pics are of old scratch

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th May 2008 at 18:05.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 18:46   #9
BHPian

Has anyone tried the scratch removal pen which is shown on tv by telebrands. I intend to order one if anyone can give me a feedback on the the product. My i 20 has got few scratche on the doors and i want to fix them. Please help or suggest any other easy remedy if available.
patil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 19:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
And a Public service announcement. You might have seen a few Ads on TV hawking a pen which can be used to fix scratches in paint.

My Advice : AVOID

If you don't believe me, search for its online reviews.
Or read a bhpian's account of the same
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Fix It Pro Pen - scratch repair kit from Tele shopping network.

I read the review in almost all sites and all of them gave a negative feedback about the product - the tip becomes hard as a stone after one use. I read the review after i bought the product. The pack is still sealed.
You are far better off buying some rubbing compound.
here you go. reposting from the touch up paint thread
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 11:25   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: How to remove these scratches?

I have searched and searched and searched.

And then some more... still couldn't find.

Minor scratches are a part and parcel while commuting and 99% times you aren't at fault

Can someone suggest a good procedure to get rid of very minor superficials scratches and bumper scratches which appear when some cyclist brushes against it while the Car is parked

Heard whites are easier to conceal, true?

Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 23:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

How to avoid huge garage fees for major scratch removals.

Yesterday due to a slight error in judgement, I ended up with a foot-long deep scratch on the front passenger door of the innova.

My first reaction was to take it right away to the roadside mechanic for getting it fixed - but better sense prevailed.

You see- I have been through this scenario before and it runs something like this:

Me: "Bhai yeh scratch lag gaya hai - isko saaf karani hai "
Mechanic (in an apparent show of heartfelt commiseration):
"Uff, saab - yeh toh bahut bura hua."
(Then walking around and peering at the scratch from different angles- as if to show that he is giving it his fullest attention)
Mechanic: Iska toh poora panel paint hoga... (pauses - while I wait with bated breath).
Me: Kitna lagega?
Mechanic: "Saab - dhai hazaar rupaaye" - Rs 2500.
Me: "Par ismein aapko karna kya hai?"
Mechanic (launches into what he thinks is a technical explanation of the back breaking work he has to do, together with the costly materials he has to buy).
Me (at the end , if I am feeling brave) : "Dekho - karna hai toh do hazaar mein karo "- look if you want to do it - do it in Rs 2000
else
Me (if not feeling brave) : "karo - lekin paint match hona chahiye"

And then I quietly remove myself from the scene, feeling stupid at being swindled yet again.

So, this time, I decided a different approach was needed.

I went to a automotive paint shop, and asked him what all is needed for getting the job done. The fellow was very helpful, and even walked out with me to see the car and estimate the right shade of paint for it.
He fixed me up with a 50 gm set of paint, clear coat, thinner, 1 tin of putty, 1 tin of filler, 1 tube of hardener, masking tape, 2 sand-papers (1000 no.), paint primer and a couple of dhotis all for Rs 550.

Armed to the teeth with the tools of the trade, I made a couple of calls to two of the roadside mechanics and having decided a time to meet, went off to get the job done.

At the first mechanic's place
Me: "Bhai yeh scratch lag gaya hai - isko saaf karani hai "
Mechanic: " Haan saab ho jayega "
Me : "Material main doonga - aap labour ka kitna lenge? "
Mechanic : "Kya material hai? "
At which point I open up the bag of goodies and show him the stuff.
Mechanic : "saab - mujhe akhbaar chahiye - ismein toh nahin hai"
Me: "Mil jaayegi. Apke labour ke liye kitna?"
Mechanic: "saab - chaysau" (Rs 600)
Me: "material main de raha hoon. kaam ke liye jyada se jyada ek ghanta lagega. aap jitna maang rahe ho utna to officers ko bhi nahin milta hoga. theek theek batao" -I am giving the material. The work will take at most 1 hour. You are asking more than what officers make. Give me a reasonable price.
Mechanic: "saab - hunnar wali baat hai" - It's a matter of skill
Me : "final batao"
Mechanic : "char sau" (Rs 400)
Me: "sochoonga" (and then I leave for the other guy's place)

At the second mechanic's place
Me: "Bhai yeh scratch lag gaya hai - isko saaf karani hai. Material main doonga. Apke labour ke liye kitna?"
(At this point I let on that Mechanic 1 has given me a quote of Rs 300.)
Mechanic2: "haan main kar doonga utne paise mein" - Yes I'll do it for Rs 300.
Me: "Dekho bhai - main tumhare paas isliye aya hoon kyonki ummeed thi - ki aap do sau mein kar doge. Chalo agar teen sau lene hi hain - toh bumper ke side se nishan saaf kar dena". - Look , I came to you thinking you will do the job for Rs 200. But if you insist on Rs 300 - you need to clean up the bumper (some stone chipped away a bit of the paint on the inside edge).
Mechanic - "Zaroor" .

Finally he does the job. While doing it he lets on that they usually make a huge profit on denting / painting jobs because customers don't take the trouble to find out what it really takes.
I drive away knowing that I still have the raw materials - which can be used for the next job as well. Total cost = Rs 850.

Estimated savings for door + bumper paint job at dealer = Rs 10000 - Rs 850 = Rs 9150.
Estimated savings for door + bumper paint job at roadside mechanic = Rs 5000 - Rs 850 = Rs 4150.

Lessons learnt:
a) Don't go right away to a garage to get it fixed:
If you are like me, your heart is probably torn asunder by that unsightly dent/scrape/ding/scratch.
Don't let your heart rule your head. Pause.

b) Find out what it costs- do the research
i) for removing the dent
ii) for paint prep : - this means washing the area down, sanding it, applying filler+ hardener & sand, applying primer & sand.
iii) for the actual painting
iv) materials

Go to as many garages as possible - shop around - and ask them what they will take to do only part of the work both with and without the materials.

c) Cross check material prices in at least 2 shops. You will be surprised to see differences.

d) Bargain hard. Let them know, that you are willing to get only part of the job done with them if required. That will keep them on their toes.

e) You may also consider getting the denting and paint prep done at a roadside mechanic, and going in for the final paint finish at the dealer. -here too you will need to bargain hard with the body shop department. This is because their prices include denting + paint prep + paint.

f) At the end of the day, getting the body work done is no different from getting mechanical work done. There are "grades" of workmanship as well as materials. But if you are savvy about the work to be done - at least you won't be taken for a ride.

Note To Moderator: If in case this kind of information is already on some other thread please move it there. I could not find that- so posted in the most relevant thread that I could find.
joybhowmik is offline   (22) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 01:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
How to avoid huge garage fees for major scratch removals.

At the end of the day, getting the body work done is no different from getting mechanical work done. There are "grades" of workmanship as well as materials. But if you are savvy about the work to be done - at least you won't be taken for a ride.
Now this is Awesome! Glad you have the guts to try it out, because I'm not quite sure I do

Also, could you please post some pics of the damaged area (before and after, if possible)?

Congratulations on the money saved and knowledge gained. I'm not sure if I will give it a try myself, but hats off to ya!
VeluM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 08:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Also, could you please post some pics of the damaged area (before and after, if possible)?
@ VeluM - Sorry I did not take a picture of the damaged area before, but can certainly post the after once I get back from office.

Reason I did not take a picture of this scratch before was because, initially I had not expected to go to the trouble to beat these guys at their game.

It's only when I was half-way to the garage, that I said to myself "what the hell-let's see what happens if I get the materials". After that- one thing led to another and thus the story.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

This is extremely useful info, and I can completely visualize the whole scene. This is actualy very true in most cases, even non automotive.

Doing a lot of research and buying the material will ensure you end up saving a huge amount. Have done this for work related to car, doing up one of the sofas in my house and so on.

Thanks again for this. Great job
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote