Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2008, 13:23   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 399
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Swift - throttle response

I've a new problem - after a cold start, the revs keep climbing even after I take my foot of the accelerator. For example, when changing gears, I just take my foot of the pedal, depress the clutch and try to shift. Now that the revs keep climbing, depressing the clutch makes it go even further, and suddenly I look like a stupid boyracer.

This happens only for some 5 minutes or so; once she's warmed up, everything's back to normal. Could this be a problem, or am I just missing a maintenance ritual?

Stats - the car is a 2.5 year old Petrol Vxi; done about 35k.
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 13:35   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,650
Thanked: 6,662 Times
Default

From what you have written it appears you press the acc pedal before you start the engine.

You will find a small sticker on your car that specifically asks you to not do this.

The proper way to start a car is to sit down without pressing any pedals.
Ignition.
Wait for a minute and then engage the gear and take off.

Preferably keep all electric components Off.
No ICE, AC or headlight(at least for the first start of the day) when the car is being switched on.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 13:40   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

If you read through the technical section of this forum you will realise that it is a feature in the MPFI cars to idle at 1000rpm when the engine is cold & will settle down to 900 rpm once it is heated up.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 14:17   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,507 Times
Default

Yep i agree with EL, nothing to worry about, it's the case with most mpfi cars have experienced it in Wagon R and Zen (old) too. Once the car is wormed up the idling would return to normal.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 14:24   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 244 Times
Default

Get the spark plugs cleaned !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
I've a new problem - after a cold start, the revs keep climbing even after I take my foot of the accelerator. For example, when changing gears, I just take my foot of the pedal, depress the clutch and try to shift. Now that the revs keep climbing, depressing the clutch makes it go even further, and suddenly I look like a stupid boyracer.

This happens only for some 5 minutes or so; once she's warmed up, everything's back to normal. Could this be a problem, or am I just missing a maintenance ritual?

Stats - the car is a 2.5 year old Petrol Vxi; done about 35k.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 14:39   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
Surprise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,299
Thanked: 129 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Preferably keep all electric components Off.
No ICE, AC or headlight(at least for the first start of the day) when the car is being switched on.
Is that really required? I remember reading in one of the threads that for a moment supply will not be there protecting these equipments,
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 15:03   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 399
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

@Dadu: will check on that.

All, I do understand the idling revs are slightly higher - but my problem is not at idling - it's when she's already rolling. It's like having a stuck accelerator pedal - that's why it's disconcerting.
And I do switch off electrics before switching her off.
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 15:42   #8
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,507 Times
Default

Is it with the AC on? Does it happen when the AC is off?
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 15:47   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 244 Times
Default

Then I will also suggest a cleanup of throttle assembly and inspection of cable, it might need change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
@Dadu: will check on that.

All, I do understand the idling revs are slightly higher - but my problem is not at idling - it's when she's already rolling. It's like having a stuck accelerator pedal - that's why it's disconcerting.
And I do switch off electrics before switching her off.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 15:47   #10
BHPian
 
hyper123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 321
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
@Dadu: will check on that.

All, I do understand the idling revs are slightly higher - but my problem is not at idling - it's when she's already rolling. It's like having a stuck accelerator pedal - that's why it's disconcerting.
And I do switch off electrics before switching her off.
You have a tachometer right? To what RPM does the engine revs rise when you get off the acc pedal? Looking at that, we can tell whether it is because of the cold engine or its something else.
hyper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 23:58   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: bombay
Posts: 440
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The proper way to start a car is to sit down without pressing any pedals.
Ignition.
Wait for a minute and then engage the gear and take off.

Preferably keep all electric components Off.
No ICE, AC or headlight(at least for the first start of the day) when the car is being switched on.
For the swift petrol at least , in the manual it tells you to keep the clutch pressed on startup , its important too
cyneverdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 12:56   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,713
Thanked: 89,079 Times
Default

Thats not a problem at all; it is typical of MPFi cars. In fact, I have seen some that would idle as high as 1,500 rpm when cold. Things return to normal once warmed up.

Just to ensure, have them run a check on your idle settings at the next scheduled service.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 13:23   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 399
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

GTO, as I mentioned earlier - it's not at idling, it's when she's already rolling.

@dadu: thanks - looks like a service center trip is due.

Last edited by ballkey : 27th May 2008 at 13:24. Reason: spelling
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 16:57   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,713
Thanked: 89,079 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
GTO, as I mentioned earlier - it's not at idling, it's when she's already rolling.
I know exactly the situation you talk about. If, at cold idle, the needle is at say 1400 rpms, when you release the clutch (while driving), it will still shoot up.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 17:10   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: goa
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Do you warm up the engine properly, or just start and roll? there is a fast idle system programed in the ECU, when it's cold and the temperature sensor[coolent temp] senses the temp below the acceptable limit,this will keep on happening.
There is a IAC valve which does all this, get it checked if you are not doing any thing wrong when heating the engine.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No response from engine after 4K RPM..Octavia vRS ashish22 Technical Stuff 35 14th April 2009 10:24
Dial 100 for quick response. heavy_foot Street Experiences 21 7th November 2007 18:31
F1 Rapid Response! madhav Int'l Motorsport 0 11th November 2006 19:50
My email to Maruti/their response abt the Swift Sport theMAG The Indian Car Scene 1 1st October 2006 14:59
HONDA CITY: quick response needed- Please Surprise Shifting gears 14 2nd March 2005 09:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks