Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th January 2009, 21:19   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydevil View Post
Hey DKG,

What about in automatic cars? Since the NHC dosent have a temp gauge, i usually wait for the green engine cold light to go off, which does take a while. I usually wait for the light to go off, only then do i put it in drive and move.
I do the same for my Lancer and was advised by Asian Motors Service Manager to let the engine oil/diag light to go off before cranking the engine to ensure a long life for the engine/battery. I did not quite quiz him on the exact details at that time (was too eager to get my new car rolling on the road :-)), but I felt if the light does not go off, there is a problem in the engine, and I would not have cranked it if I wait for it as advised. Maybe it also has to do with making a delay in the battery giving out the highest current surge when engine cranked ??
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2009, 21:35   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
I'm continuing this discussion from another thread that was closed recently. The procedure I use to start my car is as follows:
  1. Engage handbrake
  2. Check to ensure that all electrical components (stereo, AC, headlights) are switched off
  3. Engage clutch
  4. Crank the engine
Engaging the clutch while cranking is proven to decrease load on the starter motor and hence increase battery life

Cheers,
gpa
Surely you mean disengage the clutch i.e. depress the clutch pedal fully before cranking the engine? It reduces the load on the starter and battery.

You may have noticed that people are habituated to leaving their cars in gear...either 1st or 2nd. Depressing the clutch pedal also helps in case one of the mechanics at your service centre leaves the vehicle in gear. The almost reflex like act of depressing the clutch has saved me quite a few minor accidents in the decades that I've been driving.

Cheers!

R2D2
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2009, 21:49   #78
BHPian

On every start, switch ON and OFF the keys for few times to let know the electrical guys that it is coming. Don't rubbish your gear ratios in the morning or after a long gap (5 hrs?)
rshiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 13:14   #79
Senior - BHPian

@rshiv: I did not understand this bit at all. Mind explaining in detail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshiv View Post
On every start, switch ON and OFF the keys for few times to let know the electrical guys that it is coming. Don't rubbish your gear ratios in the morning or after a long gap (5 hrs?)
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 15:34   #80
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Surely you mean disengage the clutch i.e. depress the clutch pedal fully before cranking the engine?
Yes, I mean exactly that, and realized my mistake after I had posted it. I tried editing the post but for some reason my browser started acting up and later, I just gave up.

Cheers,
gpa
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 16:56   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Surely you mean disengage the clutch i.e. depress the clutch pedal fully before cranking the engine? It reduces the load on the starter and battery.

You may have noticed that people are habituated to leaving their cars in gear...either 1st or 2nd. Depressing the clutch pedal also helps in case one of the mechanics at your service centre leaves the vehicle in gear. The almost reflex like act of depressing the clutch has saved me quite a few minor accidents in the decades that I've been driving.

Cheers!

R2D2
I agree some times the gear rod may shifted from neutral position by some kids or some mechanics but
The best practice is
before starting the car you should ensure the gear is in neutral(by just shaking the gear rod left to right) and start the engine,then release the hand brake.

And the clutch is not engaged with the flywheel of the engine during neutral position so there is no extra load acts on the starter. Correct me if i am wrong.
Gasoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 20:57   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline View Post
And the clutch is not engaged with the flywheel of the engine during neutral position so there is no extra load acts on the starter. Correct me if i am wrong.
Less number of parts need to be moved by the starter motor with the clutch pedal depressed.
Anyhow, that is NOT the main reason for adopting the practice.
It is a very good habit to depress the clutch before cranking. Some cars like the Verna will not allow cranking till the clutch pedal is depressed!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 20:57   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline View Post
I agree some times the gear rod may shifted from neutral position by some kids or some mechanics but
The best practice is before starting the car you should ensure the gear is in neutral(by just shaking the gear rod left to right) and start the engine,then release the hand brake.

Best practice as follows:
a) Engage handbrake (I always do and its on till I am ready to let in the clutch)
b) Depress Clutch and bring the gear shift into neutral
c) Keeping the clutch pedal pressed, start the car

I leave the car parked in neutral with the handbrake on when its on level ground. On a slope, I engage the handbrake and the gear in 1st or 2nd depending on the incline.

Yes, the clutch, hence gearbox, is not engaged with the flywheel which is what reduces the starter load. Starting the car in neutral with the clutch engaged causes the gearbox shafts to turn as well.

Regards,

R2D2
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 21:58   #84
BHPian

How I start a car, although im not sure whether it's exactly the right way.

Car status before ignition
- Parking brake on
- Seatbelt put up.
- Headlights , a/c, stereo off
- Car in gear (reverse or 1st as per incline direction) or in neutral (if on level ground)

Starting
- Ignition on , after check engine indicator and etc etc go off
- SLot the gear to neutral
- Press the clutch
- Start the car , hold at max 3-4 secs per cranking session.
- Disengage the parking brake
-Switch the headlights on (if its night)
- Slot into gear and move.

Is the pressing of clutch while the car is neutral necessary ? just curious
Xeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 23:37   #85

The way I learned in the Middle East Driving school (really very tough to get the driving licence) is
Before sitting in the car
Check for engine oil level
Radiator water level
Tyre air pressure Visual Check
Check any thing or any children under the car.( You have to pretend every time by bending and looking underneath the car)
Then
1. Sit in the car and fasten the seat belt
2. Lock the door
3. Adjust the seat
4.Adjust the Rear view mirror.
5. Adjust the side view mirror.
6.Check the gear rod for neutral position
7.Start the car
8.Release the hand brake.
9.Engage the right side indicator(because it all left hand drive)
10.Move the car in to the lane.
Believe me, it may sounds funny but if this order is not followed you are not allowed to drive in the driving school or you will never pass the test. The authorities look for every minor details.
But they never teach me to press the clutch pedal while starting the car.(They are wonderful coaches and they have strict SOP's- Standard Operating Procedures)
Gasoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 01:05   #86
BHPian

Wow that is THE correct way without any minor detailed missed. Its not funny though. If this becomes a habit you would not fret about following rules !

i see it from a pessimistic view so i press the clutch while starting. what if by chance the gear accidentally got slotted into 1st or 2nd by a kid at your side ? or accidentally by the co passenger ? (i have had my friends nudge the gearlever while trying to take out wallets,mobiles etc)

at least pressing of the clutch would ensure that the car does NOT move before you intend it to.
Old 14th January 2009, 08:46   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
at least pressing of the clutch would ensure that the car does NOT move before you intend it to.
Exactly!
While the Middle East procedure is totally correct, that does not mean it cannot be improved upon! Keeping the clutch depressed while applying the starter is one such addition that would further 'improve' that procedure.
Old 14th January 2009, 13:50   #88
BHPian

A question here, the Indica Lxi which I drive (when I am at home). If the car is on a level ground/road. If i just slowly/gradually release the clutch, without pressing the accelerator (i.e the car is idling) the car starts to move without any stutters. I out of curiosity found this out. is this normal ? does it mean the car generates enough power even at idling to move it forward ? (i.e overcome the static friction and become dynamic which is lesser than static) or is it a wrong setting of the clutch ?
Old 14th January 2009, 14:21   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
A question here, the Indica Lxi which I drive (when I am at home). If the car is on a level ground/road. If i just slowly/gradually release the clutch, without pressing the accelerator (i.e the car is idling) the car starts to move without any stutters.
Xeno, this is perfectly normal on diesel vehicles and also on many petrol cars. Specifically so on CRDI vehicles.
Old 14th January 2009, 14:39   #90
BHPian

For me its:

1. See my tyre pressure

2. Sit

3. Close the door

4. Gear back to neutral

5. Hand brakes in default pulled-up state

6. Key in - Display switched on - Wait for 3 secs

7. 1 sec ignition to my car

8. Wait for 3sec now

9. 1 sec ignition to my car - Car starts

10. Hand brake down, 1st Gear move forward a bit

11. Now reverse or move ahead.

- That's my way for a complete cold engine startup.
humm is offline   Reply With Quote