Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th January 2009, 11:01   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
I can not recall where I gathered the info, probably from a forum or article. It does claim stress on engine is more while reversing immediately upon cold start.
Seems to be some confusion to do with the fact that the reverse gear is usually the most powerful gear in a car!
Thing is, it does not load the engine more because it is the lowest gear ratio!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 14:20   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin View Post
but i start in first gear,release the clutch move an inch or so and then reverse ..
i found something interesting to tell that if i directly reverse then sometimes i hear the (katach) sound from the gear box ,but if i opt for the above mention method , i never heard that sound !!!
Very correct! I have wondered what it is. If i move a bit in 1st the sound dosnt come. Can any one explain why this happens in santro ?
petrohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 15:27   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Seems to be some confusion to do with the fact that the reverse gear is usually the most powerful gear in a car!
Thing is, it does not load the engine more because it is the lowest gear ratio!
I ma not sure about reverse gear being the lowest ratio gear. Based on feel factor I think it is some where around second gear, however I'd like to learn if it is otherwise.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 16:17   #109
oss
BHPian

While test driving Linea i noticed that when the engine stalled (the clutch was a bit sharp ), and when i turned the ignition, i couldn't turn it on till i turned the key to complete off position, before turning it on.

I have also noticed this in Logan. A friend tells me that turning the ignition on straight away will reduce the bettery life, though i am not sure about the reason. Why is this forced key turn to off position before turning on the ignition, when the engine stops?
oss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 19:47   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
While test driving Linea i noticed that when the engine stalled (the clutch was a bit sharp ), and when i turned the ignition, i couldn't turn it on till i turned the key to complete off position, before turning it on.

I have also noticed this in Logan. A friend tells me that turning the ignition on straight away will reduce the bettery life, though i am not sure about the reason. Why is this forced key turn to off position before turning on the ignition, when the engine stops?
Supposedly a safety feature to save ignition system, It is provided in Fiat vehicles even before Linea. May be an expert could explain how it helps.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 23:31   #111
BHPian

So many views on how to start a car. Interesting. However the majority of views here is to depress the clutch when starting the car for the first time during the day or night. This may seem stupid but have seen this little sticker by maruti on a wagon r dashboard once which says 'MPFI engine-Do not depress clutch while starting' or something like that. Does this have to be followed in all MPFI cars?
Kevciti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 08:21   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevciti View Post
.. but have seen this little sticker by maruti on a wagon r dashboard once which says 'MPFI engine-Do not depress clutch while starting' or something like that. Does this have to be followed in all MPFI cars?
You've got mixed up there! That sticker says not to press the accelerator while starting. And yes, it is a practice to be followed on all MPFI cars.

Some other oddities you might find in some cars:
After one start, if the engine stalls, you cannot re-start before taking ignition switch all the way to off position. Probably to preclude the possibility of applying the self starter on a running engine.

Some cars will not allow application of self starter without the clutch pedal being depressed.

Last edited by anupmathur : 19th January 2009 at 08:24.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 08:39   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...This may seem stupid but have seen this little sticker by maruti on a wagon r dashboard once which says 'MPFI engine-Do not depress clutch while starting' or something like that. Does this have to be followed in all MPFI cars?
Wow... when did they start giving out this advice! Kevciti, can you please post a photo of this sticker?

The only one I have seen is the one advicing not to use the accelerator, when starting, for the MPFI engines.

EDIT: (Oops..did not notice that Anup has already made the same observation.) Righto Anup, I guess Kevciti might have got confused with the sticker.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 19th January 2009 at 08:43.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 23:01   #114
BHPian

Went down to my pals wagon r during lunch to check this out and yes Anup and Happy you guys are right...It says accelerator lol. Does this mean I need to develop the habit of depressing the clutch when starting the car first thing in the morning. Am getting the impression from this thread that this causes less wear on components. Usually just hop in and start her up after waiting for the fuel pump to stop whirring, idle for a few seconds while I listen for any unusual sounds, check all mirrors, buckle up and slot into reverse.
Kevciti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 05:55   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Does this mean I need to develop the habit of depressing the clutch when starting the car first thing in the morning. Am getting the impression from this thread that this causes less wear on components...
Kevciti,

Would recommend this procedure for all starts and not the first one in the morning. Go ahead and try it and am sure you will notice a difference soon enough.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 09:50   #116

IMHO depressing clutch during startup no way reduces the load on engine, infact there is no load on the engine when started in neutral. Only difference is that if you depress the clutch the rotation of the clutch plate and mainshaft in the gearbox is not happening.This practice came all the way from good old days when accidental startups in gear was a commom phenomenon. Most of vehicles those days had problems like slipping gears with lots of play in the gear lever which made locating neutral difficult.

But i do agree to the fact that in the modern day hectic lifestyle, depressing clutch during startup should be followed by everyone to reduce risk. Also starting the vehicle in gear may result in severe damage to the clutch, and drivetrain assembly, due to the sudden torque.
lonelystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 21:06   #117
BHPian

Quote:
... and when i turned the ignition, i couldn't turn it on till i turned the key to complete off position, before turning it on.

Its a safety feature to avoid double cranking even by mistake. But you can switch On the ignition key to ACC position where all accessories will be ON and engine check will start after this you can crank the engine to start. There is no need to Crank the engine all the way right from inserting the key and this process will overlap the engine check procedures as well.
lightpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 15:22   #118
BHPian

recently read in the owners manual of FIAT Grande Punto diesel

1)engage hand brake.
2)make sure the car is in neutral .
3)turn the key to on.
4)wait for warning lights to go off, except the ones that go off after engine startup.
3)depress the clutch fully.
4)crank the engine.
5)drive off , without waiting, no need for any warm up/revving

the pressing clutch is something that i am not used to.
Trying to follow it consciously from now on.
ms001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 15:36   #119
Senior - BHPian

This is my routine:

1) Close and lock the door, partially open the window.
2) Wear seat belt.
3) Bring the gear shift to neutral.
4) Check all switches are off.
5) Start the engine with clutch depressed, no throttle.
6) Wait till temp gauge points to "C"
7) Switch on the blower.
8) Release hand brake, check all warning lights are off, engage gear and drive sedately for 1 KM till I access the main road.
9) By now temp gauge will indicate normal operating temp, so roll up windows, switch on A/C and move off briskly.

Last edited by Gansan : 17th September 2009 at 15:37.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 16:35   #120
BHPian

Quote:

I have also noticed this in Logan. Why is this forced key turn to off position before turning on the ignition, when the engine stops?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
After one start, if the engine stalls, you cannot re-start before taking ignition switch all the way to off position. Probably to preclude the possibility of applying the self starter on a running engine.
This feature is there in a lot of cars now and is a help especially for new age petrol cars. Your barely hear them ticking!! OSS, your Fiesta has it.
unni.ak is offline   Reply With Quote