Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th May 2008, 13:11   #31
Senior - BHPian

Windshield is covered if broken (scratches are not covered)

Replacement of windshields is best left to Authorized Dealers or Windshield Experts, otherwise poor fitment & non-laminated windshields may be fitted which are cheaper but can do major harm in case of an accident

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 14:04   #32
BHPian

My advice would be that if your not using your car and its left in the sun,its better to raise the wipers away from the windshield.
This helps in getting the rubber blades get back to shape.Sun exposure is its biggest enemy.
Once in a while do use the wipers when your washing your car.
Hope this helps.
zoom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 14:31   #33
Team-BHP Support

Guys lets stick to taking measures during rains. We are only talking about wipers in past few posts Besides most of the posts are repetitive.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 16:38   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Guys lets stick to taking measures during rains. We are only talking about wipers in past few posts Besides most of the posts are repetitive.
Yes, lets talk about rubbers.
  • Is the stock tyres OK
  • Is a all-whether upgrade required
  • Like west should we have two sets? one for summer & one for rain.
Right now I'm running in stock 175/65 R14 Goody, depending on the monsoon I'm planning to upgrade to 195.

Also as part of the monsoon package, am planning to buy a spare set of wipers.

cheers:

Last edited by eclectix 1st : 30th May 2008 at 16:40.
eclectix 1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 17:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

Talking of monsoon preparedness, how many of you have installed door visors? I am told they are of real help in monsoons, as you can keep the windows slightly open, and avoid fogging the windows. You can also avoid using AC to demist the windscreen.
I was about to go for a set last year, but someone in this forum said they are difficult to maintain, and even if one of them is cracked, we need to replace all of them.
Someone else pointed out that car manufacturers spend millions on reducing the drag of the wind tunnel to make the car more aerodynamic, and installing those visors would negate all those efforts.
What say, guys??
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 17:35   #36
Team-BHP Support

It may also be a good time to get your eyes tested.
staring at the team-bhp screen all day long is not going to be doing a whole lot of good to your eyes.

All those clean windscreens, bright headlights can only help so much.

Add an eye checkup to your list of Monsoon preparations.

Your car maybe ready for the Monsoon, are you?
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 18:05   #37
BHPian

Thumbs up Door Visors - Effectiveness quotient.

I have them installed and yes they do seem to have certain positives even during the summers.

To avoid the common problem of the visors getting cracked or chipped off etc, I added a coat of LLumar film ( Security film ) around the visor's exposed surface and then had them installed.

For the moment it seems to do the job well.

Even at speeds > 120kmph on the EEH ( Eastern Express Highway - Mumbai ), have not noticed any issues of wind noise or other issues with them yet.

Hopefully, they will serve me through the season as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Talking of monsoon preparedness, how many of you have installed door visors? I am told they are of real help in monsoons, as you can keep the windows slightly open, and avoid fogging the windows. You can also avoid using AC to demist the windscreen.
I was about to go for a set last year, but someone in this forum said they are difficult to maintain, and even if one of them is cracked, we need to replace all of them.
Someone else pointed out that car manufacturers spend millions on reducing the drag of the wind tunnel to make the car more aerodynamic, and installing those visors would negate all those efforts.
What say, guys??

Last edited by SRShrikanth : 30th May 2008 at 18:06.
SRShrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 18:10   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRShrikanth View Post
I have them installed and yes they do seem to have certain positives even during the summers.

To avoid the common problem of the visors getting cracked or chipped off etc, I added a coat of LLumar film ( Security film ) around the visor's exposed surface and then had them installed.

For the moment it seems to do the job well.

Even at speeds > 120kmph on the EEH ( Eastern Express Highway - Mumbai ), have not noticed any issues of wind noise or other issues with them yet.

Hopefully, they will serve me through the season as well.
Thanks. How much did they cost you? And how much extra did you pay for the sunfilm on those?
I heard that even when you park your car in the hot sun, you can roll down your glasses a bit, as the visors will prevent anyone from slipping their hands into your car. Am I right?
Old 30th May 2008, 18:18   #39
BHPian

Thumbs up

The door visors cost me Rs 750 + 25 fitting charge. Installed at Malad - car accessory store right after Inorbit mall - for the Bbay boys.

My ride has LLumar film on all glasses and the rear glass was showing signs of slight peel-off at the edges - I went to get it corrected and during the same process got to Llumar'ise my door visors as well. Hence didnt cost me at all.

Yes, even during summers, the visors have helped a bit.

Quote:
How much did they cost you? And how much extra did you pay for the sunfilm on those?
I heard that even when you park your car in the hot sun, you can roll down your glasses a bit, as the visors will prevent anyone from slipping their hands into your car. Am I right?
SRShrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 23:37   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRShrikanth View Post
The door visors cost me Rs 750 + 25 fitting charge. Installed at Malad - car accessory store right after Inorbit mall - for the Bbay boys.

My ride has LLumar film on all glasses and the rear glass was showing signs of slight peel-off at the edges - I went to get it corrected and during the same process got to Llumar'ise my door visors as well. Hence didnt cost me at all.

Yes, even during summers, the visors have helped a bit.
Thanks for the info. Here in Hyd, the prices are a lot higher--I got a quote for 2K last year.
Old 1st June 2008, 14:46   #41
BHPian

vnabhi, Can you tell me where these windshield experts are ?
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2008, 17:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

A few feet before the Narayanguda flyover on the left, if you are going from Liberty. There is a small temple on the roadside exactly opposite to WSE, and that is the best landmark.
I think it is around 30 feet from the beginning of the flyover, sreenivass.
Old 1st June 2008, 18:14   #43
BHPian

I need to find rubber mats (6 piece) for CR-V, I would prefer transparent once. Anyone has any clue where I could find them. (current once are carpet mats, real bad for the rainy season)

And about Anti rust, is there any good place in mumbai or any Honda dealer would be able to do a good job?
CR-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2008, 18:15   #44
BHPian

There are some people who'll polish your windshield for Rs 650 or so. Look at places that perform odd jobs like interior cleaning, polishing etc.

I had this done on my indica (now sold) and it removed all the scratches (none were deep).
Quote:
I am in the same boat, dude. WindShield Experts in Hyd gave me the same opinion. I am now contemplating throwing a stone at my windscreen and claiming insurance (have not filed a single claim in the past 7 years).
What say guys? How much can I get from insurance if my windscreen is damaged this way? I am aware that I have to pay for the beading and glue, but how much would they cost?
adityamunshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2008, 18:24   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-V View Post
I need to find rubber mats (6 piece) for CR-V, I would prefer transparent once. Anyone has any clue where I could find them. (current once are carpet mats, real bad for the rainy season)

And about Anti rust, is there any good place in mumbai or any Honda dealer would be able to do a good job?

Any decent accessory shop would carry the plastic transparent foot mats for most cars. Easy to find.

As for the Anti-Rust it is not required at all - unless you had an accident whereby your chasis was damaged, which would have damaged the factory metal coating.

Anti-rust for new age cars is basically hogwash !!
But if you still want to get it done - it'll do no harm to your car.

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote