Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th May 2008, 22:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Palio goes to Wasan for wiper repair. Ends up with a failed aircon

With the monsoons round the corner, my Palio was given to Wasan Tata-Fiat's workshop in chembur since the wipers had conked off. The thermostat was also stuck midway. The car was delivered on last saturday.

I didn't drive it till today morning but I realised that the Air con had conked off! I sent the car to a local garage and they said the gas had leaked out which was supposedly topped up. When my colleague brought the car back, I realised the Air con was still not cooling. Apparently, the garage checked for any leakages too and found none.

What could be wrong? And I wonder whats the connection between wiper motor replacement and Air con conking off. What has Wasan done?!

PS: A complaint email has been sent to Jaldeep Virani of Tata Motors. I don't expect any action but lets see what comes of it.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 22:59   #2
BHPian

Dear Amit,

If you don't get reply from Jaldeep,

Then log your compaint in Fiat.com & in case nothing happens PM Me - i would be able to give you some number of Top Officials of Fiat.

I hope your Problem is solved by Jaldeep.....
anupam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 23:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks like some electrical problem in the first place.

You mentioned a/c not cooling, does it mean that you can sense ( i.e. feel that compressor started working ) compressor working ?
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 00:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Just back after driving the car for a long period. The a/c is off. All that comes out of the vents is HOT air - more like the heater is on. This happens both times - when the a/c is switched on and when it is off.

The compressor works but no cooling - instead I got a free sauna treatment.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 00:50   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
...my Palio was given to Wasan Tata-Fiat's workshop in chembur ...

...I realised that the Air con had conked off! I sent the car to a local garage...

What could be wrong? And I wonder whats the connection between wiper motor replacement and Air con conking off. What has Wasan done?!

PS: A complaint email has been sent to Jaldeep Virani of Tata Motors. I don't expect any action but lets see what comes of it.
Hi Amit,

You have sent the car to a local mechanic and a complaint email to tata ?
Instead, why didnt you just send the car back to the Wasan workshop in order to fix the problem they might have created (or not rectified completely)?

As for the problem - is the air thats coming out HOT or at ambient temperature?

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 00:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

A couple of years back the high-pressure seal on my car's compressor failed resulting in a total loss of A/C gas within 15-20 minutes. After that the compressor worked but due to no gas all it gave out was hot air.

Could you check & make sure that such a problem has not occurred.

P.S. When the gas was leaking I did hear a "whooshing" sound which made me get it checked up at the local garage which gave me the correct diagnosis but there was some gas in it till then. Maybe the gas in your car's system leaked out before the diagnosis, could you have some gas pumped in again & recheck?
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 01:06   #7
Team-BHP Support

Does the compressor start? If not it could be a simple fuse blowing.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 11:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Amit, I think Jaldeep is incharge of Sales, you need to contact: Mangesh Kodalkar for Service issues.

Also as Tsk suggested, check if the fuse is blown.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 12:36   #9
BHPian

There was a mention of the thermostat being stuck, could you check (if it was the A/c's) whether it has given way?
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 13:35   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This may or may not be applicable to your experience, but Wasan has amongst the worst of ethics. I had my Classic delivered through Wasan's Chembur dealership. It came with a pretty high quality ignition switch (possibly imported) that was sourced from Fiat. Even the key has the Fiat symbols over it. When the Jeep was sent for its first service to Wasan, they conveniently changed the imported ignition assembly to a locally made one....compared to the high quality original switch, the replaced (cheap) one seemed to be sourced from a footpath locksmith. I almost burned their workshop down when they couldn't give me a decent explanation for this. Within 30 minutes, a chap came out of nowhere with my original assembly and fitted it back. My Jeep never really went back to Wasan after that incident.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 13:44   #11
Team-BHP Support

Wow, amit, could you get it checked whether they replaced your AC unit with a water tank, and your car now has a air cooler instead of air conditioner.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 14:18   #12
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your Wasan experience.
Please keep us updated about the actual reason for your AC mafunctioning.
For somebody who's so proud of his Fiat,I'm sure this must have shocked you out of your wits.
nitindangoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 16:08   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Tsk bhai,

Woh thoda jyada ho gaya.

Amit, Take care and keep us posted. Wrong time for AC to go bad!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 16:27   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Just back after driving the car for a long period. The a/c is off. All that comes out of the vents is HOT air - more like the heater is on. This happens both times - when the a/c is switched on and when it is off.

The compressor works but no cooling - instead I got a free sauna treatment.
Hi NC,

Even I had the same issue with my car. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...n-c-issue.html (Ikon a/c issue)
Replaced the A/C heater valve and A/C control module under warranty.

- Jag

Last edited by Jaguar : 30th May 2008 at 16:29.
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 10:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the responses guys.

I didn't receive any email from Jaldeep but I did get a sms from Tata Motors giving me a complaint number alongwith the number of the CRO of Wasan. It asks me to get in touch with Wasan for my complaint but I don't trust them anymore. Even more after reading GTO's post on his experience at Wasan. The reason I am trying to get the problem diagnosed outside first is so I can talk to Wasan with some authentic information in my hands.

Needless to add, Wasan has lost my business forever.

Quote:
A couple of years back the high-pressure seal on my car's compressor failed resulting in a total loss of A/C gas within 15-20 minutes. After that the compressor worked but due to no gas all it gave out was hot air.

Could you check & make sure that such a problem has not occurred.

P.S. When the gas was leaking I did hear a "whooshing" sound which made me get it checked up at the local garage which gave me the correct diagnosis but there was some gas in it till then. Maybe the gas in your car's system leaked out before the diagnosis, could you have some gas pumped in again & recheck?
Thanks buddy. I will get that checked out today. Before the car was sent to Wasan for wiper repair there was no problem with the A/c. There was no whooshing sound either which means the gas wasn't leaking out for any reason. I don't know what went wrong.

Last edited by amit : 31st May 2008 at 10:15.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote