Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th July 2018, 23:42   #301
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: What was the average life of your car's brake pads?

2012 Skoda Yeti

Front pads replaced @ 75k
Rears still had material left, but changed @ 90k service just to be on the safe side.

Rotors replaced @ 75k with Brembo ventilated just to try it out, OEM still lying in my store & good for a lot more.

Use brakes only to stop, modulate throttle and use the gearbox intelligently to control speed. Brake pads should not be consumables.
Steeroid is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2018, 09:10   #302
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: What was the average life of your car's brake pads?

Switched over to Brembo brake pads on our i20 diesel after being fed up of the dust and the low life of the OEM brake pads.

I am on the first set and they have lasted 50K kms and have almost worn out . Maybe will last another 2000 kms.
Pros-
-----

Better braking than stock when heated up. Around 25% better bite than stock
Less brake dust

Cons
------

The pads have eaten through the rotor for lunch. So much that the rotors need to be replaced.

Next replacement pads will be from Mintex along with a fresh set of rotors!
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2018, 15:41   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
The car just completed 90K kms last week during a Kerala - Chennai drive. During the long drive, at certain occasions I felt like the braking wasn't as great as usual. Will be looking at replacing the disc pads after a check-up with my FNG.
It wasn't the disc pads - issue was with the Brake Master Cylinder that needs replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Use brakes only to stop, modulate throttle and use the gearbox intelligently to control speed. Brake pads should not be consumables.
Agree. And that's more or less how I do it too - the OE pads on my 2005 Baleno still good at 97K kms attesting this.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote