Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2005, 15:47   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: pune
Posts: 2,088
Thanked: 48 Times
Question run-in for Petra/Palio?

Does any one have an idea of run-in period for Petra? I ran through the manual and there is no mention of it. It does talk about maximum possible speeds in each gear, *after run-in period*. Any clue?

I have put up a restriction of 80 kmph on myself for first 2000 km. Damn it! I am not utilising even half of that 100 bhp :(
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2005, 18:51   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,634
Thanked: 1,261 Times
Default

hey RX
for the first 2000km do not go over 2500 RPM
there was a topic started about it in tech stuff.. look it up.
lots of useful information in there
after the first 2000km gently take it to high speeds to set the engine in
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2005, 19:02   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: pune
Posts: 2,088
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
hey RX
for the first 2000km do not go over 2500 RPM
there was a topic started about it in tech stuff.. look it up.
lots of useful information in there
after the first 2000km gently take it to high speeds to set the engine in
Yep, 80 kmph roughly translates to 2200 rpm in 5th gear. I have to do occasional 3000 rpm revs though. So you are saying 2000 is the run-in period for Petra? I talked to sales person and he was clueless about it too. He thought may be it is not required, but he asked for caution till first 2000km.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2005, 22:12   #4
RJK
Senior - BHPian
 
RJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 940
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Try & limit yourself to 2500rpm & Don't cross 3000rpm atleast for first 1000kms. Revv the engine gradually after that.
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2005, 11:03   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
shravan316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,029
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

I feel 1000 kms is fine...... dont push the revs beyond 2500rpm in this period, and after that gradually increase the engine revs
shravan316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2005, 17:41   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
Deeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Delhi/Noida
Posts: 1,090
Thanked: 67 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Yep, 80 kmph roughly translates to 2200 rpm in 5th gear. I have to do occasional 3000 rpm revs though. So you are saying 2000 is the run-in period for Petra? I talked to sales person and he was clueless about it too. He thought may be it is not required, but he asked for caution till first 2000km.
HAHA! Run-in not required? In that case did he offer to extend the warranty period?
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2005, 18:18   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: pune
Posts: 2,088
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps
HAHA! Run-in not required? In that case did he offer to extend the warranty period?
What he meant is that engine is pre-run before installation on the car. Anyway, I have got 2 years of extended warranty
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2005, 19:00   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,044
Thanked: 474 Times
Default

Just something i came to remember... i have seen some NEW wagonR's and Zen's driven like Ferraris... (forget 2000 rpm... they were doing 5000 rpm)...
guess why??... the people driving it were Maruti employees bringing stock new cars to a Maruti showroom.. and perhaps they were getting late....

Yes.. to my surprise the cars are driven to the showroom instead of taken in a container or truck or something....

So the 50 odd kms on stock new cars lying in showrooms cant be guaranteed to be have been run-in safely till then....
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2005, 19:55   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
shravan316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,029
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
Just something i came to remember... i have seen some NEW wagonR's and Zen's driven like Ferraris... (forget 2000 rpm... they were doing 5000 rpm)...
guess why??... the people driving it were Maruti employees bringing stock new cars to a Maruti showroom.. and perhaps they were getting late....

Yes.. to my surprise the cars are driven to the showroom instead of taken in a container or truck or something....

So the 50 odd kms on stock new cars lying in showrooms cant be guaranteed to be have been run-in safely till then....

I have seen similar thing with the Indicas and Indigos........ my place is pretty close to a Tata showroom(Manipal Motors), so these mechanics "test drive" the car in and around my neighbourhood, before delivery........and boy, u kinda think if the whole run-in concept applies for these machines... the damage may have already been done.
shravan316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2005, 17:02   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Deeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Delhi/Noida
Posts: 1,090
Thanked: 67 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
What he meant is that engine is pre-run before installation on the car. Anyway, I have got 2 years of extended warranty
But the run-in is not only for the engine. Its for the whole drivetrain. Its hardly surprising to hear abt the mechanics revving up new cars. BTW, do the dealers in India offer a 50km test-drive on the day of the delivery?
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2005, 17:19   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: pune
Posts: 2,088
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

I agree Deeps. I checked up them again but they too did not have a clue. 500 km is minimum, that is what I heard.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice needed on used Fiat Palio 1.6/Petra idofsuresh Hatchbacks 17 9th March 2015 19:44
GQ Run II (Golden Quadrilateral Run II) arindamray Travelogues 327 6th August 2013 00:00
Peculiar Problem of Fiat Palio/Petra HU Console greatDrive In-Car Entertainment 14 29th October 2007 14:43
Fiat Petra 1.6 ELXP or Palio 1.6 sports or Palio 1.2 nv ELX? Travel-X Hatchbacks 20 8th November 2006 18:36
Fiat Petra/Palio Headroom problem meerkat The Indian Car Scene 10 23rd December 2004 18:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks