Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2008, 13:39   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shillong
Posts: 925
Thanked: 83 Times
Default

But he does not say that he has to rev hard either. As I read it, his friend is on an incline with 5 people on board. He initiates the movement and the truck refuses to budge. He pulls the hand brake. Revs the engine and release the brakes and moves on. I have done all my driving in Shillong and my experience tells me its normal. Its better if Bharat tells us more to reach a conclusion.

His friend won't need to use the hand brakes if he is well versed with driving on the hills. In Shillong atleast, you cannot drive if you don't know the use of half-clutch. We have to use the clutch on an incline here. The use of hand brakes will ultimately lead us to hit a vehicle behind us and won't be a pleasant sight.

Last edited by SumitB : 8th June 2008 at 13:41.
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 14:12   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Its better if Bharat tells us more to reach a conclusion.
The thread initiator is not in evidence!
Possible that he has headed off to the hills to lend a helping hand to his friend?!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 16:23   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
rkbharat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gurgaon/New Delhi
Posts: 1,590
Thanked: 608 Times
Default

All, thanks alot for your responses, unfortunately he had to move from keylong early as he plan to reach leh same today only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Ask him to disconnect the battery and wait for 5 minutes and re-connect for a soft reset of the ecm. It looks like an ecm problem. If that still does not work, head for a TATA dealer.
Oops, just read the whole thing. Maybe he is not used to starting on inclines. Using hand brakes, revving and slipping the clutch is normal on steep inclines. Also the air being thinner will make the engine struggle till the turbo starts spinning actively.
I will ask him to reset ECM as get to talk to him, I think he will give me a call once he gets the signal near pang.

He is expert driver, driven to hills hundreds of time, he had experience of driving sumo on hills. We together have done lots of hill driving in Indica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Could also be due to bad fuel. Did he top-up from somewhere just before the problem started?
.

I also doubt that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Lohith, he is at Keylong; a good six hours drive from Manali. He'll have to abort the trip to return to Manali, as he would have lost too much valuable time in this process.

I suspect that his ECU has not been set to 'normal' yet as it is perhaps still in running-in mode.
He has decided not to abort the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
If he is using normal diesel, it can be advised to put any additive like STP, System D etc to enhance burning.
I will suggest him the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Bharat, is your friend accustomed to driving in the hills?
Anup sir, as said earlier he is expert driver and have lots of hill driving in sumo and Indica

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Cars with ECU do not display lack of power/black smoke etc.. at high altitudes.
My suspicion is that that Safari is too new. When is the first service? 5000 kms? Isn't the ECU restricted till first service, for 'running in' purposes?
Could this be causing the worry?
First servicing was done at 1500 KM, car was at 4000KM at the start of trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
If Bharat can clarify whether this is his friend's first ever driving experience on the hills, we can be sure.
already replied earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
That's the problem, Sumit. Bharat has not said LITTLE. If he's having to do LOTS then he might fry the clutch!
Which is why I have also asked about the driver's familiarity with hill driving.
Yes, if he called me for concern then there must be something wrong.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 16:31   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
rkbharat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gurgaon/New Delhi
Posts: 1,590
Thanked: 608 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
The thread initiator is not in evidence!
Possible that he has headed off to the hills to lend a helping hand to his friend?!
na na I am right here, just replied to all.

BTW I will not mind going to leh for some helping hand. Leh drive is one wish that keep increasing after every drive.

I supposed to be the part of this trip but had to drop because of unstable health condition of my daughter.

Anyway I am still planning for the trip on my SX4 somewhere near august and have already applied for leaves :-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
But he does not say that he has to rev hard either. As I read it, his friend is on an incline with 5 people on board. He initiates the movement and the truck refuses to budge. He pulls the hand brake. Revs the engine and release the brakes and moves on. I have done all my driving in Shillong and my experience tells me its normal. Its better if Bharat tells us more to reach a conclusion.

His friend won't need to use the hand brakes if he is well versed with driving on the hills. In Shillong atleast, you cannot drive if you don't know the use of half-clutch. We have to use the clutch on an incline here. The use of hand brakes will ultimately lead us to hit a vehicle behind us and won't be a pleasant sight.
Ok I will ask him very specifically about the rev question.

Last edited by rkbharat : 8th June 2008 at 16:49.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 17:36   #20
BHPian
 
garvit2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 241
Thanked: Once
Default

it sounds quite normal to me .....i havent driven the2.2 but yes on steep inclines u have to use the handbrake unless the 4x4 is activated
garvit2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 18:29   #21
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,451 Times
Default

OT:
intersting - signal near pang? how come? satphone? !!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 19:26   #22
BHPian
 
bglsrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 291
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I had same problem while going to ooty,But thats was due to the bad fuel.when i tanked up again i did not face the problem after that.

So,it may be bad fuel tooo.
bglsrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 20:44   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
I supposed to be the part of this trip but had to drop because of unstable health condition of my daughter.

Anyway I am still planning for the trip on my SX4 somewhere near august and have already applied for leaves :-).
Sorry about your having to miss the trip. Hope your daughter is better/OK.(?)

That's a good car for the Leh trip. Would love to hear a performance report from you after the trip!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008, 16:53   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
rkbharat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gurgaon/New Delhi
Posts: 1,590
Thanked: 608 Times
Default

here is the update on Safari, the culprit was choked air filter. He got it cleaned at Keylong and Safari is doing fine. Not sure how it got chocked. May be TASC just did not cared to clean it.

he reached Leh safely today afternoon. No problem in pickup after filter cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Sorry about your having to miss the trip. Hope your daughter is better/OK.(?)
Anup, thanks for your concern, she doing fine now.

Last edited by rkbharat : 9th June 2008 at 16:54.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008, 19:18   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,254
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

Good that they found solution! Thats one reason for bad performance I do agree!

I felt its normal in this case because I noticed My Innova struggled to pull 5 adults with 1 kid and tons of bags, My driver had to shift to 1st gear even response was very slow because my driver followed my instructions and then it worked perfect after he rev the engine a little and then take pickup! thats how we should drive in high altitude and ghat sections.

We cant expect in heavy ghats vehicle with good amount of load, behave like the way it gives pick up in normal road. Another factor is If vehicle is already tired of continuous travelling of more than 2 hours and sudden heavy ghat might have made engine repsonse low.

Few important factors matters:

1. Bad fuel
2. Engine oil grade. I feel now a days oil we get even from authorized dealers are recycled one :(
3. air filter
4. clutch issue
5. Tyre air pressure
6. Spark Plugs/cat converter

Anyway good that issue is fixed.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 9th June 2008 at 19:24.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008, 19:45   #26
BHPian
 
m-hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: mumbai
Posts: 217
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
here is the update on Safari, the culprit was choked air filter. He got it cleaned at Keylong and Safari is doing fine. Not sure how it got chocked. May be TASC just did not cared to clean it.

he reached Leh safely today afternoon. No problem in pickup after filter cleaning.



Anup, thanks for your concern, she doing fine now.
The main culprit on this journey is rarefied air {patli pahadi hawa } The choked air filter amplified the problem !!! O yes i understand the sinking problem ones heart sink s when the car start s playin funny on this route !!! and generally afyer keylong one get s used to the limited powerband available and downshift s @ frequent intervals !! but as i read ur freind reached leh safely following day afternoon i am happy for him !! now the main journey start s ask himto go to nubra valley if he can and not to miss the panggong lake !!! getting permits is a really easy task the local cabbies will try irritating and tell all sort s of crappy stories about pvt cars not allowed on local sigt seeing just the permit is good for all of it !! ask your freind to post his experence here with lot s of photo s !!
Regards
SAAjan
m-hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008, 21:01   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
rkbharat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gurgaon/New Delhi
Posts: 1,590
Thanked: 608 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
We cant expect in heavy ghats vehicle with good amount of load, behave like the way it gives pick up in normal road. Another factor is If vehicle is already tired of continuous travelling of more than 2 hours and sudden heavy ghat might have made engine repsonse low.

Few important factors matters:

1. Bad fuel
2. Engine oil grade. I feel now a days oil we get even from authorized dealers are recycled one :(
3. air filter
4. clutch issue
5. Tyre air pressure
6. Spark Plugs/cat converter

Anyway good that issue is fixed.

Very good points Ravi,

I was just thinking if petrol cars/suv behaves better than diesel in these conditions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
O yes i understand the sinking problem ones heart sink s when the car start s playin funny on this route
Exactly, specially when it is just 3 month and 4000KM old

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
now the main journey start s ask himto go to nubra valley if he can and not to miss the panggong lake
He has plan for Khardungla, Nubra, Pangong etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
ask your freind to post his experence here with lot s of photo s !!
I will invite him to the forum once he is back
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008, 21:40   #28
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,737
Thanked: 4,315 Times
Default

Quote:
rkbharat : .. the culprit was choked air filter. .... Not sure how it got chocked. May be TASC just did not cared to clean it.
4000km of running is too early for this. Unless your friend has been driving a lot in dusty conditions. Also, the air-filter service indicator is something we often miss.

Glad that the problem is resolved. Wishing your friend a safe trip.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 11:34   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: pune
Posts: 250
Thanked: 102 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
4000km of running is too early for this. Unless your friend has been driving a lot in dusty conditions. Also, the air-filter service indicator is something we often miss.

Glad that the problem is resolved. Wishing your friend a safe trip.
its really too early for clogging up air filter. anyway good to know of this problem at higher altitudes.

will add up to my check list of possible problems if I may buy safari.
Jr Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 12:14   #30
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,641 Times
Default

Last month Delhi has seen lots of dust storms. I had to do a premature cleaning of the air filter with the vacuum cleaner because of this.
It seems that the service was done at 1500kms in March-April timeframe, and then with all the dust storms, the air filter got choked.
The rarefied air at top made the problem worse.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem with pickup in Baleno Sang Technical Stuff 24 11th September 2016 11:08
Srinagar - Leh - Pangong - Nubra - Tsomoriri - Keylong - Spiti - shimila with Family hisunil Route / Travel Queries 18 20th June 2016 07:45
Palio 1.2NV - 48000 kms - PickUp problem after oil seal change arijit Technical Stuff 2 8th March 2010 13:33
Zen pickup problem. Please help! honkinDpothole Technical Stuff 7 20th February 2010 19:45
Santro Xing 03 - Pickup Problem vkochar Technical Stuff 14 30th May 2008 17:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks