Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th June 2008, 14:56   #1
BHPian

Default Noisy Swift Diesel

Hello Everyone,

I bought my Swift Diesel (VDi) in April 2007, and since then there have been no major issues, I have clocked over 20,000 kms and got all services on time. Following are the issues I am facing and need help from all the seniors here (specifically the experts on diesel engines) -
  • One on my relative has a Swift Diesel, though it has clocked 35000 kms its much more silent than mine (mine has clocked 20000 kms)
  • About an year back I used to get an average of around 18 kmpl which has suddenly dropped to around 15 kmpl
  • I get the pollution checked regularly and following are the figures -
December 2007 - Mean HSU% 19.1
March 2008 - Mean HSU% 23.6
June 2008 - Mean HSU% 43.6

Surprisingly the rise in fuel consumption is directly proportional to rise in pollution.

On addition to the above if I suddenly accelerate the car at times there is a kind of sound which is equivalent to the crank noise often heard in two strokes or badly maintained 4 stroke bikes.

Is it possible that the crank of my car is damaged ?

I get my car serviced at Rohan NOIDA, so how to communicate this issue to them so that they serious take this up (I have an extended warranty on my car)

All help from here will be used to take my case up with my dealer or Maruti Suzuki..please help

Regards,
Rajat
rajatsingh78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 16:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Which fuel are you using, normal/ premium and brand please. The engine knock points towards the fuel quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I bought my Swift Diesel (VDi) in April 2007, and since then there have been no major issues, I have clocked over 20,000 kms and got all services on time. Following are the issues I am facing and need help from all the seniors here (specifically the experts on diesel engines) -
  • One on my relative has a Swift Diesel, though it has clocked 35000 kms its much more silent than mine (mine has clocked 20000 kms)
  • About an year back I used to get an average of around 18 kmpl which has suddenly dropped to around 15 kmpl
  • I get the pollution checked regularly and following are the figures -
December 2007 - Mean HSU% 19.1
March 2008 - Mean HSU% 23.6
June 2008 - Mean HSU% 43.6

Surprisingly the rise in fuel consumption is directly proportional to rise in pollution.

On addition to the above if I suddenly accelerate the car at times there is a kind of sound which is equivalent to the crank noise often heard in two strokes or badly maintained 4 stroke bikes.

Is it possible that the crank of my car is damaged ?

I get my car serviced at Rohan NOIDA, so how to communicate this issue to them so that they serious take this up (I have an extended warranty on my car)

All help from here will be used to take my case up with my dealer or Maruti Suzuki..please help

Regards,
Rajat
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 16:39   #3
Team-BHP Support

Clean the Air Filter.

Hook up to ECU kit and get Maruti A.S.S to check for error codes.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 19:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:

Looks Like a fuel problem. Don't use premium fuels and go to a new fuel station for refueling. The knocking is pointing towards bad fuel.
thirst4torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 19:28   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the replies....

@dadu - I always use the premium diesel from either of the three retailers HP, BP & Indian Oil, I cannot confirm whether its engine knocking but its a similar sound

@bblost - I just got the air filter replaced at 19,000 kms service; will the error codes give details about damaged crank or any other physical damage in the engine
Old 10th June 2008, 23:15   #6
BHPian

@thirst4torque : Thanks

Just wanted to ask one of my question again, what can be the obvious reason of my pollution figures going up (co-incidently is matching up with the fuel consumption going high)
Old 10th June 2008, 23:57   #7
Team-BHP Support

First of all start using regular diesel, check air filter for any clogging issues. Did you replace the diesel fuel filter at 20k service? Double check the same and ensure proper bleeding and installation of the assembly was done.

Yes error code can let you know if something is really messed up with your engine.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 00:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
First of all start using regular diesel, check air filter for any clogging issues. Did you replace the diesel fuel filter at 20k service? Double check the same and ensure proper bleeding and installation of the assembly was done.

Yes error code can let you know if something is really messed up with your engine.
Thanks Jaggu for the advice and I will implement it from my next tank top up onwards, but is their any specific reason for the advice on regular diesel and avoiding premium diesel, and yes the dealership did charge for the replacement of the diesel fuel filter, I do not know if they actually did it
Old 11th June 2008, 03:10   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
but is their any specific reason for the advice on regular diesel and avoiding premium diesel
The so called premium fuels are causing smoking problems with many common rail engines. You can notice the same with Safari, Accent CRDi etc.

See this thread-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...burners-2.html (Premium Diesel for your Oilburners)
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 03:43   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The so called premium fuels are causing smoking problems with many common rail engines. You can notice the same with Safari, Accent CRDi etc.

See this thread-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...burners-2.html (Premium Diesel for your Oilburners)
Thanks for the pointer...however most of the topic in discussion was about excessive smoke and not about my 'noisy' engine, but still I will try a few tankfulls of normal diesel, what is System D and where can I get it from?
Old 11th June 2008, 07:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Rajat, I would suggest you first get the injectors checked/cleaned.
If that does not do it, it has to be fuel injection pump settings.

Show Maruti Service Centre the same figures you have posted here. They cannot ignore the numbers.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 09:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

The Firstthing you should be looking is the Lambda sensor (if its the same on diesels). THe hgher noise levels could be because of the higher idling of the engine due to incorrect mix. Its the lambda sensor that controlls the pollution in petrols. I think it there should be some simmilar technology in diesels too.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 10:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Fill your tank with normal IOC diesel (just to rule out one point) and reset your ECU by disconnecting the battery. Check Air filter for clogging.

SystemD can be bought from IBP and BP petrol pumps. But dont use it yet, lets first cross out the probables one by one.

Quote:
Thanks for the replies....

@dadu - I always use the premium diesel from either of the three retailers HP, BP & Indian Oil, I cannot confirm whether its engine knocking but its a similar sound
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 10:30   #14
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@thirst4torque : Thanks

Just wanted to ask one of my question again, what can be the obvious reason of my pollution figures going up (co-incidently is matching up with the fuel consumption going high)
A friend of mine recently bought a VDi and it makes a peculiar knocking sound under acceleration. I initially thought it was the engine pinging on account of detonation but apparently the dealer has indicated that some cars have had faulty injectors. A leaking injector in a diesel causes a knock too. It also explains why owing to a richer mix, improper combustion owing to poor atomisation of the fuel, your pollution test results are poor and fuel consumption high.

Please take your car into service and ask for the injectors to be tested. Quite possibly this may be the problem

Last edited by DKG : 11th June 2008 at 10:32.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 11:28   #15
BHPian

Hey Rajat, good to see you here. I think you should check the fuel first as Jaggu has pointed out. Then the air filters for clogging, and finally the injectors. Go one step at a time, and have you ever tried to talk with Maruti Service Engineers on this, has this problem cropped up recently or was it before you went ahead with the last service of your car.
invincible7 is offline   Reply With Quote