Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th June 2008, 16:59   #1
BHPian

Exclamation Water condensing inside the car!! Need Advice

Hi Guys!
Need help with the following problem.
Of late i noticed water(not stagnant, but condensed like a cold bottle out from the fridge in summers) under the mats(front seats only) of my Ikon.
Earlier the water from the A/C was coming inside the cabin on the left side so i went to Ford and got that rectified and got the pipes cleaned so that water from the A/C goes out of the car(the way it should.) And this was water like if you would spill water from a bottle or something not condensed droplets.
(After a week or more)But even then i see water condensed under the front mats whenever i am running the A/C. This does not happen when the car is not run on A/C or when its stationary overnight.
So i checked around the area below the dashboard where i suspected that if its water leaking it should be originating from there(since there is a box there which is related to the A/C) but again nothing around that area or area around the mats, even the carpet around the mat is dry. Its only under the mats and no area around it.
I even thought it might be that the cleaner cleans the mats with water and puts wet mats back in the car due to which the underside does not dry up because of the carpet beneath. But i again checked when i started off for office at 2.00 P.M and it was dry. Car is cleant at 10.00 AM. Car is out in the sun since morning.

Its a strange phenomenon but thats what i am facing so if you'all could please help out.
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 17:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Do not clean the inside for 3 days and see if you still get the water.

Try to trace where exactly the A/C pipe goes thru your fire wall, this may not be the box, and see if there are traces of moisture there (It could be these are drying quickly in the sun and you are not catching them.

Maybe water is coming from elsewhere. Door or window rubber molding may not be tight allowing water to accumulate. This water might come in from washing or rain.

Another old culprit is the antenna, believe it or not. Sometimes water will get in thru an antenna and follow the cable and drip inside.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 17:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

have u recently got your car washed ?
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 18:51   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Do not clean the inside for 3 days and see if you still get the water.
Done, still the same.

Quote:
Try to trace where exactly the A/C pipe goes thru your fire wall, this may not be the box, and see if there are traces of moisture there (It could be these are drying quickly in the sun and you are not catching them.
Will have to try this.

Quote:
Maybe water is coming from elsewhere. Door or window rubber molding may not be tight allowing water to accumulate. This water might come in from washing or rain.
Checked that as well. The mouldings and rubber seals are all in good shape, it has'nt rained here since the past few days and my car hasnt been washed since quite a few days and the cleaner just wipes the car with a wet cloth, does'nt wash it entirely with water.
And as mentioned by me earlier, when i get into the car its dry, when i run it on A/C then this happens.

Quote:
Another old culprit is the antenna, believe it or not. Sometimes water will get in thru an antenna and follow the cable and drip inside.
I dont think this is happening aswell as then water would most probably be on TOP of the mats than under them and its condensed water like the mats have been sprayed not stagnant/standing water.
Old 11th June 2008, 19:00   #5
Team-BHP Support

First trace the AC drain pipe, its in the middle tunnel of the footwell, near the fire wall, remove the tube and insert another tube and pass water through it.

Second (tricky one) take a piece of steel wire and insert inside the hole of the collection box (where the drain pipe connects) and carefully remove any muck that is blocking. Alternatively use the same tube and use water to clean, ensure you have lot of cloth or other absorbing thingies to collect the water that may spill.

If you are not DIY type, take car to workshop and ask them to clean the pipe and passage, want a more thorough job, remove the whole unit and service.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th June 2008 at 19:06.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 19:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
First trace the AC drain pipe, its in the middle tunnel of the footwell, near the fire wall, remove the tube and insert another tube and pass water through it.

Second (tricky one) take a piece of steel wire and insert inside the hole of the collection box (where the drain pipe connects) and carefully remove any muck that is blocking. Alternatively use the same tube and use water to clean, ensure you have lot of cloth or other absorbing thingies to collect the water that may spill.

If you are not DIY type, take car to workshop and ask them to clean the pipe and passage, want a more thorough job, remove the whole unit and service.
Jaggu bhai i did exactly this and the guys at Ford used compressed air to clear that out. But the problem still persists.
The strange part is that this condensed water is only below the mats and not over it and the carpet is not totally wet. And the area around the mats are completely dry.

Will check the rear mats aswell and if they are wet like the ones in front then its probably a case of moisture/humidity/heat effect. As Delhi has been very very humid the past week and the combination of heat outside the car and hot underbody and the cool of the A/C environment inside the cabin might be causing the condensation as the mats(rubber) on top are cool and the carpet(cloth) underneath them is hot due to the underbody heat, causing moisture to condense between them and not adjoining areas as they are open. (Wow! School science theories are finally paying off! )

Last edited by abhik : 11th June 2008 at 19:27.
Old 11th June 2008, 19:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

My guess is that the water is flowing along the lines of the front inside body to the lowest part it i.e. the footresting place, therefore you cannot find the mat being wet from the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
The strange part is that this condensed water is only below the mats and not over it and the carpet is not totally wet. And the area around the mats are completely dry.
I doubt you will find them wet from below. Its not the moisture inside the cabin.

Quote:
Will check the rear mats aswell and if they are wet like the ones in front then its probably a case of moisture/humidity/heat effect. As Delhi has been very very humid the past week and the combination of heat outside the car and hot underbody and the cool of the A/C environment inside the cabin might be causing the condensation as the mats(rubber) on top are cool and the carpet(cloth) underneath them is hot due to the underbody heat, causing moisture to condense between them and not adjoining areas as they are open. (Wow! School science theories are finally paying off! )
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 19:49   #8
BHPian

i don't know whether this will help you but this is what happened to my ikon:

same syptoms - water on the front mat but only on the left side. apparently happened when i switched on the ac. i went to my local mechanic a few weeks ago because i had got coolant filled from him which was over within 1000kms! he noticed the "water" on the mat and immediately got suspicious. there's an engine coolant pipe which runs through the dashboard/firewall. it comes into play when you switch on the heater according to him (not sure whether i understood right). anyway he disconnected that pipe and connected the inlet of it directly to the outlet coming out of the firewall. he told me to check whether the leak persists and come back after some time. he also told me to not switch on the heater (AC is ok). it's been 3 weeks and the leak has stopped. the "water" was actually coolant leaking. the next step is to have him open up the firewall/dash and stop the leak.
silver_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 19:52   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
i don't know whether this will help you but this is what happened to my ikon:

same syptoms - water on the front mat but only on the left side. apparently happened when i switched on the ac. i went to my local mechanic a few weeks ago because i had got coolant filled from him which was over within 1000kms! he noticed the "water" on the mat and immediately got suspicious. there's an engine coolant pipe which runs through the dashboard/firewall. it comes into play when you switch on the heater according to him (not sure whether i understood right). anyway he disconnected that pipe and connected the inlet of it directly to the outlet coming out of the firewall. he told me to check whether the leak persists and come back after some time. he also told me to not switch on the heater (AC is ok). it's been 3 weeks and the leak has stopped. the "water" was actually coolant leaking. the next step is to have him open up the firewall/dash and stop the leak.
I am aware of this as one of my friends had the same problem in his Alto and so when i went to Ford i suggested the same and got this checked but this again was'nt the issue.
Old 11th June 2008, 19:58   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
My guess is that the water is flowing along the lines of the front inside body to the lowest part it i.e. the footresting place, therefore you cannot find the mat being wet from the top.
But then for the same reason i kept on checking this throughout my drive to office so that i could find out the origin of the culpritso that i could catch it red handed or wet handed(more appropriate for the situation). But nothing around the mats, no trickling water near the firewall or around the box behind the dash for the A/C, but the moisture beneath the mats kept growing from dry to fully wet when i reached office.
Another thing i remembered was that this moisture starts from the center spreading towards the outside. If water was to trickle from the center or behind the dash from that A/C box then i guess a part of the mat or carpet around it should be wet. And i was checking at an interval of 5 to 10mins due to the frequent stop-lights and traffics i was encountering.

@Guys keep in mind this is happening underneath both front mats.

Last edited by abhik : 11th June 2008 at 20:03.
Old 11th June 2008, 21:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thats what i am trying to say, it wont trickle for you to see, it will flow along the body in very small qty and then just wet the whole thing up. Probably the source is way inside the dash to be seen with naked eyes. But remove all the mats and then drive (or run the A/C stationary) to help detecting the source.

You should be able to see the water buildup since the mats won't soak it up and also the line of its flow.

Quote:
But then for the same reason i kept on checking this throughout my drive to office so that i could find out the origin of the culpritso that i could catch it red handed or wet handed(more appropriate for the situation). But nothing around the mats, no trickling water near the firewall or around the box behind the dash for the A/C, but the moisture beneath the mats kept growing from dry to fully wet when i reached office.
Another thing i remembered was that this moisture starts from the center spreading towards the outside. If water was to trickle from the center or behind the dash from that A/C box then i guess a part of the mat or carpet around it should be wet. And i was checking at an interval of 5 to 10mins due to the frequent stop-lights and traffics i was encountering.

@Guys keep in mind this is happening underneath both front mats.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 21:14   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Thats what i am trying to say, it wont trickle for you to see, it will flow along the body in very small qty and then just wet the whole thing up. Probably the source is way inside the dash to be seen with naked eyes. But remove all the mats and then drive (or run the A/C stationary) to help detecting the source.

You should be able to see the water buildup since the mats won't soak it up and also the line of its flow.
Ya i guess i'll try this, but the mats are rubber ones so they soak nothing.
But i'll give it a shot with removing the mats and try to detect where the water is coming from?
Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it!
Old 13th June 2008, 19:02   #13
BHPian

OK!
My guess was right. It was actually condensed water due to the hot floorboard and cool rubber mat.
And this is how i arrived to a conclusion.
Yesterday was again very very humid in Delhi.
*I checked and removed the mat which was dry at that point of time.
*Checked floor carpet and all areas around the ceter console and around that A/C box where my hands could reach and the vent pipe through which water goes out as well for leaks, but everything was dry.
To further check for water, on the passenger side i lay a dry cloth so i could detect where the water is seeping in from.
*Started off with A/C running all the time. Stopped at halfway to detect the water but nothing at all. Again reached all nooks and corners i could but everything was dry including the carpet and the cloth.
*Carried on till office and did the above process of find water but nothing. Every corner was dry.

Rubber being solid and non-porous cools quickly and retains moisture trapped between the mat and warm carpet which condenses when the mat cools.
The floor carpet is sort of a woolen texture which aids in retaining the moisture. And this occured as the weather was so humid.
This didnt happen wit the rear mats as they rear have another carpet in between them and the floor carpet and also is less cooler than the front because there are vents in the front for footwells aswell so the front mats cool quickly.

Today put the mats back in place and thought of checking the water inside the cabin.Today it rained in Delhi so it was cooler as well. And so even with the A/C on all the time till office, the condensation did'nt happen and mats were dry.

Last edited by abhik : 13th June 2008 at 19:05.
Old 13th June 2008, 22:32   #14
Team-BHP Support

Ok your mat might be lil wet also, when you get a sunny day, remove the rubber mat and leave the car to dry under hot sun with windows/doors open. These fabric mat has some nice damping (read as thick) parts also and takes good amount of heat to dry completely.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 22:49   #15
BHPian

Thanks Jaggu bhai, i thought so too so ill do that this weekend.