Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 28th June 2008, 19:51   #1
BHPian

Default Accent LPG trouble!

HI GUYS,
Need some help here.
Its been a frustrating month with my car. Its done 39500 km. Had installed a CLOSED LOOP LPG kit 14k kms back.
Was extremely happy with the performance so long. Good economy and excellent motor performance.
Car is giving a lot of trouble lately on LPG with idle speed fluctuations . Motor vibrated a lot on lpg but fell silent again on gasolene. My inectors are recently cleaned , ISA ACTUATOR , throttle body cleaned and serviced and also the vaporizer and stepper motor checked and is ok. The kit completely checked and rechecked and all ok. Car scanned and is perfectly healthy.
Then after trying everything we changed the plugs and the problem resolved partially.
Now after 3/4 days , similar symptoms.... only thing accompanied by a peculiar smell ( not gas leak or anything ) . This accompanied by modified motor sound and also some loss of power.... led me to check the silencer . No apparent damage but i suspect there is some leakage.
What is wish to know is whether the silencer / muffler leak can be mended ? and also if a leak would cause perceptible loss of power ?
And worst case scenario .... how much replacing the silencer cost me ?
Any enlightened one ... some guidance needed ASAP.
Regards....
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 00:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

IMHO If i were in your shoes the first place i would be taking my car to would be the LPG installer guy , and if he is incompetent to the Hyundai A.S.S as with matter of the motors its better to get the creators to correct
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 00:54   #3
Team-BHP Support

Moderator's note: Moving this to the appropriate section.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 11:27   #4
BHPian

Are you noticing Black smoke , did you open the new plugs after 200-300 KM to check the condition. Check the Lamda O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold.

Pretty likely that its an incomplete combustion- Idle speed errors will come about due to either mentioned above.

In terms of the smell, it is likely that there is a leak. Suggest you check the kit thoroughly with Soap and Foam.
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 20:47   #5
BHPian

Default Damaged Set Mufflers

hI guys,
Got both the mufflers checked and replaced with perfect mufflers , the smell and loss of power is gone just what i suspected.
Cost 6000 INR.
But got an original set straight from the manufacturer.
About the trouble with LPG kit , had replaced the spark plug set. It never occuRred to anybody that the atleast some of the batch were rotten .
So actually went to the extent of almost buying the ISA assuming that it was the culprit when evrything else all the sensors were working to their optimal capacity.
The service advisor at Phoenix hyundai one Mr. Tambe was most helpful and kept back the ISA i'd ordered. Otherwise rs 7000/- would've gone waste when the problem actually got solved when we replaced the new plugs...
Anyway i realize that a in a 5 yr old car some of the parts may be nearing end of the life cycle and may need to be replaced. Now whether some specific problems vis a vis higher carbon accumulation due to use of LPG is a question. THOUGH OPINIONS VARY , i personally suspect , retrofitting an old car would mean more expenses by more frequent air filter , plug changes, decarbonization 9 throttle body ) etc and maybe little more premature failures of parts like ISA resulting in a more direct impact on smooth functioning on LPG.
Old 26th July 2008, 19:48   #6
BHPian

Default Lpg reliability

Hi guys,
Need some advice. Even After replacing the ' replaced ' sprk plugs to NGK and changing the plug wires, I notice recurrence of an old problem. After the car has done about 300 or so on highway or u 've driven say 30 km in heavy traffic , i feel some amount of power loss. It just does not feel free and smooth any more. Another thing is there is some unburnt gas smell or say some unusual smell at such times.
Have checked and rechecked kit for leakage. It aint there. The MGP - CHAMPION plugs batch was definitely bad and they are gone too. Have also replaced with a damn good plug wire. Car is extremely well maintained. Car under scan does not show any aberration. Engine is extremely silent and smooth and has done 41 k only . I change oil every 5 k and even change plugs at 5k.
The kit dealer cant fig it out. He has also scanned the lambda and nothing is amiss .
I think there is some problem and i cant live peacefully till its diagnosed
Besides the thing occurs only when car is hot.
Can it be the catcon ? the LPg dealer suggested that we check the compression for leakage. I just do not feel there is any. the motor is just about as good as she was.
Its this damn LPG kit. it causes a number of components to deteriorate quicker that they would 've done on petrol.
The LPG dealers do not seem to agree and most problems that occur ' apparently occur on petrol '....
Shall appreciate if anybody sheds some light on this problem .
Old 28th July 2008, 21:11   #7
BHPian

I know of a guy who works on my accent too. He is pretty good at fixing LPG related troubles,(i also had a lot of problems with using LPG in my car, have visited many LPG service stations but none were able to solve the problem). HE has his workshop in Andheri West. PM me for his contact details.
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 23:23   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I know of a guy who works on my accent too. He is pretty good at fixing LPG related troubles,(i also had a lot of problems with using LPG in my car, have visited many LPG service stations but none were able to solve the problem). HE has his workshop in Andheri West. PM me for his contact details.
Hi RIPPER,
thanks for the early reply. But strangely car is running os well . Clocked 41550 km ( installed the kit at 26400 km ).
Now runnign on NGK plugs & new plug wire set.
Just got 11.88 kmpl on mumbai lonaval run and back ( i use old road , nice winding and smooth and i constantly do about 80 kmph ) In the city this time there was improvement to about 9.46kmpl )
Keeping a watch for some time , in case i get any problem this time , i would like to take second opinion... BTW is this Accurate fellow you referred to is an oldie named as Alluddin. I used to know one Accurate , they were once big time into Silencers , mufflers and the likes and also dealers of OMVL. Had workshop in Old nagardas rd. andheri ( e) . they sold me a lemon in 2000 on my NE.
lET ALONE SAVING ANYTHING , I ENDED UP SELLING THE ONCE MOST RELIABLE CAR FOR A SUM LESS THAN KIT COST..... hAD MOST HARROWING TIME .....
Had just about all problems possible and at one time the idiot actually removed my air filter and asked me to drive without it.......
i was one of the most ardent critic of the Lpg retrofitting due to my experience. Till i met this STARGAS guy , i would've never dreamt of going the lpg way again.
I used 2 diesel cars in the in between period. But the horribly sluggish naturally aspirated indica diesel put me off diesel and i bought an accent petrol and converted....
This time it was excellent till about 13000 km on the kit. Then couple of issues of muffler and faulty plugs problem later , its settled now a bit.
The little loss of power may be due to the o2 sensor/ lambda weakening i feel.... But i would take an independent expert's opinion this time.
I get paranoid when car underperforms even a little bit. I am over sensitive to little changes in the performance and tend to notice small changes of motor note , small hissing sounds . MAYBE I SHOULD Ignore th little things and appreciate the larger picture and run the black beauty to the ground. Maybe b then i would have efffected substantial savings over fuel bills after recovering the kit cost ....
Old 9th April 2009, 18:07   #9
BHPian

just two days ago had the unstable rpm issue on lpg and petrol. rpm was dropping to 500 on lpg which was causing the motor to vibrate. There was also a hissing sound in petrol and lpg

Just got the car back from my mechanic. He replaced the throttle actuator (Rs 4500/-) :( , cleaned throttle body, oil filter, injectors (4) replaced the fuel filter. Car working fine now

But since a long time i have never got a mileage of more that 7.8 on lpg. Do you think I should change the spark plugs ? maybe also the air filter?

Last edited by jasher26 : 9th April 2009 at 18:10.
jasher26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 19:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

I have used LPG in my Omni about a decade back - and personally felt performance deteriorate sharply after the first 10k kms. I was told at that time that these conversions are not exactly as reliable as its made out to be - as in it takes a toll on the engine. I quickly sold off the van . I was lucky because both the van , and LPG Kits, were in demand then!
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 23:27   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasher26 View Post
j

But since a long time i have never got a mileage of more that 7.8 on lpg. Do you think I should change the spark plugs ? maybe also the air filter?
Are you using lambda in your kit ? your kit will need frequent adjustments if lambda is not being used . Also it is a good practice to replace air filter and spark plugs with preferably good quality ngk plugs with the gap reset to .8 mm and the spark plug leads also as these parts come under greater stress when using LPG
ask77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2009, 18:39   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask77 View Post
Are you using lambda in your kit ? your kit will need frequent adjustments if lambda is not being used . Also it is a good practice to replace air filter and spark plugs with preferably good quality ngk plugs with the gap reset to .8 mm and the spark plug leads also as these parts come under greater stress when using LPG
no its not a lambda kit. I will replace the air filter and spark plugs. dont know how to explain it but the car feels sluggish when accelerated
jasher26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 21:48   #13
BHPian

Hi Jasher,

i have started changing the plug wires every 10000k and spark plugs every 7500 km. The retrofitter says the wires need not be changed but my experience says otherwise. current required for LPG combustion has to be optimal. In my opinion there is a drop in power and fe every 6500/7500 km after which the plug change is required. My FE has actually increased lately. 30 k km behind it , the kit performance has not deterioratetd at all. So it makes sense to buy a better kit from a better fitter than try to save money upfront while retrofitting.
Your coil may have weakened , please try and have that looked into. Whether you use NGK / champion , the plugs weaken after that interval. Indication is a reddish / pink tinge to the white ceramic ring around the electrode. Do not scrub / clean it , simply change it. @ 240 rs a set , plug changes at 7500 km is an expense you can easily afford. If the plugs are wearing out prematurely , then further investigations are advised.
today refilled at cadell auto , shivaji park . LPG @26.73 /LIT.
FE UPDATE : MUMBAI CITY RIDE FULL AC 8.92 KMPL

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 13th April 2009 at 21:50.
Old 13th April 2009, 23:20   #14
BHPian

Hi Highnoon,
Do you service your vaporizer or other parts of your kit ? if yes then at what interval ? Also what type of plug wires do you use ? the oem one or some other what is the cost of the wires for Accent
ask77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 20:51   #15
BHPian

Hi,
Had the vaporizer serviced once when the car had given trouble about 12000km back. The fault was with a faulty plug ( from a new batch of plugs ). Have not serviced the kit as the fitter says its not required though i have covered 26 k km on the kit. Have got throttle body cleaned twice , plugs replaced thrice and plug wires twice during this interval. The OE one for Kia costs in excess of 1500 rs.
I bought the other korean oe for Rs.375/ from Bhatt motors ( ditto huyndai pack ) , Opera House. These are ok.other types are also available for Rs.750 odd. Had used these earlier.
Change plug wires brother .
IMO does make difference to the kit performance , power & FE .
I intend to run the car for another 9k and then treat the car to a full 60k service.
following ....
1) LPG kit full service. Including change of diaphragm in the vaporizer.
2) Plugs, wire change
3) throttle body , ISA servicing
3) transaxle oil change
4) engine oil , filter change
5) change all the belts including timing one ( 60000 km in 6 yrs under not so ideal driving conditions :( )
6) check and clean catcon
7) full body denting & polish
8) radiator flush and fresh coolant
9) fuel filter change including fuel tank cleaning
10) engine flush
11) alignment & balancing
12) tightening all bolts and joints
13) all door setting , including winder service . greasing etc.
14) interior shampoo
12) brake servicing , brake oil change.
13) complete elctricals checking & headlamp bulbs with more power & the new cutout!
then godwilling another 40 k to the century !

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 16th April 2009 at 20:54.