Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th July 2008, 16:25   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default AC Woes, and strange sounds

First the sound part.
When I switch on the AC(not just the blower, but the AC), a sssssss sound comes from somewhere in the dashboard.
Since this sound has started coming, the cooling is much less, and if the car is not moving there is no cooling.
However car is not overheating as AC does not cutout, the engine rpm remains at AC level high, and even the compressor seems to be working(got it checked), but cooling is bad.
On driving the cooling comes back, but its much lower than before.
I also got the "water wash" done for the condenser area to get rid of stuck debris etc., but no help.
The Condenser fan is working fine, and a preliminary inspection did not reveal anything, as the compressor is working.
So any tips?
Whats the ssss sound. I have heard this in many cars, and also found cooling to be less in such cars.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 16:35   #2
Team-BHP Support

Huh! I was thinking of asking you of an AC related problem in my car and lo! You also seem to be having one.

Do you think the cool air leaking out of the plumbings before it reaches the open vents? That SSSS sound could be because of that. Once the car picks up speed it is possible that some kind of a thrust is generated which causes more air to move out of the vents than through the leakage.

Sounds possible?
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 16:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Probably low gas. get the gas checked. but i cant relate that to the ssss sound. that is the sound from the cooling coil.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 16:40   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

It seems your Indica knows that you are getting another vehicle & she being jealous & thats why she has stopped acting nice
Quote:
So any tips?
Yeah Wait for the truck

Coming back to topic, I agree with Zappo I feel some routing of pipes(which carry air) has got disturbed, so get that line checked, the SSS sound could be due to some leakage in the pipes.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 17:08   #5
Team-BHP Support

Could be gas leaking sound. Check for a leak. Cooling will be less for a few days, then no cooling if leak is small.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 17:12   #6
Team-BHP Support

If gas was leaking(the sound is many days old now), the cooling should have stopped by now.
Moreover it gets worse in hot weather and when car is parked there is no cooling.
Old 4th July 2008, 17:20   #7
Team-BHP Support

Its low gas level, sss sound is basically the refrigerant moving inside the system. Your AC system requires a top up and also do check for any leaks while at this.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 18:21   #8
Team-BHP Support

So this AC completely switching off means that gas level is low?
Old 4th July 2008, 18:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

tanveer, i think we both are in the same boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
First the sound part.
When I switch on the AC(not just the blower, but the AC), a sssssss sound comes from somewhere in the dashboard.
Since this sound has started coming, the cooling is much less, and if the car is not moving there is no cooling.
However car is not overheating as AC does not cutout, the engine rpm remains at AC level high, and even the compressor seems to be working(got it checked), but cooling is bad.
On driving the cooling comes back, but its much lower than before.
I also got the "water wash" done for the condenser area to get rid of stuck debris etc., but no help.
The Condenser fan is working fine, and a preliminary inspection did not reveal anything, as the compressor is working.
So any tips?
Whats the ssss sound. I have heard this in many cars, and also found cooling to be less in such cars.
And ours is also one such cars!! :(. Ours is a 2003 Indica V2 DLS.
We had this problem from first service onwards and continues till date. The TASS could never understand what I was talking because it never came infront of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Its low gas level, sss sound is basically the refrigerant moving inside the system. Your AC system requires a top up and also do check for any leaks while at this.
that sssss sound is a bit harsh in our case as if some particle is stuck in a blower or hitting some particle is hitting fan blades inside a container. Its something like - krrrssssshkkk.
Currently our car has done 85,000KM with the problem continue to exist. We had to change the condenser fan around 40,000km. I am not sure whether that sound is the culprit behind this.
Quote:
If gas was leaking(the sound is many days old now), the cooling should have stopped by now.
Moreover it gets worse in hot weather and when car is parked there is no cooling.
Same with our car!!!!

I dont think its AC gas leakage, as we are having this issue from last 5 years, by now the AC should be empty!!!!

TASS could not help nor any other mechanic as the sound doesn't show up when taken to them.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 18:55   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes if the AC gas pressure is very low, the compressor will cut off. Just a minor drop will make it inefficient BUT will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
that sssss sound is a bit harsh in our case as if some particle is stuck in a blower or hitting some particle is hitting fan blades inside a container. Its something like - krrrssssshkkk.
This can be a foreign particle (leaf, twig or something else which has fallen inside the fan unit). Or it can be a faulty AC fan motor/bearing, or the fan blade unit touching the case (usually these are cylindrical thingies with blades in them).
Old 4th July 2008, 18:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not think so. Is it possible that your Indica has become quieter now that you can actually hear the cooling coil. I have a brand new AC system in my car & i get this sound many times.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 19:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

I used to hear the hissing sound whenever the a/c compressor kicked in.

Since the last few weeks, when the a/c is switched on, there is a groaning sound. Got to get the car checked for this and for few other minor issues, but i'm strapped for time.

I use the a/c at full speed in the day time and at minimum position at late evening on my way back from work. Whatever the a/c level, the groaning sound is audible. Any idea what the issue could be? The cooling is good though.

Last edited by n_aditya : 4th July 2008 at 19:07. Reason: more info added.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 19:25   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I do not think so. Is it possible that your Indica has become quieter now that you can actually hear the cooling coil. I have a brand new AC system in my car & i get this sound many times.
As i said sss sound is NOT low gas sign, its refrigerant moving inside the plumbing = Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Since the last few weeks, when the a/c is switched on, there is a groaning sound. Got to get the car checked for this and for few other minor issues, but i'm strapped for time.

I use the a/c at full speed in the day time and at minimum position at late evening on my way back from work. Whatever the a/c level, the groaning sound is audible. Any idea what the issue could be? The cooling is good though.
This sounds more like a bearing issue or a something stuck inside the blower unit issue.

Trust me somehow tissue paper managed to get lodged inside our Crv's blower and it sounded like sitting near a wind turbine. Good thing is its very easy to remove the unit in Crv, we were surprised to see whole lot of tissue paper that had managed to make a very beautiful shape inside the safety of blower unit.
Old 4th July 2008, 19:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

How about a weak AC belt ?Idle pe slipping and hence compressor rotating at very slow speeds to cool the compartment where as while moving with a little high engine rpm its rotating slowly but enough to pass on cool air to the compartment?
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 20:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
How about a weak AC belt ?Idle pe slipping and hence compressor rotating at very slow speeds to cool the compartment where as while moving with a little high engine rpm its rotating slowly but enough to pass on cool air to the compartment?
that woould make the belt squeal
Jr Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote