Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 5th July 2008, 07:46   #1

Default Increasing the ground clearance of my Bolero?

I want to increase the ground clearance (want to make it higher) of my Mahindra Bolero please advice how to do so ?

Last edited by GTO : 5th July 2008 at 17:06. Reason: Removing FONT tags. Please do not copy text from other word softwares.
A.P.S.Grewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 15:57   #2
BHPian

Well the only way I see it is by Changing the suspension. Try a safari or scorpio (if it's not the same one). Or any other which would increase the hight to your desired level.

Edit:
And there is a deformatting on the above left hand side corner with the bold button. Please use in the future so [font][/] all this doesn't come in your post.

Last edited by CR-V : 5th July 2008 at 15:59.
CR-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 16:47   #3
BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-V View Post
Well the only way I see it is by Changing the suspension. Try a safari or scorpio (if it's not the same one). Or any other which would increase the hight to your desired level.
Edit:

Sorry buddy, that won't work. It will only increase the floor board level from the ground and not the ground clearance. Ground clearance mentioned in the brochures is the minimum distance between the ground and any part of the vehicle that is closest to the ground. In most rear wheel driven vehicles it is the transfer case that the biggest and the closest to ground.

The only way I see it is by incresing the Tyre Dia and wheel size, but this could seriously hamper the performance your vehicle.

So long....
varunroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 17:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.P.S.Grewal View Post
I want to increase the ground clearance (want to make it higher) of my Mahindra Bolero please advice how to do so ?
The simplest way to do so is to use larger tyres and/or rims. But there are other, more sophisticated ways of doing it too.

Check this web link. Read the portion on LIFT KITS.
Car Bibles : The Car Suspension Bible page 1 of 2
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 16:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

better to check with accomplished and knowledgeable 4WD / Jeep people on team BHP like ex670c, 4x4 addict, samurai etc.
my own thought was it might make a difference if one were to add a couple of more leaf springs in the rear, which will raise the rear a bit. But then if yours is a normal 2WD Bolero with coil springs in front Im not sure how the raising of the front will be handled. But Im not an expert and I would recommend you check with the gentlemen mentioned above, they will give you some good advice on this I believe. also check this website 4x4 Off Roads !
theyve got some phenomenal material
cheers

Last edited by shankar.balan : 7th July 2008 at 16:35.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 16:50   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Question is : why would you want to do it ?

These UV's already have a high CG, and can be unstable unless used correctly. You will end up raising the CF further, and that will affect your handling.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 18:19   #7
BHPian

Quote:
In order to make a recommendation, you need to state why you want to make the vehicle higher.

What is the specific problem/issue that you are facing?

Are you scraping the underside? If so where?

What size tire do you run currently?

Do you want to do this for cosmetic reasons?

A pic or two of your Bolero would also help.

Thanks,
RedMM340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 20:05   #8

Default Pic

Uploaded the Pic to my Profile, Please see
Old 8th July 2008, 21:54   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

@APS, that's a nice Bolero.

But still not able to figure out anything !!
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 13:43   #10

The under Chassi guard had scratched once or twice when off roading nothing major, but a major problem is because or the tire size the tiers touch the skirting when driving on a very un-even and bumpy off road please advice, Cant cange the wheels now what ? Help
Old 9th July 2008, 13:46   #11

Default Thanks

The under Chassi guard had scratched once or twice when off roading nothing major, but a major problem is because or the tire size the tiers touch the skirting when driving on a very un-even and bumpy off road please advice, Cant cange the wheels now what ? Help
Old 9th July 2008, 21:03   #12
BHPian

Quote:

If the chassis guard scraping is minor and does not cause any damage, you do not have to increase ground clearance or increase tire size.

If you think that scraping may do some serious damage to your vehicle mechanicals such as radiator, oil pan, etc., then you will have to go to a larger diameter tire. Keep in mind that a Jeep can do some severe underbody scraping with only cosmetic damage or rubbing.

Your major issue is really tire rubbing on the body. There are two solutions:

1. Take the vehicle to a denter and ask him to bend the sheet metal or grind so that there is no rubbing. This would be the easiest option.

2. Lift the body relative to the chassis. The vehicle body sits on several rubber pads that are about 1 inch thick. You can have larger pads fabricated and will need longer bolts. A 1 inch body lift should do the trick.

A slight modification to the fan shroud and gear shifter may also be needed.

Regards,
RedMM340 is offline   Reply With Quote