Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 5th July 2008, 08:34   #1
BHPian

Thumbs up KPL Testing Kit

KPL Testing Kit

I have seen in many threads on the forum and elsewhere, which says “full tank” method is the only available way of testing your cars kilometer per liter (Kpl). I went to a hyundai workshop and complained about low fuel economy, the workshop guy first made me sit for half an hour and then told me “we would have to go the petrol pump and fill the diesel tank full”, I disagreed and told him that this car needed some repairs and would be soon going to the workshop and I wouldn’t like a tank full when it’s there.
I asked him if he had a Kpl testing kit, he said he never heard of it. That’s when it struck me that what I thought was very common and known is not.

Tank full method is you fill up your fuel to tank to the maximum limit, zero or trip meter and run your car and after that back to station fill up to the max again. The fuel now to put in is the fuel consumed.

So Now I am going to tell you what Kpl testing kit is. Its simply a bottle with a scale which shows the exact amount of liquid in it, say a five liter bottle. This has a outlet and connected to a pipe. The pipe in the car which runs to the tank is disconnected and connected to this bottle. The bottle is filled up to the mark with either diesel or petrol, Kilometers noted (or zero your tachometer) and run the car. After your run see the bottle again to check how much fuel is left and what amount was consumed. You have your Kpl for your car and I believe a more accurate one.
CR-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 08:54   #2
BANNED

Just idling or can it be driven on road, with bottle hanging?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-V View Post
The pipe in the car which runs to the tank is disconnected and connected to this bottle. The bottle is filled up to the mark with either diesel or petrol, Kilometers noted (or zero your tachometer) and run the car. After your run see the bottle again to check how much fuel is left and what amount was consumed. You have your Kpl for your car and I believe a more accurate one.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 09:13   #3
BHPian

A special bracket comes (not hifi or anything, but of the size of the bottle) which easily get fixed on the car and you keep the bottle in it. And drive the car on road.
Old 5th July 2008, 09:20   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

This can be done only with external help. Tank-Tank tests give more realistic day to day results.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 09:40   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
This can be done only with external help. Tank-Tank tests give more realistic day to day results.
But doesn't this seem more acurate?

And shouldn't atleast the workshop guys have it.

Or they would simply say no. If you don't want to fill up your tank then we can't do the test.

Last edited by CR-V : 5th July 2008 at 09:42.
Old 5th July 2008, 10:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

In some cars the fuel pump is part of the tank and pumps into the line, you cannot apply this method to it.

Also why shouldnt we use easier and more practical methods like the Scan Gauge (Scan Gauge) than a bottle etc.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 10:15   #7
BHPian

I am not sure what a scan guage is, saw a post which went like

In the Gauge Screen I have selected these 4 to be shown:
Top L: RPM (Revolutions/Minute)
Top R: TPS (Throttle-Position-Setting)
Bottom L: LHK (Litres/100Km)
Bottom R: MAP (Manifold-Absolute-Pressure)

Well RPM is shown in most of the cars no?
And even Litres/100km or mileage probably is also shown in many cars.
like my CR-V and octavia.

And Octavia has 9 other on-board computers which I am not so sure what they show.

Any way this is just another way for Kpl testing. Though if you say the fuel pump is a part of the tank in some cars and this ain't practical there. Well isn't there is a way around this? Can't we in any way connect the pipe to the fuel pump in any way?
Old 5th July 2008, 10:16   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
In some cars the fuel pump is part of the tank and pumps into the line, you cannot apply this method to it.

Also why shouldnt we use easier and more practical methods like the Scan Gauge (Scan Gauge) than a bottle etc.

Hi,

This method is possible in MPFI cars/cars with intank pumps. What is done is first disconnect the fuel pump connector and then connect a external high pressure fuel pump. Thereafter the procedure as told by CRV is followed only diff is generally a 1 ltr bottle is used. I have had this procedure carried out in my older cars(Carb Esteem, Getz & Santro)

All tests were carried out by the Authorized Service Centers.

Viper

Last edited by viper : 5th July 2008 at 10:18.
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 10:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Dont get me wrong, I understand that this is another method of testing and getting an accurate FE figure.

But what I was trying to say is that how practical will it be for end-users to perform this setup just to get to know the FE and how many of us will actually be willing to do this on our own.

Browse the Scangauge website, it has much more features including ECU error code detection etc.
Old 5th July 2008, 10:24   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, I understand that this is another method of testing and getting an accurate FE figure.

But what I was trying to say is that how practical will it be for end-users to perform this setup just to get to know the FE and how many of us will actually be willing to do this on our own.

Browse the Scangauge website, it has much more features including ECU error code detection etc.
Hi,

This is the most common and practible solution which does not cost anything as such(read as peanuts) compared to buying a scanguage.

Also this is the only accepted method used to settle any disputes/complaints of low/poor FE by a manufacturer/service centre. They will not accept the reading of the scan guage or any other device.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 10:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

I should have clarified, I was talking about end-users. For service centre's and FE complaints this sounds good enough as the A.S.S will have to perform the tasks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

This is the most common and practible solution which does not cost anything as such(read as peanuts) compared to buying a scanguage.

Also this is the only accepted method used to settle any disputes/complaints of low/poor FE by a manufacturer/service centre. They will not accept the reading of the scan guage or any other device.

Viper
Old 5th July 2008, 10:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

the bottle technique is used by almost all garages, even the road side mechanic who repairs bikes. i think its the most easy and almost accurate way to calculate FE.

what i find commonly is the inverted saline or some bottle on which graduations are marked upto 1 litre or so. by disconnecting the fuel tank the bottle is connected to the carburetor and the bike is driven at average speeds.

i have tried this many times using 100 ml petrol. for every 100 ml of fuel my bike runs 6 km. this i do 3-4 times. that means for 1000ml/ 1litre the bike gives an average of say 60 kms. in daily commuting this appears to be perfectly matched with full tank method where the bike gives exactly 59-60 kmpl.

this can be very well applied to the car also.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 15:47   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I should have clarified, I was talking about end-users. For service centre's and FE complaints this sounds good enough as the A.S.S will have to perform the tasks.
I think you missed this paragraph in my first post

I went to a hyundai workshop and complained about low fuel economy, the workshop guy first made me sit for half an hour and then told me “we would have to go the petrol pump and fill the diesel tank full”, I disagreed and told him that this car needed some repairs and would be soon going to the workshop and I wouldn’t like a tank full when it’s there.
I asked him if he had a Kpl testing kit, he said he never heard of it. That’s when it struck me that what I thought was very common and known is not.

Last edited by CR-V : 5th July 2008 at 15:53.
Old 5th July 2008, 15:52   #14
BHPian

When I was told by the hyundai person that full tank method is the only they can check the mileage, I was shocked.
I have never went to a workshop with a mileage complaint and assumed all workshop had such a kit. (well army workshops does), but not finding it at the hyundai workshop was very strange. Plus the guy telling me he has never even heard of any such thing.

And if what amit say is true, then hyundai workshop (if not all specifically this one- sreeshanth hyundai) is really backward.

Last edited by CR-V : 5th July 2008 at 15:53.
Old 6th July 2008, 20:52   #15
BHPian

Think its a great piece of information, I think there was a device I saw in my last trip to Muscat-It was digital and was displaying the consumption readings...I doubt how many shops do infact such a thing but off track- It would look like a car on IV Drip- If you drive that around...!

Last edited by wolfinstein : 6th July 2008 at 20:59.
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote