Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th January 2009, 00:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

My car was dripping water last week,since winters here in north india,there is no question for AC.
on closer inspection i found out that water was leaking from the joint of windshield washer can where motor is attached.required 2-3 minutes to fix it.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:16   #17
BHPian

Default Fiat Palio Stile 1.6 - Oil drip

Hi guys,

I must confess that I treated my car rather harshly on saturday by driving with full AC in the afternoon heat and going over a rather high road hump at a high speed. I came home and parked the car and the next morning found that there was some kinda oil drip that had happened. It wasn't much, pretty spreadout and also it had stopped.I immediately started the car again and checked to see if something was dripping but it wasn't so. I later stooped to see if there was any dripping and found that the area about a feet away from the right front wheel was mildly covered with oil. It seemed like a joint on the wheel and I have no idea what the part is. Also, there was no colour or odour to the oil. What could this be ? I plan to take it to concorde motors and what the are the things I need to check for this problem ? Any help would be most appreciated.
rganeshiyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:34   #18
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Oil filter could have cracked or broken. This would be the first area to be checked.

I'm not too sure about the wheel joint part though!
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:11   #19
BHPian

Looks like you busted the driveshaft - the driveshaft boot contains a kind of grease (not oil).

Are you sure it was an oil leak and not grease. Stop driving the car and have it looked at. You might get away with just replacing the boot or you might have to replace the driveshaft completely.
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 18:05   #20
BHPian

Not sure if I have damaged it so badly. Can rough riding unsettle something near the engine / wheel shaft ? As I mentioned it seems to have stopped now completely. I am sure it has nothing to do with AC as the liquid did not evaporate and looks oily. However, it was colourless and odourless.
Old 3rd November 2009, 01:21   #21
BHPian

hope you've checked, power steering, brake & clutch fluid outlets??
Also the radiator leak possibilities.
johnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 01:34   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rganeshiyer View Post
Not sure if I have damaged it so badly. Can rough riding unsettle something near the engine / wheel shaft ? As I mentioned it seems to have stopped now completely. I am sure it has nothing to do with AC as the liquid did not evaporate and looks oily. However, it was colourless and odourless.
The "leak" wouldn't have stopped if it was oil that was leaking. The driveshaft boot contains a small amount of grease (which could be all gone by now).

Please have the driveshaft boot checked. Also read - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ntainance.html
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 12:48   #23
BHPian

Thanks mate ! I had a hard look this morning and found the culprit. It is something like a piston with a big clamp beside the engine on the right side of the bonnet. Not sure if it is the brake/clutch. The piston rod has fresh oil all over it and infact that had dripped on to the wheels and the ground beneath. I will call up fiat today and check for the issue.
Old 7th November 2009, 20:45   #24
BHPian

Hmmn....i guess our observations get exaggerated without logic sometimes. I saw a small puddle of oily liquid and immediately linked it to my rash driving. The FIAT guy took exactly 30 secs to diagnose the problem and told me it's just the water from the AC drainage that had leaked. It was slightly slimy though but he laughed it off by saying it is quite normal and that I shouldn't be concerned if it happens again. So much for my hysteria !