Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th July 2008, 22:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

@rks, Even I am unsure of this habit by previous owner.

But I just checked changing gears with the engine on. Shifting from 1st to 4th was Butter. But from 4th to 5th wasn't ready to get engaged. Tried a few times before I succeeded.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 22:59   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Well, if engine is off I would not recommend such extended gear shifting because there will be no lubrication. It is OK to practise a couple of times, though, preferably with engine on.
No need to have the engine running for this test. The gear shift linkage has no pressurized lubrication that needs a running engine.

If it is a simple linkage sticking or binding issue, you will be able to hear and feel the shifting better with the engine off.
RedMM340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 23:09   #18
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
No need to have the engine running for this test. The gear shift linkage has no pressurized lubrication that needs a running engine.

If it is a simple linkage sticking or binding issue, you will be able to hear and feel the shifting better with the engine off.
I was only objectiing to extended shifting with engine off. My Santro manual does state that after starting the car, the engine should be on for 10-20 secs before shifting to gear. I did notice that the gear shifts smoothly when engine is on, so I assumed that lubrication is the primary reason for that requirement.

Anyway, I did some googling and found the following website:

How to Drive a Stick Shift - Mahalo

Quote:
Generally, you shouldn't shift gears with the car turned off, as it can strain the transmission. However, you can make an exception when you're just getting the feel of it.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 11:22   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

In all probability, it is a problem with your gear locking mechanism or the syncho. Shouldn't be too expensive to repair, but the gearbox will have to be opened.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 13:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

One bad habit that can cause damage to the gear selector mechanism (as per my Santro manual) is that of resting your left hand on the gear lever while steering with the right.
Wow. I did not know this one is a bad habit. What kind of damage do you think this can cause? I am asking because I have this habit.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 15:38   #21
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
What kind of damage do you think this can cause? I am asking because I have this habit.
I know only what my Santro manual states:

Quote:
CAUTION:

To avoid damage to selector mechanism, do not use the gear shift lever as a hand rest. Release the lever immediately after the shift is completed.
Do not coast with the shift lever at the neutral positoin.
I am wondering why one should not coast in neutral if engine is on? Anyway I don't have this habit either.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 16:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In all probability, it is a problem with your gear locking mechanism or the syncho. Shouldn't be too expensive to repair, but the gearbox will have to be opened.
Enquired with the Fiat Service centre. In case the Gear Box needs to be opened, then the total Exp would come to 10K & will take 7 days to repair. The 10k would not hurt but I am not ready to leave the car with the showroom for 7 days. I have heard of instances where original parts are swapped and would not like to risk.
Wondering what could be the cost of a new Gear Box for Palio. This does not take more than couple of hours to fit and the labor comes to <1000. Anyone has any info about this?

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 8th July 2008 at 16:38. Reason: Addition
Old 8th July 2008, 16:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

why dont you take the car out on the highway and see if the 5th gear slips once you touch 120+? just make sure that the road is clear. this is the easiest check you can do.

@ vinit - you need to check your garage as well - the specs need a dekho.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 8th July 2008 at 16:47.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 17:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

@ Planet_Rocker: The Torque is 137.3Nm @ 4250, not the BHP. I checked your Garage and you have mentioned the same Specs

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 8th July 2008 at 17:04.
Old 8th July 2008, 17:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
@ Planet_Rocker: The Torque is 137.3Nm @ 4250, not the BHP. I checked your Garage and you have mentioned the same Specs
i guess i was seeing something different - may be my eyes needs a check up.

planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 18:12   #26
BHPian

Don't intend to frighten you Vinit, but I had same problem in my Diesel NE (138D) long back in 1993. The car was brand-new then and the gears used to slip to neutral. Did not look into it, since I sold the car within 1-2 week....got to hear from the new buyer after 3-4 months that he had to open the gear-box to rectify the issue.

moreover, you seem to be frm Pune. pls contact turbosam (sameer)..he can help you more on this
zakaaaaasss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 11:50   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
The 10k would not hurt but I am not ready to leave the car with the showroom for 7 days. I have heard of instances where original parts are swapped and would not like to risk.
Why don't you get the repairs at a competent trustworthy independent garage in Pune? Surely, there is a long list of them. Pune BHPians could probably refer you to someone.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 14:51   #28
Senior - BHPian

I have noticed same 5th gear slip to neutral in my Petrol Innova at least 4 or 5 times. It all started after I recruited new driver couple of months back. In uphill/downhill he drives with top gears (5th or 4th) many times unless its harpin curve (such turns 3rd gear). I advise him to be in 4th or 3rd based on type of road and curve instead of 5th.

I usually make sure my drivers handle the vehicles well but as everyone knows many are always careless. They shift to 2nd gear from 5th gear, I saw few make it neutral then shift to some gears of their choice (I fired few of such repeated mistakes), they don't change gears when required especially downshift, every one do upshift perfpect but downshift sequence is not good unless time to time I give them lesson.

What I have observed is 5th gear slip always happened when there is small to medium curve and speed like 70+

Probable reasons:

1. Driver didn't engage 5th gear properly.
2. Vehicle should be driven in 4th gear instead of 5th gear at the time when gear slip happened. Because even in small curve with uphill or downhill one should not be in 5th gear which would hurt FE and damage the vehicle.
3. Because wrong sequence of gear changes there might be problem in gear parts.
4. There might be problem with gear mechanism/synchro even if vehicle is driven neat/carefully.

Best way is check with service centre. TBHP members can help with their experiences and can give reference. So I guess some one would help you.

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 18:53   #29
BHPian

get the gear foundation checked.

Last edited by sanket12 : 12th July 2008 at 18:55.
sanket12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 00:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One bad habit that can cause damage to the gear selector mechanism (as per my Santro manual) is that of resting your left hand on the gear lever while steering with the right. I have seen many people do this, especially cabbies. I wonder if the previous ower of your car had this habit.
Wow - i want to know more on this - this is my usual driving style!!!
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote