Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 13th July 2008, 03:26   #31
rks
BANNED

@ph03nix and @deepakhon, I do not know precisely what damage would occur to the gear selector mechanism if you rest your hand on the gear lever, as stated in my Santro manual. Could not find much information by googling either. A website does state that the synchromesh might get damaged due to this habit. But don't worry, it is never too late to change your bad habits and so far you probably have gotten away with it.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 16:24   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Why don't you get the repairs at a competent trustworthy independent garage in Pune? Surely, there is a long list of them. Pune BHPians could probably refer you to someone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanket12 View Post
get the gear foundation checked.
Had been to the FIAT showroom on recomendation from a fellow BHPian last Saturnday.
The problem has been fixed and I tried at 120 but no slip.
The syncromesh had some issue and they fixed is. Luckily, as mentioned to me, for the 5th gear, there is no need to dig in deep.
But the experience at the service station was pathetic.
They made jobcard and before knowing what the problem is, I was asked to leave the vehicle and collect on Monday. Not possible.
I had a word with with the technician about the issue with the car (Manager seemed to be too busy to have a word with any of the issues. Attitude!). I asked them to let me know the issue and the estimate in case it will take too long to fix it.
They opened the gearbox (behind the front left wheel, if this is the gearbox) and adjusted to synch. I was beside my car was repeatedly asked to sit down. It took them an hour to fix it. Then I was asked to test drive it again. I sat in the driving seat and amazingly, the Petrol guage was down drastically from the level at which it was submitted.
Asked them whether they used any petrol for cleaning. No. Then why is the level dropped? Saab, Itna hi tha pehle se. Hmmm. I could not do anything here. Atleast 6-8 litre petrol was missing. Forget it.

Worst part comes here. While taking the test drive 'Saab, agar aur koi hota to kam se kam 6-7k ka bill banata. Itna nahi hua hai.' Wants tip huh.
This was repeated 3 times. I finally got bugged and handed him Rs.50. Not enough. Wants Rs.100 as tip.
Phew. I paid the bill, which came to Rs. 650 and left as soon as possible.

Would not like to name the place on this forum.

Shall not take the car the same place again, unless something major needs attended to. Heard that the manager there has good knowledge of the car. Even in this case, shall not leave the car alone there.

End result, the issue of gear slip resolved brings smile at the End Of Day. Rest all needs to be pushed to the back of the mind till the next time I need to visit the service station. Will help me take precautionary measures.

Cheers!
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 16:57   #33
Senior - BHPian

Good to see its fixed!

All the best

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 19:57   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Would not like to name the place on this forum.

Shall not take the car the same place again, unless something major needs attended to. Heard that the manager there has good knowledge of the car. Even in this case, shall not leave the car alone there.
Cheers!
It would be better if you let all our folks here know about this showroom - we surely do not want somebody's car being if we can avoid it!
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 20:22   #35
Senior - BHPian

I believe there would be Petrol stolen in most of the service centres unless we are very carefull. It also depends on the integrity of the staff there.
It is better not to mention any names.
Old 14th July 2008, 20:27   #36
BHPian

They opened the gearbox changed syncros and mounted back all in 1 hour?
rohan_fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 20:42   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
They opened the gearbox changed syncros and mounted back all in 1 hour?
Yes.
I was told that there wont be a need to dig in too deep for 5th gear. The removed the front left tyre and opened the Box behind it (I assume this to be the gear box). They did some adjustment and all was done in a hour (including the stolen Petrol .
Old 14th July 2008, 20:42   #38
BHPian

Default Fiat A.S.S in Pune

Try Pandit Auto on Tilak road for any future issues.There is a service advisor named Anirudh.He's a good guy for any issues.
alstonvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 18:07   #39
BHPian

Angry

Quote:
Enquired with the Fiat Service centre. In case the Gear Box needs to be opened, then the total Exp would come to 10K & will take 7 days to repair. The 10k would not hurt but I am not ready to leave the car with the showroom for 7 days. I have heard of instances where original parts are swapped and would not like to risk.
Wondering what could be the cost of a new Gear Box for Palio. This does not take more than couple of hours to fit and the labor comes to <1000. Anyone has any info about this?
I have a gear slip issue with my 4.5 year old Swift Vxi (52K done). When cruising at speeds between 120-130 on expressways, the gear slips back to neutral. This started 6 months back, but as it was a single occurence, I ignored it. Last week, on my way to Goa it happened 6 times in a duration of 45 minutes. I have noticed that this happens only on smooth highways, especially when the car is doing 120-130 kmph. It never happened on speeds above 130. I touched 170 once during the trip, but had no gear slip issue. Also, to note, MASS changed my gearbox bearings once when I complained about a noise when the clutch was engaged. Noise seemed to disappear once the bearings were changed. I also changed the clutch then (38K). However, this issue started few months after the bearing change. For the past one year, I have done countless Mysore- Bangalore-Mysore weekend trips wherein speeds were above 110- 120 Kmph (5th gear) most of the times. Would this weekly high-revving, attribute to a gear slip at high speeds? Did anyone face a similar issue with Swift? Please share your views, so that I can have a fair understanding about this issue before visiting MASS. I don't want them to take me for a ride.

Thanks

Last edited by vinu99@gmail.co : 28th December 2009 at 18:20. Reason: Forgot to mention about Clutch change
vinu99@gmail.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 10:10   #40
Team-BHP Support

You have to get the gearbox opened and checked. No, gears should not slip to neutral at high speeds, its dangerous also. Seems like a improper assembly leading to wear and tear of the box.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 12:28   #41
BHPian

Default Which MASS outlet do you recommend (in Bangalore)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
You have to get the gearbox opened and checked. No, gears should not slip to neutral at high speeds, its dangerous also. Seems like a improper assembly leading to wear and tear of the box.
Thanks for the reply Jaggu. Any suggestions about the MASS outlet I can visit for a honest job. I have had bad experiences from BIMAL multiple times, right from stealing strobes, fuel, replacing power window motors with defective ones, denting the running board, gifting me scratches and above all, some spots of paint when their body shop was getting a paint job. After all this, they tried to patronize me to give a positive feedback for some survey, JD power survey I guess. They sent in showroom personnels twice to my house and called me multiple times on my celphone to get the feedback form filled with positive wordings.
vinu99@gmail.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 12:22   #42
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 5th Gear Slip at speeds higher than 120 - Palio 1.6 Gtx

My car has developed this problem - 5th gear refuses to engage at times and even if it does - it slips back to neutral at speeds 60-80kph (rpm 2000-3000+) and has exactly the following problem - the car is now at the workshop.

Quote:
Shifting from 1st to 4th was Butter. But from 4th to 5th wasn't ready to get engaged. Tried a few times before I succeeded.
Vinit - if you come online, what exactly was done - do you recall?

Thanks.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 17:04   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
My car has developed this problem - 5th gear refuses to engage at times and even if it does - it slips back to neutral at speeds 60-80kph (rpm 2000-3000+) and has exactly the following problem - the car is now at the workshop.

Vinit - if you come online, what exactly was done - do you recall?

Thanks.
@ Planet Rocket, I dont recall exactly what was done, but one thing for sure, nothing was replaced / nothing new used to rectify it, Only some adjustment after opening the Gear box.

Got it done from Pune, only after insisting that a particular techincal expert there takes a look, as I had heard good things about him.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 8th August 2011 at 17:06. Reason: to remove names
Old 7th November 2011, 22:12   #44

I am a newbie on this forum and drive a 2004 Baleno VXi. I got this about 5 months back, got it converted to CNG and the experience has been quite pleasant overall.

yesterday I faced the same problem on the expressway (driving from Mumbai to Pune) where the fifth gear "popped" to neutral on the normal 10 degree climbs in the ghat section, it was as if the car was telling me this is not the right gear to be on!! However the gear remained engaged for sometime when I held it in place with the shift, but could feel the pressure of the gear trying to jump back to neutral and hence later did not use the 5th gear till my return trip to Mumbai.

on my return trip I again tried to slot into 5th (in straight down slopes, where there should be not much stress on the gear) but the same thing recurred. there is only a slight squeaqy noise (which I had to turn down the audio volume to zero to hear) no rattles or "thak" sounds that you hear when gear teeth clash.

will keep you posted on the details when I take it to my mechanic tomorrow, a few issues that I think (or rather hope!) could be the sync ring, low gear box oil level or the gear spring having lost some tension; doesnt sound like a bad bearing (which am told will cause all gears to slip if stressed).

Other baleno owners: please let me know if you have faced similar issues. Thanks
satya08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 12:55   #45

I had gone to the mechanic today - it is a case of bad bearings. It seems that the bearing tolerance has increased, leading to "play" between the gear transmission and drive shafts, which was causing the slipping. he advised me not to drive as that can lead to gear teeth damage, so I have left it there and asked him to change the bearings.

A friend (who has been driving for quite some time) suggested going in for a used gearbox, pulled from a totalled baleno (or a new one if budget permits) rather than repairs, as one repair would lead to another and then another according to him. Experts, your comments on this?
satya08 is offline   Reply With Quote