Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th July 2014, 22:00   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Check Engine Light

Please check the EGRS valve. Does the exhaust smell very bad?
srinih75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 21:52   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinih75 View Post
Please check the EGRS valve. Does the exhaust smell very bad?
Thanks Srinih75, okay will get that checked, though the Bosch service guy has said I'll have to take it to Skoda workshop to replace the failed intake manifold flap motor, he can't source the part, currently this flap is permanently open.
And about the exhaust smelling bad part, I didn't understand, what should I particularly look out for.
I have taken the car out from the Bosch garage and since my other cars are in for polishing and accident repair, I am clocking kms in the Fabia, I have done about 400 kms in daily errands, haven't taken it yet to Skoda workshop as I am awaiting pay day, but am apprehensive whether further driving could impair the catcon system or something due to the failed manifold.
s_pphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2014, 22:09   #138
BHPian

If the valve is open then your exhaust will smell like partially burnt diesel. The power loss happens when on an incline and if you run on idle rpm it will recover after thick smoke. Its what happened to my car. You can experience this smell in your garage itself.
srinih75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2014, 11:56   #139
BHPian

Exclamation Engine malfunction light in qjt vista

Hi.
I have a 11 month old quadrant vista (75 ps Bs4.). It has 17550 on the odo and is driven with lot of care and is well maintained. I have extended warranty and Amc of 3 years for 40000km. I have been opting to change oil at 5000km instead of 10000km and air filter too is cleaned, and replaced more often than manufacturer recommended interval.
Now day before yesterday at about 80kmph and accelerating from a signal on Palm beach road, I felt a slight tug, a bit of loss in power and engine malfunction light came on.
I pulled over by roadside , swatched off the engine. Checked the oil which was a bit thin for my liking and hardly any lubricity left ( Selena 0w-40 fully .synthetic) . But the level was ok. Started back the light gone, continued on my way to Lonavala , vehicle drove normally although a bit course ( maybe I was imagining it,...). After my work got over drove back along the old national highway instead of expressway fearing another recurrence of light and being left stranded on the highway). At this time there was no malfunction light.
I did most of the drive back without any mishap and again at a long stretch of open road at about 80kmph, bang comes the light.
Again stopped by roadside, shut off the motor, on starting back light had gone off.
Next day took the car to Fortune dealer workshop at Nerul. As usual after wasting close to five hours, the only thing which was clear was that diagnostic relvealed an error P0234-01.
They could nt fix it after wasting my precious time. So I removed the vehicle from the worshop.
Today car is at an authorized workshop Manu motors, which despite of being small has a brilliant and dedicated technical advisor Mr. Hemant Patil who is working on it. Hopefully it ought to be fixed sometime today.
My question to everybody is what is the significance of this error code? Is it a map sensor error ?
Isn't it too early to get errors of this nature?
Can somebody help shed some light on this?
Thanks
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2014, 15:01   #140
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Engine malfunction light in qjt vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Hi.

My question to everybody is what is the significance of this error code? Is it a map sensor error ?
Isn't it too early to get errors of this nature?
Can somebody help shed some light on this?
Thanks
Dear Highnoon

It is never too early or late for a sensor to develop some kind of error.

Pls. note that the sensor is a electronic chip that connects a lot of interconnected sensors/ECU.

Refer to MAP sensor here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAP_sensor

Now, something as trivial as dust/water/tar etc car result in the sensor in mal functioning.

So dont worry and trust the ASC to have it resolved.
You car is under warranty so it should be a FOC process.
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2014, 15:13   #141
Senior - BHPian

Does the car smoke quite a bit? Any loss of power or FE?

If yes, then there is a leak in the turbocharger plumbing. The MAF sensor error also would come up, happened to me in my Punto.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2014, 18:02   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Does the car smoke quite a bit? Any loss of power or FE?

If yes, then there is a leak in the turbocharger plumbing. The MAF sensor error also would come up, happened to me in my Punto.
I have said it so often on this forum, it's just about etched in my screen. On a car with OBD check the codes first. Here we actually have a code given to us and we are still going to offer advise without checking the code?

Anyway, checking OBD codes is very easy. You just Google ODC code p0234.

Chances are you will end up on the below page

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0234

This is a so called Turbochareg/Superchager Overboost Condition

Quote:
The symptoms displayed for a P0234 code will depend on the cause of the overboost condition: The service engine soon or check engine light will illuminate. You will experience a loss of power. The engine may show signs of overheating. The transmission may show signs of overheating and harsh shifting. Additional codes associated with the condition set by P0234 may be present to help identify the cause. Codes are available for all electrical components utilized by the engine management computer for the control of boost levels. The engine may display signs of pre-ignition in the form of knocking. The engine may display ignition misfiring.
You will find the symptoms as well as the most potential causes and diagnostic steps and possible solutions listed. It would be useful to check if he uses the same list of potential causes and is working his way down to fix this.

Jeroen

Last edited by DerAlte : 2nd November 2014 at 19:55. Reason: Fixed quotes
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2014, 14:39   #143
BHPian

Thanks @jeroen.
I did search the code but could find it.
Anyway car was neither smoking
Nor overheating when this occured. It would occur Usually at about 80kmph at about 2500 rpm.
I did get my vehicle back yest. They did turbo and egr cleaning . nvh seems a bit high but otherwise car behaving normally, turbo boost is smooth and its not triggering the code on accelerating in excess of 80.
So far so good. Had a longish highway run , pushed the car to 100 kkmph. Predictable performance.
Thanks again.
Old 8th November 2014, 14:24   #144
BHPian

Earlier about a month back I had check engine light in my xylo free. Was also getting oil light.Oil was perfectly ok(1500km only). Changed the oil filter just to rule out any clogging. Then got the oil switch replaced just to rule out.
The engine light would come and go with no particular pattern and absolutely no performance loss unlike in my vista.
Mahindra guys are such idiots that they instead of scanning would try to rev the engine at high rpm, check the fuses and so on including a very fast and long trial.
Finally said all is well and next time light cones I shall have to leave the car at workshop for further t and e at my expense.
I got the car scanned at a private garage in kurla. Which indicated unusually high charging levels. He said get the alternator serviced. Which was overcharging and was basically driving the ecm crazy.
On taking the vehicle to Lucas authorized service station in turbhe is was confirmed. The repair was coming to 5800/_. I chose to plonk a new alternator at 9500/_.
Problem solved. ...
Luckily I had taken a roadtrip to Amritsar in may, car never once gave any troube
This reaffirms my belief that most authorized service station s do not have experienced and importantly willing staff.

I also realized that authorized service stations are illequipped or inexperienced to deal with
Old 8th November 2014, 14:45   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post

This reaffirms my belief that most authorized service station s do not have experienced and importantly willing staff.

I also realized that authorized service stations are illequipped or inexperienced to deal with
It is just basic commonsense to scan the ECU using an OBD reader to find out what the car is trying to tell and warn rather than changing pays unnecessarily at the cost of the customer.

These guys @ ASC want life easy and do not want to work / use their mind to solve a problem. Silly ways to get the ECU reset is discontent the battery for 10-15 minutes and reconnect, if nothing happens then they'll stay using their brain as it them understand that the problem is serious.

Till the car is under warranty, better to stick to the ASC, post which there would many FNG's who do a better job for the regular servicing and troubleshooting.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 10:03   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It is just basic commonsense to scan the ECU using an OBD reader to find out what the car is trying to tell and warn rather than changing pays unnecessarily at the cost of the customer.

These guys @ ASC want life easy and do not want to work / use their mind to solve a problem. Silly ways to get the ECU reset is discontent the battery for 10-15 minutes and reconnect, if nothing happens then they'll stay using their brain as it them understand that the problem is serious.

Till the car is under warranty, better to stick to the ASC, post which there would many FNG's who do a better job for the regular servicing and troubleshooting.

Anurag.

I agree whole heartedly and said so countless times. If you are experiencing problems with a modern car hook it up to an OBD analyser before doing anything. preferably a manufacturer specific OBD analyser. If your mechanic doesnt believe in that or doesnt even own a generic reader give him a miss and find somebody who does. It will save you time and money.

ECUs dont necessarily reset completely when disconnected, it varies from model to model what does and what doesn't. But if your car develops some problems on the road so to speak, it might be worthwhile just to see what happens and it might get you going again.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 22:41   #147

Default Swift Desire VDI Engine Check light

Hello Team,

Today i saw a engine check light so i scanned the vehicle and got the error code as

P1190 Power-train: Engine Vacuum Leak.

Guys please suggest what will be the problem the car is Swift Desire VDI.
shriadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 11:14   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Swift Desire VDI Engine Check light

Were you experiencing any abnormality in the way the engine behaves, like rough or high idling, etc? Vacuum leaks are best detected at engine idling.

If there is a real vacuum leak, then look for symptoms like high idle speed, rough idle or engine stall if let to idle. According to online sources, an EGR valve that is stuck open at idle can have the same effect as a vacuum leak. So too can the wrong PCV valve (one that flows too much air for the application), or a loose PCV hose. The rough idle in these cases is caused by "lean misfire."

Source: http://www.aa1car.com/library/vacleak.htm

Check these points and let us know.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2015, 20:19   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Saket pointed out some very good advice and the link he provided has a wealth of information. Vacuum leaks can be a real bugger to trouble shoot. Here is how I would go about it.

Take a very close look at all components. Starting from air intake. Look in particular for any sign of perished rubbers. Tighten all bolts, all clips etc.

Start your engine and let it idle. Now grab hold of the various components, e.g. Air intake, air filter, air mass flow meter etc and really try and shake them about. If your hear a change in engine idle RPM you are likely getting close to the culprit at hand!

Good luck
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 20:00   #150
BHPian

Bumping into an old thread.

Need some expert advice on how to resolve the Engine Check Light and also looking for some senior escalation contacts at MSIL.

One of my colleagues Swift Vxi (2013 Model, 10,000 odd kilometres), is lying with Sai Service (Hinjewadi, Pune) for last 22 days, pending resolution for Engine Check Indicator "On".

MASS which is Sai Service in this case seems to be out of ideas on how to fix this one.

First diagnosis was for a faulty ECM, which was ordered from Gurgaon and replaced in 15 odd days but to no avail.

The issue was then raised to some regional MASS expert, who has been conducting some investigation, today they said itís some sort of bearing issue. Upon questioning MASS guys were themselves unable to explain this further. However they insited that this time the issue would be fixed and the part will need to be ordered from Gurgaon, which means at least a week more with no guarantee that the issue will be resolved.

The matter has already been escalated to senior most level at Sai Service and they have ensured that they are giving it their best shot, but the customer needs to be patient.

My colleague has also dropped couple of emails to the customer service desk email (mentioned on the MSIL website), no response to a single mail till now. There is no other escalation matrix which has been listed on the website for addressing customer issues.

Does someone have senior contacts at MSIL, who can help in the resolution or at least get the required attention to resolve this.

Since the car is under warranty and already with MASS guys, my colleague is not really looking to get it inspected outside.

Last edited by somitra1981 : 6th May 2015 at 20:02. Reason: Added Text
somitra1981 is online now   Reply With Quote