Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th July 2008, 13:02   #31
Senior - BHPian

The fuel companies provide Diesel at the same lubricity levels i.e. 460 microns max, Lubricity corrected wear scar diameter (WSD 1.4) at 60oC. This is irrespective of the sulphur content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
IMO, the E-III fuel has lower sulphur content.
And lowering the sulphur content reduces the lubricity of fuel.

Last edited by dadu : 17th July 2008 at 13:04.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 13:05   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
The fuel companies provide Diesel at the same lubricity levels i.e. 460 microns max, Lubricity corrected wear scar diameter (WSD 1.4) at 60oC.

The sulphur content has nothing to do with it.
Then is this achieved with the use of additives ?

Diesel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the above article, under" Environmental Hazards " it is mentioned that lowering the sulphur content reduces the lubricity of diesel fuel.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 13:08   #33
Senior - BHPian

I am not aware of how they do it, in the refinery or by adding something but it is provided in the regular grade diesel.

Quote:

In the above article, under" Environmental Hazards " it is mentioned that lowering the sulphur content reduces the lubricity of diesel fuel.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 13:12   #34
BHPian

Use of high Sulfur diesel shouldn't affect the engine (as advised by Tata service adviser), but we should be wary of adulterated diesel (rampant use of Kerosene to dilute diesel)
wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 13:13   #35
BHPian

Quote:

Yes.
"Sulfur is not a in of itself, but it can combine with the content in many metal alloys to form a low melting point alloy that can increase lubricity. The process used to reduce the Sulfur also reduces the fuel's lubricating properties. Lubricity is a measure of the fuel's ability to lubricate and protect the various parts of the engine's fuel injection system from wear. The processing required to reduce sulfur to 15 ppm also removes naturally-occurring lubricity agents in diesel fuel. To manage this change ASTM International (formerly the American Society for Testing and Materials) adopted the lubricity specification defined in ASTM D975 for all diesel fuels and this standard went into effect January 12005[/COLOR]."
Ultra-low sulfur diesel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
sridharps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 13:15   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a question. What about all those innovas and volvos running all over the country?

They seem to be running just fine. There are more than enough innovas with 2L+ km that are sipping at all kinda fuel pumps!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 13:32   #37
Senior - BHPian

After having read all this I have only one question. Do oil companies really make different grades of diesel? Euro 2, 3, 4.? I think they only make one type and sell it everywhere.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 14:41   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
After having read all this I have only one question. Do oil companies really make different grades of diesel?
"India uses 0.03 percent sulphur diesel in some states and will implement tighter standards in the rest of the country using the 0.05 percent grade from 2010". Read the complete article here at India's diesel imports scaling new highs in 2007-08 | Business News | Reuters
sridharps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 16:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

I learn something everyday. Thanks for the article link.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote