Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th July 2008, 16:53   #16
Team-BHP Support

Murphyji tussi great ho.

Akash, please an update.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 17:18   #17
BHPian

Thanx for the replies guys, Just came back from meeting. But alas! I coudnt open it & had to redo a makeshift arrangement for my presentation (with just 5 slides instead of 24) as I didnt had the relevant data.

I was awake whole night yesterday working on the pres. I thought pen drives are always dependable!

Moral of the story: Always mail a copy of your important work files to yourself to be on a safer side!

All said & done, back to square one. How do i open it now? No screw driver, scale, lubrication etc seem to help!
akash_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 17:21   #18
Team-BHP Support

Now you Go to MASS.

and rightly said.
I keep an online backup of my work on an almost daily basis.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 17:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Feel sorry for you akash. Hope this is not a serious set back. I have always made a copy & then sent it to my other emails for insurance. I have done this religiously for the last 10 years even before pen drives & CD writers. Better luck next time.

Be careful with that glove box as it is an integral part of your dash. Any visible damages can be a sorry sight. You will need to replace the entire dash for that.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2010, 03:23   #20
BHPian

"Bump"

I am facing a similar problem. The lever is moving freely, unable to open the glove box in my Swift VDI. Fortunately, just a CD case and copies of vehicle documents inside. Akash, how did you take care of the issue with your Swift VXI????

Can only the Glove box be replaced if I break open the lock or the entire dash needs to be replaced? Please help!!!!!!!
dreamdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2015, 14:58   #21
BHPian

Default Re: Swift Vxi- Need Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
"Bump"
I am facing a similar problem. The lever is moving freely, unable to open the glove box in my Swift VDI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
All said & done, back to square one. How do i open it now? No screw driver, scale, lubrication etc seem to help!
I faced a similar problem with the glove box in my A-Star. The lid wouldn't open and it seemed like there was a disconnect between the latch lever and latch mechanism.
Fortunately I have removed the glove box altogether multiple times to fit/replace the cabin air filter and was familiar with the innards. I was able to yank the glove box out from one side.

What was the issue?
1. There is a tiny plastic protrusion attached to the latch lever which moves the latch mechanism down while opening the glove box. The protrusion is not attached to the latch mechanism, instead it sits in a groove in the mechanism.
2. This plastic protrusion had popped out of the groove. This happens when the latch lever is in the extreme close position i.e inner most position, away from the passenger seat. Once out of the groove, the latch mechanism has to be manually moved downwards to establish contact again.
3. The popping will not happen under normal circumstances. I found a small plastic bit near the latch spring had broken which allowed the latch lever to move more into the close position that it would normally move.

I fixed it as a DIY. I glued a tiny piece of wood below the latch lever so that it stops the lever from moving to the fully closed position and stops the plastic protrusion from popping out of the latch mechanism groove.

Latch mechanism :
Name:  marutiastargloveboxopen.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  48.5 KB

Name:  marutiastarpassengersview.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  55.2 KB
Above images from : http://www.carsbell.com/cars/maruti/...-star/pictures

Swift Vxi- Need Help-one.jpg

Name:  two.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  46.5 KB

Hope this helps

PS : This is what happens when a Bangalore Bandh is up and running. People break glove boxes and spend the rest of the day fixing it and later trying new software just to crate diagrams!

Last edited by rajathv8 : 26th September 2015 at 15:00.
rajathv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2015, 23:16   #22
BHPian

I bought the glove box latch from MGA for Rs.68. Glove box is back to normal now.
They had a box full of latches for other Maruti cars as well.
Old 13th November 2015, 17:14   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
I faced a similar problem with the glove box in my A-Star. The lid wouldn't open and it seemed like there was a disconnect between the latch lever and latch mechanism.
Fortunately I have removed the glove box altogether multiple times to fit/replace the cabin air filter and was familiar with the innards. I was able to yank the glove box out from one side.
Is there a cabin air filter present in A-Star? I tried once locating it by removing the glove box but couldn't find any. Not even any space where you can place the filter. If possible, can you please describe the exact location or a picture would be of great help.
grevvity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2015, 23:56   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevvity View Post
Is there a cabin air filter present in A-Star? .
Please see here (HVAC dust filter missing in your car too?).