Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th June 2010, 16:41   #61
Senior - BHPian

Question any updates ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Update: Going again to my friends factory for some work tomorrow. Will try and get some more interesting (albeit painful) pictures tomorrow..
BUMP : any updates/pics, AbhiJ ? any 4X4 t-cases ?
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 16:45   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
BUMP : any updates/pics, AbhiJ ? any 4X4 t-cases ?

For which car do you want a T case ?
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 12:27   #63
Senior - BHPian

Guys, have no idea if he is still importing the engines ...

For whatever engine / crankcases that were in the pics, I am pretty sure they have been remelted and are manhole covers now..
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 08:32   #64
BHPian

Wow I was just stuck with awe seeing those photos. I am sure there might be lots of unavailable and hard to find spare parts in there. Ya We might be walking next time over a Honda manhole. Wonder if it is the same case with bikes.
Chipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 13:41   #65
BHPian

A little offtopic
India and neighbouring countries are dumping grounds for such waste products, they are picked up dirt cheap.
Just recently medical waste was dumped in some southern port and it was in the papers.
iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 15:06   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
A little offtopic
India and neighbouring countries are dumping grounds for such waste products, they are picked up dirt cheap.
Just recently medical waste was dumped in some southern port and it was in the papers.
Another way to look at it...

India is doing its part for the environment. Recycling old engines is a win win situation for everyone...
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 16:11   #67
Senior - BHPian

would be interesting to know what they do to the torque-convertors of the automatic transmissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
...Just recently medical waste was dumped in some southern port and it was in the papers.
Please dont compare dumping medical waste to used engines...I mean, it is not an apple-to-apple comparison. I dont mind the used engines coming here, it is the medical waste and nuclear-related waste ( nuclear-powered ships to be dismantled etc.) which is a strict no-no.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 07:07   #68
BHPian

That is true blue thunder medical and nuclear waste is a different point alltogether. There wont be any harmful byproducts in car parts. By the way what is medical waste.

Heard that some mangled remains of the twin tower was brought to chennai as scrap.
Chipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 18:55   #69
BHPian

Engines? As the post has the name. Yesterday I took time out to visit CST road from my way back from airport, what a sight ! From a full fledged running car, they bring the entire machine to ground in hours. I believe there are some spares of every car which never seem to be available. The area is not worth trying the luck, but for hardcore auto restorers, its haven. I saw a number of car engines, of all segments of all ages in varied conditions. The most astonishing part was when a guy explained, the engine assembly he had were full and untouched, instantly workable. When I inquired, he said its a direct bolt on. He said he could give an Indica turbo engine gear assembly with ecu for 18k and the time taken to interchange was hardly 2 hours. He said its completely bolt on and can fix all parameters in a short while. I even saw swift and accent engines with complete assembly. There are some shops selling chinese, korean and taiwanese tyres for as less as 1k per tyre. They say we stock full car bodies with doors, and dasboards. I observed how a golden colour palio stile owner came with a dented rear hatch door and they changed the entire door in minutes for 1200. Scrapyard market may not be for those who can afford everything but for those who may be more towards practicability.
dr.faramroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 19:01   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.faramroze View Post
I observed how a golden colour palio stile owner came with a dented rear hatch door and they changed the entire door in minutes for 1200. Scrapyard market may not be for those who can afford everything but for those who may be more towards practicability.
Damn!
The A.S.S guys charged on the north side of Rs 7000 to do a denting and painting job on my i10 hatch door!
Long live the junkyard. Guess its time for us to visit this place AbhiJ mentioned in our own city.

Last edited by blackasta : 7th September 2010 at 19:02.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 19:21   #71
BHPian

Default Re: Engine Graveyard - Where old engines go to die..

Can we try getting a scrapped Daewoo Cielo and plonk a V8 into it and try running it on rally mode? Some fancy for this car of yesterday and how I wish there was money enough to visit these places to build a POCKET ROCKET in the guise of a friendly family car.....
JEHU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 11:28   #72
BHPian

Default Re: Engine Graveyard - Where old engines go to die..

Abhi, can you please tell us whether your friend is still in this business, if so contact details please....
tantragna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 12:21   #73
BHPian

Talking Re: Engine Graveyard - Where old engines go to die..

Hi Guys,

We have a place like this in Chennai named pudupet where we get scrapped engine parts for cheap price. Last week when i went there to get a distributor for Matiz, one guy inquired about Ford Diesel engine to plonk it in their petrol Variant and they quoted 15K for the full kit .
sreerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 12:47   #74
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Question Re: Engine Graveyard - Where old engines go to die..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerama View Post
We have a place like this in Chennai named pudupet where we get scrapped engine parts for cheap price.
Last week when i went there to get a distributor for Matiz, one guy inquired about Ford Diesel engine to plonk it in their petrol Variant and they quoted 15 K for the full kit.
Hi, was the enquiry regarding a Ford Tdci Diesel engine ?

Requesting you to kindly provide a Google-Maps link ( approximate location should do ) to this shop.

Incidentally, won't a M-800's distributor fit the Matiz since the engine block ( & I think most of the head too ) is the same.
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 15:46   #75
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Engine Graveyard - Where old engines go to die..

I have not tried checking M800 ones. I did ask about M800 engine and they said it wont match. The 15K engine was for Ikon. They also said one 3 cylinder diesel engine will be available for around 8K which will fit in Matiz, i did not show much interest on it. Anyway it would be a old engine and parts availability will be in question.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/LI...13.0642827!1m0

Last edited by sreerama : 7th October 2015 at 16:06. Reason: Additional Info
sreerama is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote