Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 28th July 2008, 14:01   #1
BHPian

Default Steps to take before cranking (car lying idle for a year)

Hi All,

As I prepare to visit my parents who are returning from the US to Kolkata after a year or so. I realised that in my garage in Kol, lay my old war horse, a 2001 Zen Vxi (MPFI) about which I had totally forgotten.

Now, I plan to bring it alongwith me to Blore this time and yeah! I am planning to drive it from KOL

My question to all the gurus on the forum is:-

As this car has not been cranked for more than a year, what all steps should I take so that I dont wreck the engine. I had disconnected the battery mains before coming, so one thing that I know is! To get the battery recharged.

What else! please advice!

Cheers
Shrey
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 14:09   #2
Team-BHP Support

Easiest way: Approach a Maruti Service Station, tell them about the situation and get them to your home.
They will for sure check everything out and will take very reasonable rates (assuming that you don't tell them that you have just landed from US in american accent :-) ).
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 14:17   #3
BHPian

Nice one! Still! what are the precautionary steps that one should take, assuming there is no way out other than driving the car to the service station.

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Easiest way: Approach a Maruti Service Station, tell them about the situation and get them to your home.
They will for sure check everything out and will take very reasonable rates (assuming that you don't tell them that you have just landed from US in american accent :-) ).
Old 28th July 2008, 14:36   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now, I plan to bring it alongwith me to Blore this time and yeah! I am planning to drive it from KOL
Try to reach Kolkata early to spend some quality time with your old warhorse. Few steps I suggest here. More than these you’ll get from all auto gurus.

1. If your car is standing normally on tyres then there is a chance of getting dead patches on tyres.

2. Get your car serviced. Clean fuel line. Tell service station to clean injectors and all fuel related parts.

3. Check electrical lines. Any brittle or rat bitten wire.

There could be more as you go along. Lastly, drive down safe.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 14:45   #5
Team-BHP Support

Since you disconnected battery, the recharge issue won't be there.
If you find rats, don't crank the engine, get it towed to the service station. Don't take the risk of cranking as rats are the worst pests your car can get
Apart from that, inside you will find fungal deposits, get them removed.

With no pest infestation here are the steps.
Manually push the car up and down for the suspensions benefit.
roll the car back a little, check for flat spots. Your car won't have much air left. So remove all old air, and refil air.
Connect battery, and crank. If she cranks good, if she does not, jump start using a good battery.
Let her idle for 2-3 minutes with blower on(no AC), then switch on AC and see if you smell anything foul. If the smell is bad, cooling coil has fungus, so dashboard has to be opened.
After idling for 15 minutes drive around a bit, and take her to the service center for "all fluids" change.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 14:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT:

@ Shrey - where in Kolkata do you stay? if you are not able to get it checked at MASS, then please try to get in touch with Alok da & / his son, Suman (Shazid) of Alok Automobiles, Maruti Bagan off EM Bypass. Alok da used to work with Mr. Niaz Ali and his son is doing a great job as well. Most of the Kolkata TBHP gang will rate him No# 1.

Alok Atumobiles is a Hyundai A.S.S but they do work on Hondas, FIATs, Suzukis, etc unofficially. Alok da / Suman (Shazid) is associated with Bengal Motor Sports Club - so they know their work.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 28th July 2008 at 14:49.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 14:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Last but not the least, you shall get more tips from our more learned bretheren, open the plugs and pump in with an oil can some clean fresh engine oil since the innards would be bone dry and you wouldn't want to crank a very very dry piston.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 15:01   #8
BHPian

In additon to what everyone else has already mentioned: -

1) Check all fluids - oil, water etc. before you crank the engine.
2) Petrol has a shelf life. Since your car has been standing stationary for this long, I would recomend draining out all the fuel and refilling with fresh petrol.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 15:04   #9
BHPian

Thanks @planet and task! will keep all of this in mind.

But what would you say about the following

1.condition of the engine oil (Magnatec is what I always filled)
2.Gearbox oil

Also, I had changed all 5 tyres last year before leaving, would overflating them and running them for a while help! if they have had flat spots!

OT:
@planet: I am planning to come a bit early and if viable will try and get my vtec to kol. Lets have some drags with the skoda's the baleno's n all! what say!

I have been longing to meet enthusiats like yourself and other Tbhp members. I guess this time it will be.

I used to stay near Kalamandir but shifted to New Alipore. I know the owner of Autokraft (Parnasree,Behala) so will have him do all the stuff that you guys have suggested.

I am confirmed that keeping in mind the Kolkata weather (hot and humid) the a/c will have fungus. I can only keep my fingers crossed for rats!! When in Shakespeare Sarani I would have been sure that there would have been no rats but here! I hope they haven't had a look at my car.

Cheers,
Shrey

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 28th July 2008 at 15:06.