Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2014, 21:27   #106
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 86
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Airconditioning in the Gypsy

Why don't you guys try Mayapuri for a second hand compressor? I got one for my OHC 2003 recently. Instead of the 14k quoted by the authorised sanden retailer, I got one for 2k instead and it works perfectly! The compressor is the same make and model as the OEM OHC - Sanden.
sibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2014, 21:53   #107
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default Re: Airconditioning in the Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by benkoch View Post
.... Delphi 14/18 condenser ....
A lot depends on where the condenser is mounted!
Poor placement compromises the entire system.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 13:22   #108
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Airconditioning in the Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
A lot depends on where the condenser is mounted!
Poor placement compromises the entire system.
Hey! do you happen to have photos of a condenser mounted on the roof? Just curious to know what is looks like.
benkoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 14:28   #109
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default Re: Airconditioning in the Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by benkoch View Post
Hey! do you happen to have photos of a condenser mounted on the roof? Just curious to know what is looks like.
Sorry, I don't have a photo, but the condenser is mounted at an angle of about 20 to 30 to the raked front roof of the hard top. An electric fan is fitted also, to supply air in stand still conditions. While moving there considerable ram air effect.
The liquid and the gas pipes emerge from the engine bay near the firewall and travel up along the A pillar to the condenser. Quite neat except that the condenser sitting on top does take a bit away from the overall looks of the car.
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2014, 09:29   #110
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Airconditioning in the Gypsy

The AC mechanic at Wecool claims that the Super King blower will replace the stock blower and will fit behind the dashboard and NOT stick out from the dashboard taking leg space? Is this true? I would be worried if the blower's position were to cause discomfort to the driver or the front seat passenger?
benkoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 14:36   #111
BHPian
 
COUGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 538
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Airconditioning in the Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by benkoch View Post
The AC mechanic at Wecool claims that the Super King blower will replace the stock blower and will fit behind the dashboard and NOT stick out from the dashboard taking leg space? Is this true? I would be worried if the blower's position were to cause discomfort to the driver or the front seat passenger?
It wont take away any of the leg space.

However a part of the tray under the glovebox will have to be cut out or removed entirely. Part of the Glovebox may be sawed off too.
COUGAR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 22:04   #112
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default Re: Airconditioning in the Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by benkoch View Post
The AC mechanic at Wecool claims that the Super King blower will replace the stock blower and will fit behind the dashboard and NOT stick out from the dashboard taking leg space? Is this true? ...
I'm afraid it is not!
The Super King blower is large and will intrude just a bit into the passenger space. Nothing that I would consider as a deal breaker. In any case the Gypsy is not a vehicle you buy if you assign top priority to passenger comfort! It's a different kind of person that opts for the Gypsy!
The more important point is how will the stock radiator ever cope?!

Last edited by anupmathur : 30th June 2014 at 22:06.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2014, 16:35   #113
Senior - BHPian
 
Desmosedici's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,378
Thanked: 407 Times
Default Re: Airconditioning in the Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I'm afraid it is not!
The Super King blower is large and will intrude just a bit into the passenger space. Nothing that I would consider as a deal breaker. In any case the Gypsy is not a vehicle you buy if you assign top priority to passenger comfort! It's a different kind of person that opts for the Gypsy!
The more important point is how will the stock radiator ever cope?!
Stock radiator should be enough. I am running a stock radiator with a fan ahead of the condenser (the usual setup). The fan alone can also be activated via a switch without the AC running when in stop go traffic. My temp needle goes slightly beyond the 50 mark maybe till 55 - 60, thats it.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2014, 20:58   #114
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Talking Re: Airconditioning in the Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
It wont take away any of the leg space.

However a part of the tray under the glovebox will have to be cut out or removed entirely. Part of the Glovebox may be sawed off too.
Thanks for pointing this out. The size of the blower did make me wonder how it was going to easily fit under the dashboard. The mechanic didn't mention this, but will check with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
In any case the Gypsy is not a vehicle you buy if you assign top priority to passenger comfort! It's a different kind of person that opts for the Gypsy!
Totally agree with the point on comfort! But when you did buy a new Gypsy as your first car and when this is going to be your only car for a few more years, I think I ought to make it a little more comfortable, especially for those few special people (person rather)!!


One other question, has anyone had issues with the blower ever loosening from its position when you have had driven over bumpy roads for a while?
benkoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 11:40   #115
BHPian
 
COUGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 538
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Airconditioning in the Gypsy

Those of you who have fitted the SuperKing blowers, did the installer use the standard vent/tubing?

My install done 4 years back and the installer removed the tubing and used bellow type pipes to the standard vents.

Any problems for those using standard tubing?

on another note, any way to activate the side-defroster vents which are currently covered with a lid? I saw this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-SAMUR...6dbea5&vxp=mtr


The windshield defroster vents are missing on the GYpsy though i do see the bolts. The ducting for that avail on ebay for ~$20!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-SAMUR...b496f5&vxp=mtr
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 15:09   #116
Senior - BHPian
 
Desmosedici's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,378
Thanked: 407 Times
Default Re: Airconditioning in the Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
Those of you who have fitted the SuperKing blowers, did the installer use the standard vent/tubing?

My install done 4 years back and the installer removed the tubing and used bellow type pipes to the standard vents.

Any problems for those using standard tubing?

on another note, any way to activate the side-defroster vents which are currently covered with a lid? I saw this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-SAMUR...6dbea5&vxp=mtr


The windshield defroster vents are missing on the GYpsy though i do see the bolts. The ducting for that avail on ebay for ~$20!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-SAMUR...b496f5&vxp=mtr
My Gypsy has the air coming in via the standard vents.

Regarding the other functions, i think all the other blower functions are disabled or removed after the AC Install. The air will come only via the AC Vents, not on the feet etc though i have notived vents ahead of the gear level below the Audio HU Holder. The lever that changes the air flow doesnt work now.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 13:00   #117
BHPian
 
COUGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 538
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Airconditioning in the Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
My Gypsy has the air coming in via the standard vents.

Regarding the other functions, i think all the other blower functions are disabled or removed after the AC Install. The air will come only via the AC Vents, not on the feet etc though i have notived vents ahead of the gear level below the Audio HU Holder. The lever that changes the air flow doesnt work now.
Mine use the standard vents too.

However my q was to the piping/tubes under the dashboard that connects blowr to the standard vents - did your install retain these or did he eliminate them in favor of direct bellow type pipes?

wrt to the Vent control, i have seen a Army Gypsy with the heater installed. From what I understand the heater can only be installed if you are using the standard blower for the AC. Heater coil Kit fits into the stock blower only. In heater mode, hot air only comes out from the side vents, the windshield and in the leg area. Does a heater option exist for the Superking blower?

Was told it will cost aroun 9K in all to activate the heater with the stock blower including the piping and hoses etc.
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 15:24   #118
Senior - BHPian
 
Desmosedici's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,378
Thanked: 407 Times
Default Re: Airconditioning in the Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
Mine use the standard vents too.

However my q was to the piping/tubes under the dashboard that connects blowr to the standard vents - did your install retain these or did he eliminate them in favor of direct bellow type pipes?

wrt to the Vent control, i have seen a Army Gypsy with the heater installed. From what I understand the heater can only be installed if you are using the standard blower for the AC. Heater coil Kit fits into the stock blower only. In heater mode, hot air only comes out from the side vents, the windshield and in the leg area. Does a heater option exist for the Superking blower?

Was told it will cost aroun 9K in all to activate the heater with the stock blower including the piping and hoses etc.
No idea on how the piping was connected as i had purchased it pre-worshipped. and i dont have the heater option as well and dont think i would ever need it in Mumbai.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 21:10   #119
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default Re: Airconditioning in the Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
... and i dont have the heater option as well and dont think i would ever need it in Mumbai.
True, but you might someday decide to take a trip to the Himalayas up North, especially Ladakh! That is, in fact, what the Gypsy would call 'home'!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2014, 08:52   #120
BHPian
 
COUGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 538
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Airconditioning in the Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
True, but you might someday decide to take a trip to the Himalayas up North, especially Ladakh! That is, in fact, what the Gypsy would call 'home'!
Delhi in the winters and Uttaranchal at nights also needs a heater!
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gypsy vs Gypsy King prasygreat 4x4 Vehicles 90 15th April 2016 01:14
Swift Airconditioning performance emkay456 Technical Stuff 64 10th June 2013 21:33
Airconditioning cars, were we fooled? gigy Technical Stuff 65 7th June 2013 21:52
Gypsy or Classic ? Now bought Gypsy pdev29 SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 45 25th July 2008 11:19


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks