Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st June 2014, 21:27   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Airconditioning in the Gypsy

Why don't you guys try Mayapuri for a second hand compressor? I got one for my OHC 2003 recently. Instead of the 14k quoted by the authorised sanden retailer, I got one for 2k instead and it works perfectly! The compressor is the same make and model as the OEM OHC - Sanden.
sibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2014, 21:53   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benkoch View Post
.... Delphi 14/18 condenser ....
A lot depends on where the condenser is mounted!
Poor placement compromises the entire system.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 13:22   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
A lot depends on where the condenser is mounted!
Poor placement compromises the entire system.
Hey! do you happen to have photos of a condenser mounted on the roof? Just curious to know what is looks like.
benkoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 14:28   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey! do you happen to have photos of a condenser mounted on the roof? Just curious to know what is looks like.
Sorry, I don't have a photo, but the condenser is mounted at an angle of about 20 to 30 to the raked front roof of the hard top. An electric fan is fitted also, to supply air in stand still conditions. While moving there considerable ram air effect.
The liquid and the gas pipes emerge from the engine bay near the firewall and travel up along the A pillar to the condenser. Quite neat except that the condenser sitting on top does take a bit away from the overall looks of the car.
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2014, 09:29   #110

The AC mechanic at Wecool claims that the Super King blower will replace the stock blower and will fit behind the dashboard and NOT stick out from the dashboard taking leg space? Is this true? I would be worried if the blower's position were to cause discomfort to the driver or the front seat passenger?
Old 30th June 2014, 14:36   #111
BHPian

Quote:
The AC mechanic at Wecool claims that the Super King blower will replace the stock blower and will fit behind the dashboard and NOT stick out from the dashboard taking leg space? Is this true? I would be worried if the blower's position were to cause discomfort to the driver or the front seat passenger?
It wont take away any of the leg space.

However a part of the tray under the glovebox will have to be cut out or removed entirely. Part of the Glovebox may be sawed off too.
COUGAR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 22:04   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The AC mechanic at Wecool claims that the Super King blower will replace the stock blower and will fit behind the dashboard and NOT stick out from the dashboard taking leg space? Is this true? ...
I'm afraid it is not!
The Super King blower is large and will intrude just a bit into the passenger space. Nothing that I would consider as a deal breaker. In any case the Gypsy is not a vehicle you buy if you assign top priority to passenger comfort! It's a different kind of person that opts for the Gypsy!
The more important point is how will the stock radiator ever cope?!

Last edited by anupmathur : 30th June 2014 at 22:06.
Old 1st July 2014, 16:35   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm afraid it is not!
The Super King blower is large and will intrude just a bit into the passenger space. Nothing that I would consider as a deal breaker. In any case the Gypsy is not a vehicle you buy if you assign top priority to passenger comfort! It's a different kind of person that opts for the Gypsy!
The more important point is how will the stock radiator ever cope?!
Stock radiator should be enough. I am running a stock radiator with a fan ahead of the condenser (the usual setup). The fan alone can also be activated via a switch without the AC running when in stop go traffic. My temp needle goes slightly beyond the 50 mark maybe till 55 - 60, thats it.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2014, 20:58   #114

Talking Re: Airconditioning in the Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
It wont take away any of the leg space.

However a part of the tray under the glovebox will have to be cut out or removed entirely. Part of the Glovebox may be sawed off too.
Thanks for pointing this out. The size of the blower did make me wonder how it was going to easily fit under the dashboard. The mechanic didn't mention this, but will check with him.

Quote:
In any case the Gypsy is not a vehicle you buy if you assign top priority to passenger comfort! It's a different kind of person that opts for the Gypsy!
Totally agree with the point on comfort! But when you did buy a new Gypsy as your first car and when this is going to be your only car for a few more years, I think I ought to make it a little more comfortable, especially for those few special people (person rather)!!

One other question, has anyone had issues with the blower ever loosening from its position when you have had driven over bumpy roads for a while?
Old 10th July 2014, 11:40   #115
BHPian

Those of you who have fitted the SuperKing blowers, did the installer use the standard vent/tubing?

My install done 4 years back and the installer removed the tubing and used bellow type pipes to the standard vents.

Any problems for those using standard tubing?

on another note, any way to activate the side-defroster vents which are currently covered with a lid? I saw this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-SAMUR...6dbea5&vxp=mtr

The windshield defroster vents are missing on the GYpsy though i do see the bolts. The ducting for that avail on ebay for ~$20!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-SAMUR...b496f5&vxp=mtr
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 15:09   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Those of you who have fitted the SuperKing blowers, did the installer use the standard vent/tubing?

My install done 4 years back and the installer removed the tubing and used bellow type pipes to the standard vents.

Any problems for those using standard tubing?

on another note, any way to activate the side-defroster vents which are currently covered with a lid? I saw this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-SAMUR...6dbea5&vxp=mtr

The windshield defroster vents are missing on the GYpsy though i do see the bolts. The ducting for that avail on ebay for ~$20!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-SAMUR...b496f5&vxp=mtr
My Gypsy has the air coming in via the standard vents.

Regarding the other functions, i think all the other blower functions are disabled or removed after the AC Install. The air will come only via the AC Vents, not on the feet etc though i have notived vents ahead of the gear level below the Audio HU Holder. The lever that changes the air flow doesnt work now.
Old 11th July 2014, 13:00   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
My Gypsy has the air coming in via the standard vents.

Regarding the other functions, i think all the other blower functions are disabled or removed after the AC Install. The air will come only via the AC Vents, not on the feet etc though i have notived vents ahead of the gear level below the Audio HU Holder. The lever that changes the air flow doesnt work now.
Mine use the standard vents too.

However my q was to the piping/tubes under the dashboard that connects blowr to the standard vents - did your install retain these or did he eliminate them in favor of direct bellow type pipes?

wrt to the Vent control, i have seen a Army Gypsy with the heater installed. From what I understand the heater can only be installed if you are using the standard blower for the AC. Heater coil Kit fits into the stock blower only. In heater mode, hot air only comes out from the side vents, the windshield and in the leg area. Does a heater option exist for the Superking blower?

Was told it will cost aroun 9K in all to activate the heater with the stock blower including the piping and hoses etc.
Old 11th July 2014, 15:24   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mine use the standard vents too.

However my q was to the piping/tubes under the dashboard that connects blowr to the standard vents - did your install retain these or did he eliminate them in favor of direct bellow type pipes?

wrt to the Vent control, i have seen a Army Gypsy with the heater installed. From what I understand the heater can only be installed if you are using the standard blower for the AC. Heater coil Kit fits into the stock blower only. In heater mode, hot air only comes out from the side vents, the windshield and in the leg area. Does a heater option exist for the Superking blower?

Was told it will cost aroun 9K in all to activate the heater with the stock blower including the piping and hoses etc.
No idea on how the piping was connected as i had purchased it pre-worshipped. and i dont have the heater option as well and dont think i would ever need it in Mumbai.
Old 11th July 2014, 21:10   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
... and i dont have the heater option as well and dont think i would ever need it in Mumbai.
True, but you might someday decide to take a trip to the Himalayas up North, especially Ladakh! That is, in fact, what the Gypsy would call 'home'!
Old 12th July 2014, 08:52   #120
BHPian

Quote:
True, but you might someday decide to take a trip to the Himalayas up North, especially Ladakh! That is, in fact, what the Gypsy would call 'home'!
Delhi in the winters and Uttaranchal at nights also needs a heater!