Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2011, 00:58   #31
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,386
Thanked: 3,859 Times
Default re: Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
....like it is always suggested not to race the engine on cold starting....
.... So the message to be conveyed is that switch on the A/C at-least after five minutes of starting the engine.
Not necessarily.

For engines which are strained by the compressor - Yes.

For engines which are not strained by the compressor - No.

Revving a cold engine has a much.. much more deteriorating effect (lack of lubrication) than switching on an AC.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 15:54   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ghaziabad/Hyderabad/Mysore
Posts: 1,415
Thanked: 313 Times
Default re: Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No offense, but I find no value in this suggestion. I switch on the blower & compressor together, everytime, and still had my compressors lasting over 1,00,000 kms. If there was any disadvantage to switching on the compressor right away, manufacturers wouldn't give us the "Auto" climate control button in modern cars.

the reason given for the suggestion makes no sense - but there may be some value in it.

First, if the car is parked in sun for some time, blower only will give some fresh, colder-than-inside-the-car-air and drain the air that was sitting in the AC tubing too.

Second, if you opened the car after a long time, fumes from all the plastic would have built up inside (ALL plastic has stuff called plasticiser, which slowly gets out of it - and it is not great for healts) and fresh air will help reduce the concentration.


Of course, in both cases blower with recirculation is useless, and driving a few hundred meters with windows down is much better.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 14:39   #33
BHPian
 
swarnava.m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Margao
Posts: 631
Thanked: 253 Times
Default re: Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance

Pulling up this thread after almost a year, would like to put in my 2 cents.

In 8 years of ownership of my car, the AC has always been serviced by MASS, and never had any problems with any of the components or any kind of leaks. Gas top-up was always done when required, and cooling performance was satisfactory.

However, of late I heard many good things about one of the local shops that opened up in the area, who do only AC related maintenance. In fact, I was surprised to discover that they charge more than MASS for AC servicing. MASS charges 2200/- for my Alto, and their service gets over in about 30-45 mins.

I paid a visit to this shop today, and am happy about taking this decision. These guys charged 2500/- (all inclusive) and did an excellent job. The whole process took about 3 hours. The following procedures were carried out:

1. Remove the evaporator, and open it up.
2. Clean every part of it by hand.
3. Check for leaks.
4. Add sponge padding all around to prevent any air leaks.
5. Clean condenser.
6. Flush the entire system with compressed air.
7. Check for leaks.
8. Service the cooling coils.
8. Top up with fresh refrigerant and compressor oil.

Another thing I noticed is that these guys used DuPont r134a refrigerant, which MASS never does. And the performance of the AC now is something I have never experienced in my car previously, not even when it was brand new.

So my conclusion would be, it is not always correct to stereotype the local shops as compared to MASS. While MASS follows a routine procedure to do 50 cars a day, these guys do a much more sincere job for about 6-7 cars a day (with a much smaller man force, obviously). Also, the quality of workmanship and materials used seems to be much superior here. I had only heard of DuPont refrigerant, and was pleasantly surprised to see a local shop using it. They used a sealed can.

I would thus put forth the following observations.

1. The quality of maintenance work done depends more on the workmanship of the technician(s) rather than whether it is done from MASS or a local shop.
2. The quality of the consumable used makes a lot of difference, which here was DuPont as opposed to what MASS uses, (which is sometimes even adulterated, from what I have heard).

Hope this helps!
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 09:59   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,787
Thanked: 585 Times
Default re: Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance

I drive a 5 year old Swift driven mostly with AC on 90% of the time. I have never serviced my AC. So when i saw this thread, i am concerned if I should be doing something about it.

my AC has been working fine, no problems(cooling might have decreased, but it is still 70-80% of when it was brand new). So i am worried if i let the MASS touch the AC, i might end up breaking something which is working fine.

Is it recommended to service the AC periodically ?

Is there anything specific i need to ask my service center so that they dont end up quoting me a bomb

If it is really necessary, i am even open to giving it for AC experts(point me to some good ones in Bangalore).
rajshenoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 22:18   #35
BHPian
 
Guite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Noida, NCR
Posts: 459
Thanked: 169 Times
Default re: Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance

There does not seem to be a car AC servicing mega thread, so posting here. I will get straight to my questions, detail background can be found at the end within a quote box:

1. My car AC is working fine but there is harsh noise and vibration from the compressor; so much so that it induces headache. Is the compressor about to conk off? Can my car AC still be salvaged?
2. Is it normal for car AC to fail in three-four years?
3. If compressor needs to be replaced can I get cheap second hand compressor to last one more summer?

Quote:
My car (Getz prime) has endured two summers in Noida, this is the 3rd summer. Cooling wasn't too good recently so got it serviced (only AC) from Hyundai HASS in April this year. Got regular vehicle service done in early May, from same HASS.

Barely two weeks later radator fan failed. Immediately prior to that AC would stop functioning intermitently, probably because engine was getting too hot. However engine temperature warning light does not light up at that point of time.

Then one day later it got very hot even with AC on, just hot air was blowing through the vents. I glanced down to find that engine temperature warning light has come on. Called roadside assisitance and gave for repair next day, where they diagnosed radiator fan failure. Got it replaced at HASS. However when it came back from workshop I found high level of noise from the engine bay. So immediately suspected the new fan. Got it checked at two different HASS, both found nothing wrong.

Later I realised the harsh sound comes on only when AC in on. So sent it to Carnation today. They said compressor is nearing it end and replacement will cost 40K. So took it back without replacing compressor. However harshness is worse than yesterday. I am relating all this just incase it has a bearing on the compressor 'failure'.
4. Is Carnation assessment correct?
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 11:05   #36
BHPian
 
xbox360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 226
Thanked: 76 Times
Default re: Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance

My 8 year old Ford Ikon's AC cooling is getting pretty low. Can someone please suggest any shops that can attend to this issue preferably near Madhapur in HYD.

Also please also let me know whether only gas topup is recommended or should i go in for full AC servicing and the rough costs for the same.
xbox360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 12:35   #37
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,386
Thanked: 3,859 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360
My 8 year old Ford Ikon's AC cooling is getting pretty low. Can someone please suggest any shops that can attend to this issue preferably near Madhapur in HYD.

Also please also let me know whether only gas topup is recommended or should i go in for full AC servicing and the rough costs for the same.
Hi,

Most probable reason would be a leak in the system, mostly around the evaporator coil.

If the leak can be fixed, then you get your cooling back for just a refill, if not, you might have to spend ~5000 bucks and get your evaporator coil fixed.

- Dhanush
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 13:17   #38
BHPian
 
xbox360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 226
Thanked: 76 Times
Default re: Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi,

Most probable reason would be a leak in the system, mostly around the evaporator coil.

If the leak can be fixed, then you get your cooling back for just a refill, if not, you might have to spend ~5000 bucks and get your evaporator coil fixed.

- Dhanush
Thanks Dhanush, i will get it checkep up at a local repair shop today and diagnose the issue.
xbox360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 14:07   #39
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 23
Thanked: 8 Times
Default re: Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
There does not seem to be a car AC servicing mega thread, so posting here. I will get straight to my questions, detail background can be found at the end within a quote box:

1. My car AC is working fine but there is harsh noise and vibration from the compressor; so much so that it induces headache. Is the compressor about to conk off? Can my car AC still be salvaged?
2. Is it normal for car AC to fail in three-four years?
3. If compressor needs to be replaced can I get cheap second hand compressor to last one more summer?



4. Is Carnation assessment correct?

Had an issue with my car AC too. The compressor was extremely moody working whenever it felt like. Checked out the Skoda A.S.S. guys then at Carnation got quotes in excess of 80K and 60K at each (they wanted to change the whole system, coil/compressor/condenser). Then my FNM suggested a shop in Palika Bhavan, Ahmed & Malik (shop NO2) the guys checked it and replaced my compressor (original) including labor and all consumables with a one year guarantee for 22k. Must say extremely happy with the workmanship and the AC. You may want to visit them and have your car checked by them.
p.s. I don’t have any connections with them… just recommending based on my experience.
dexter78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 20:49   #40
BHPian
 
Guite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Noida, NCR
Posts: 459
Thanked: 169 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter78
You may want to visit them and have your car checked by them.
p.s. I don’t have any connections with them… just recommending based on my experience.
Carnation assessment was actually wrong. I went back to Hyundai service and they replaced radiator fan (installed old fan blade on new motor). Now it is working alright. I heaved a huge sigh of relieve.
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 16:30   #41
BHPian
 
Autocop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Thane/Nagpur
Posts: 322
Thanked: 89 Times
Default re: Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance

My Linea is 2.8 yrs old (has done 51K KMs so far) and since last few days I am observing following issues with AC.

1) Cooling had become ineffective (however, after cleaning the A/C Filter this has been sorted.)

2) Noise/Vibration coming from A /C Vents with blower speed in excess of 50%

3) Compressor makes huge vibrations, a. when dealing with Bumper-To-Bumber crawling traffic with A/C on for more than 15-20 mins, b. when running full blown a/c at highway speeds (Diagnosis:- got the OEM battery gravity/charging checked few days back, the battery has been daignosed to be weak and nearing end of life. When dealing with B2B traffic, believe compressor tries to extract power from battery which battery can't manage.. Hence this issue. I believe battery change should sort both 3a & 3b. For now, I am delaying battery change because very occasionally am required to deal with B2B traffic.)

I would like to sort out issue #2 above and validate issue #3 above with an independant AC workshop. Also somewhere I believe its better to do full AC Cleaning/Servicing, to improve cooling further and for overall well-being of A/C system.

Appreciate if bellow BHPians can suggest knowledgable/reliable AC Servicing Workshops in Thane/Mumbai area.

Last edited by Autocop : 1st October 2012 at 16:33. Reason: text change
Autocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 20:27   #42
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 74
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I drive a 5 year old Swift driven mostly with AC on 90% of the time. I have never serviced my AC. So when i saw this thread, i am concerned if I should be doing something about it.

my AC has been working fine, no problems(cooling might have decreased, but it is still 70-80% of when it was brand new). So i am worried if i let the MASS touch the AC, i might end up breaking something which is working fine.

Is it recommended to service the AC periodically ?

Is there anything specific i need to ask my service center so that they dont end up quoting me a bomb

If it is really necessary, i am even open to giving it for AC experts(point me to some good ones in Bangalore).
I have exactly the same query, I have Alto for around 4 years and AC is working fine but should I have some kind of servicing?
saurabh159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 22:34   #43
BHPian
 
bj96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 770
Thanked: 121 Times
Default re: Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
Compressor makes huge vibrations, a. when dealing with Bumper-To-Bumber crawling ... believe compressor tries to extract power from battery which battery can't manage.. ...
Compressor is driven off engine using a belt. The battery helps to hold the DC magnetic clutch engaged. It does not drive compressor. When idling, all engines vibrate a bit more. Actually amplitude of vibrations are felt more when idling. You feel more vibrations when idling or at slow speeds because compressor and engine may be resonating a bit. It is normal. With older cars, mount points for engine and compressor etc become weak/loose and you feel more vibrations.


Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh159 View Post
I have exactly the same query, I have Alto for around 4 years and AC is working fine but should I have some kind of servicing?
If you keep your radiator fins clean and check the gas pressure inside compressor, there is no need to any additional service. If you get some kind of odour from AC ducts then you can do disinfection of the ducts. There is a DIY of disinfecting AC ducts- search around the forum.



-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 6th October 2012 at 22:41. Reason: combine replies, fix typo
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2012, 19:46   #44
BHPian
 
IndigoXLGrandDi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solapur (MH-13)
Posts: 935
Thanked: 139 Times
Default re: Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance

@Autocop..
Its better to replace battery at the earliest to avoid left stranded in emergency situation.

Regarding vibrations at idle rpm, the Radiator fan comes On and turns at high speed which causes vibrations. When the Car is in motion the engine rpm is more and hence these vibrations are less felt.

Regarding your 2nd issue-- Does the issue of noise/vibrations from AC Vents with Blower speed in excess of 50% is present since the car was new or has arisen for past few days/months?
If its latter (arisen for past few days/months) the blower should be checked by a competent electrician.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 11:31   #45
BHPian
 
Autocop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Thane/Nagpur
Posts: 322
Thanked: 89 Times
Default re: Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance

your point about radiator van may be cause for vibration, Thanks for suggestion, will checkout next time this happens. The 2nd issue had started since the service guys didn't clean a/c filter due 4th paid service. After paying a visit to TASS, this has been resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
@Autocop..
Regarding your 2nd issue-- Does the issue of noise/vibrations from AC Vents with Blower speed in excess of 50% is present since the car was new or has arisen for past few days/months?
If its latter (arisen for past few days/months) the blower should be checked by a competent electrician.

Thanks for clarification, much appreciated. In case of my car, in bumber to bumper traffic the vibrations aren't felt for initial 15-20 mins. My point is in bumber to bumber traffic, engine is not producing its peak power, but the AC is still on consuming almost as much power. Engine power at idling may not be sufficient to power all devices Lights, AC etc, hence, I believe the AC would start drawing power from battery, and I guess this mechanism works well for 15-20 mins, but as battery comes close to draining, the vibrations start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Compressor is driven off engine using a belt. The battery helps to hold the DC magnetic clutch engaged. It does not drive compressor. When idling, all engines vibrate a bit more. Actually amplitude of vibrations are felt more when idling. You feel more vibrations when idling or at slow speeds because compressor and engine may be resonating a bit. It is normal. With older cars, mount points for engine and compressor etc become weak/loose and you feel more vibrations.
Apart from very irregular vibration issue (when encoutering B2B traffic situation), the AC is fine. Thanks fully there is no odour. It's still smells like a new car AC. The gas pressure seems to be OK, since the cooling is fine. I will certainly get the radiator checked and cleaned as suggested. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
If you keep your radiator fins clean and check the gas pressure inside compressor, there is no need to any additional service. If you get some kind of odour from AC ducts then you can do disinfection of the ducts. There is a DIY of disinfecting AC ducts- search around the forum.
-BJ
Autocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ? adityapd Gadgets, Computers & Software 5312 29th May 2017 09:46
Car Air-Conditioner Cleaning to remove bacteria & fungi anandpadhye Technical Stuff 110 2nd September 2016 12:34
Car, Van & Bus Air-conditioner Repairs : Welcome Car A/C (Taramani, Chennai) scopriobharath Chennai 1 10th December 2014 20:03
Bike Importers, Servicing, Repairs & Maintenance ap10046 Superbikes & Imports 18 14th November 2006 21:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:31.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks